Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Anyone know if you have to jet you carb after you get a pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 10:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FoxRacer08, check out the post for the topic "NEW LAKOTA". It ill help answer your question.
Lakota300cr

Old 05-15-2002, 08:15 PM
Range Rover

Gaff:

Hey thanks for the info. I am going to be running the 4" on my Mojave. I have the IDS on my Lakota too. I'm not sure if the 4" will mount up to the Lakota pipe. I'll check it out when I get the exhaust. I have looked through Dennis Kirk and other places and have never found the 4" racing series for the Lakota, so if you wanted to use it you would have to figure out a way to get it mounted yourself. Or maybe get a custom built header.

Thanks again. Later

Old 05-15-2002, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

montess,

I have not seen the prairie 650 kit as it is not posted with dynojet yet, other than the part number.

As far as the jet kit it's self weather you get 1, 2, or 3 they are all the same. It is the difference with the filter that decides what stage you are running. Like you will probably go with a filter so some refer to this as a stage 2.

I get very confused with this stage stuff and quads. The reason is on super sport street machines and race machines (not talking about quads or off road machines) they offer these stage 1,2,3 kits and they are different in some ways. It falls the same for the filters but they offer another needle for most machines that use clamp ons. Also the mains are a bit larger on a stage 3 compared to a stage 1.

It is not written in stone how or if you have to mod your air boxxes. What you do is mod it to your liken or don't mod it at all. The only difference would be the size main you would install. Sure performance won't be as graet as if you made swiss cheese out of it, but some thing tells me you won't be close course racing either. The actual dyno horse power and tourque numbers between a swiss cheese box and a good sound water tight box would be very little and it would all lie at the top end, don't think you would ever want to crack that beast open on any trails, wow that would be some scarey.

Now as far as that feller who made his air box swiss cheese. To be honest he came on and had a problem with running rich. If I remember correctly every one agreed just drop the main down one size. Instead he took the advice of make swiss cheese out of his air box.

Now in this case he was tuning his machine to the main he had in the carb by trying to get more air flow.

The way any one wants to do it, exspecialy in you prairie and utillity vehicle owners. You by the pipe you can live with. Most 4X4 owners don't like the harsh sound of a race pipe, so they usualy opt for a quiet series or a slip on quiet series. Then a 4X4 owner likes to keep water integrity of the air box to a maximum (for obvious reasons). Well this is just fine. Now this is the amont of flow you have decided that the machine has, now you just jet to that, no problem. Some where down the line that feller will have no air box left and will probably figure this out.

The only thing different MAYBE in jetting between the stage 1 and 2 is say the prairie has stage 1 mains of 150, 152, 154, and 156 (this is just a even number, I don't know what they are) well a stage 2 probably has mains of 152, 154, 156, and 158. Thats the only difference, the needles the same and the air/fuel mixture setting will be the same.

Old 05-16-2002, 06:01 AM
Pro Rider

Gaff

Thanks you cleared up all my questions. I have the kit on order now.

MonteSS

Old 05-16-2002, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

graet, weather what stage or what ever, you will enjoy the added performenc with out doubt. Good luck and look forward to your review when ever you get it all installed