Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New High Performance Quad?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the new ATV SPORT on pages 90-91 is a picture of Yokley on his Kawasaki 250 2-stroker. Now, if you read the caption for that picture it says"William Yokley aboard one interesting-looking Kawasaki dominated in the first two rounds of the series. Team Green Race Manager Reid Nordin confirmed that Yokley's current bike is only temporary and we'll see him on something truly Green soon." Now it would seem strange for them to take a quad that is kicking butt and replace it with something else. Hopefully it will be much better or who knows maybe it will be a production 2-stroker. This is only my speculation. What does everybody else think? Maybe it will be Kawasaki's Z400 version bike?? Can't wait to see.

Old 05-15-2002, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

The KX 250 leager framed quad yoakly has is truly a quad owners dream. But the production of this quad or another kawi 2 stroke will also be a dream.

Speculation goes round and round about the Z400 equiped kawi and the prairie 650 equiped sport machine.

I am with you, on the edge of my seat and waiting.

Old 05-15-2002, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<< The KX 250 leager framed quad yoakly has is truly a quad owners dream. But the production of this quad or another kawi 2 stroke will also be a dream.

Speculation goes round and round about the Z400 equiped kawi and the prairie 650 equiped sport machine.

I am with you, on the edge of my seat and waiting.
>>

yoakley's ride is a rolldesign quad.and yes that is a serious machine.and i wouldn't say it would be a dream for a new kawasaki two stroke quad,cause it could very well happen.
legislation is not going to be able to ban two strokes they are just going to mandate laws and restrictions for the cleaner running motors and they hope that will be enough to discourage manufacturers from building 2 stroke machines.but in fact that the 2 stroke can be built to run cleaner then a a 4 stroke is in the works. for the first time in history at the cleanest burning engine competition a two stroke won as the cleanest running engine .so there just might be a big resurgence in the 2 stroke atv industry.as you can see none of the bike builders have slowed down on the stroke technology and they are still building them like crazy.but they have developed a competitive alternative with the 4 stroke thumpers.
but in the future when the new improved cleaner running 2 strokes come out you bet they will all be fuel injected and have some type of emmissions on them with out any loss in power.
you just keep waiting the 2 stroke will return. and what would the snowmobile industry do with out the 2 stroke?

Old 05-15-2002, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

2 stroke technology is promising,Honda,husquvarna,and bimota all have played around w efi,radical activated combustion,particle trap exhaust valves the works like a power valve and egr all in 1.Yamaha had cats on an 85 rz 350 if ya put it all together im sure it would run cleaner then a 4 stroke.In fact 4 or 5 years ago The 1 sales manager at ACTION Yamaha,told me that Ford motor company was experienting w 2 strokes for cars and the 2 stroke ran circles around the 4 banger for emissions.I guess this guy has the game peeped from a Ford insider.If this is true this is good news.ALso why would they kill something off thats lite powerful and could make the 4 COmpanys millions of dollars.Hmmm I guess only time will tell at this point.

Old 05-15-2002, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

Kawasaki and Suzuki have a partnership in which they will be sharing certain models to fill out their lineup and to get better puchasing power. I'm pretty sure that Kawi will be selling a green version of the Suzuki 400Z soon. There also has been talk about a green GSXR 750 which most likely would be sold as the ZX7.

Old 05-15-2002, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Guys I don't want to flame you and all your statements of 2 stroke technology is correct.

Stop hoping for whats not going to happen. I have been riding and racing for some 35 years now, I have been on a 4 stroke for 8 months out of 35 years. I said the same thing you are all saying after my H2, then RZ 350, and then the RZ500, Not to mention the 30 or 40 dirt bikes I had. but look that was 17 years ago and they are long gone.

The banshee and blaster are the only 2 that come to mind that are on the market now and they are only ther because they have been out a million years unchanged. Every thing yamaha gets on these are pure profit.

Yes you will see 2 strokes go to europe and other countries, but plain old fact, they won't be coming here. That RZ500 I had, never sold in the US. I bought it from parker brothers yamaha in ontario canada and shipped it here for race only. They sent me the lights and blinkers a month later.

It's over guys, talk to whom ever you want, read what ever you want, it's over.

Old 05-15-2002, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look theres always a spoiler in the crowd.for the industry to flourish there will always be two strokes and they will continue to develop two strokes.and if the develop them to work for the off road industry and make them run clean they can do,then you can bet there will be a whole new lineup of streetbikes with two strokes also.

mark my words the 2 stroke kings will be back.

Old 05-16-2002, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

realy I'm not a spoiler. I've been grabbing a hand full of 2 stroke thrill my intire life.

I could sit here and rite a book about 2 strokes and my love for them. When they outlawed 2 stroke street machines in 76, I nearly cried. Then they sold the RD400 left over untill 78, I had a flutter of hope. Then in 84 here came the RZ 350's, wow life was looking better. In 85 I seen a article about a suzuki gamma, woooooow a 500 2 stroke V-4, I just had to have it.

So I went down in london (worked in europe at the time) and told the feller, the blue ones for me, then he said sorry if you wish to ship it to the US we can't sell it to you, ouch, big bummer.

So I came home and sat around a fire and told all my 2 stroke buds what I have seen. So bam, a idea, they must sell them in canada, did we call, hell no, ROAD TRIP.

Got to parker brothers yamaha in ontario canada a couple days later (left drunk and without a map, none of us knew french) Man low and be hold, a brand spanking new RZ 500, 1985 model. the most prettiest thing I ever saw. We struck a deal, $3500 US and he'd ship it for racing only, to cool.

But that my friend was the end of the 2 strokes, and it will be the end of the shee and blaster soon enough.

To design and build a new model 2 stroke quad would take tons of cash, and then another ton of cash to convinse the poeple who believe we all need protected from our selves to let them in the US. And of course every spoiled little brat will get one and within 6 months every spoiled little brats moma will be in court saying these quads hurt or killed my kid. Nobody will ever say he was in the back yard trying to play X-treme jumping with it, but just the same after millions are spent, they will never make it past moma.

Remember, the poeple you are asking to make these quads have been down this road more than once, how many times do you hit your self in the head with a bat before you stop!!

Old 05-16-2002, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

I hear ya,
had a 78 KTM 400..man that would fly..then a 84 Husky 430..point it in the right direction when you get on it..then quit riding for a while..look at the dirt bikes now. back in 78 they started with the xr 500 &amp; tt models, now there is the yz426 f, so go figure the way the manufactures are trying to go..as far as emmissions go, they have to pass a certain amount, so they average all the offroad stuff with the road bikes..then penalize the street bikes with lean running carbs, &amp; restrictive intakes..but the question is this, how much emmisions does a good running bike (fast) really make on the street if it gets 35-42 MPG? I think that the EPA needs to go after buses &amp; trucks more..the feds have already mandated what the top speed is on some of the models..my truck's ignition cuts out at 100 mph..my bike has a speed limiter in it at 114, all of this is routed through the ignition circut, &amp; done to certain modsls so others can have performance..I see the trend continuing as well..possibly sport model quads with larger displacement 4 stroke technology..you can control emmisions a lot better if things are water cooled..
one of the biggest gripes about the passive recrationalist is of noise from a 2 stroke, or race machine..and oil residue from watercraft..so they lobby the government to make it harder to meet emmisions (the manufactures have a decent percentage of registered(tagged) vehicles that cost more than the most $$$$ quad/dirtbike/PWC they sell..)&amp; start closing down areas to enjoy motorsports..so that is the climate we live in at a federal level..I really don't want someone telling me that it is a crime to rejet a street bike &amp; change the exhaust..but that is where it is headed..