Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I rode a griz 660 this weekend and these are my views>>>

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, This thread is in no way posted to say bad things about the Grizzly 660. Actually its a KICK **** machine...! I own a 02 Prairie 650 and on this weekends ride I rode my friends 02 Grizzly 660 for a long time while he rode my P650. This post is just a rundown of my opinions of what I liked and what I didn't like and just some other information to help people make a decision if they are considering the two. So here we go...

First off the Grizzly 660's seat is WAY more comfortable that the P650's. Its a lot softer and a bit more narrow where you sit. The P650's seat is a little wider and a little stiffer. The seat on the 650 is still comfortable, but if I had to say which I thought was best the Griz660 would be the winner.

-------------------------------------------

Rear suspension - Hands down the Griz660 is the most comfortable ride. The IRS is like riding on a cloud. You could tear down any trail and barely feel the bumps. If your looking for the best ride then the Griz660, with its IRS is what you should buy. I myself prefer the solid axle though. Like I said in a different post>>

"If I had my choice I would still want a solid axle. Yeah the ride might be a little bumpy at times, but for the most part my P650 is still super comfortable. When I was riding the Griz660 the cornering and handling was no where near as good as my P650. I love the fact that with my P650 I can ride really aggressive and slide through turns."

IRS Vs solid axle...well that decision needs to be made on personal preference and riding style. If your looking for superior comfort and don't like to feel bumps then the Griz660 is the winner. If you want great trail performance, i.e.. Better corning, sliding and a sport like feel then the P650 is the winner.

Acceleration - When going down the trail at about 30mph and nailing the gas the P650 moves out. If you do that on the Griz660 is gets up and goes, but just doesn't have the grunt that the P650 has. Probably due to the single cylinder vs. the twin.

LCD Displays - They both have nice LCD displays that give you most of the things you need to see. The gas gauge on the P650 I like a little bit more than the 660's cuz it has more bars for a better reading. The Griz660 does have a green backlit display versus the yellowish one on the P650. I think the green looks really good. The only problem I noticed with the Griz660's display is that while I was riding and the sun was out and overhead it reflected a few time off the the display's plastic and shined right in my eyes. Someone else rode his Griz660 that day and the same thing happened to him. No big deal, but it happened.

Shifter - The winner of this one is the P650's. Its a no brainer to shift between R N H and L. On the Griz660 you have to play around sometimes to get it in gear. The Griz660 does have indicator lights that tell you your in so that's good, but for ease of use the P650 wins. Also you cannot start the Griz660 in gear like you can with the P650. You have to have it in neutral. I like the fact that you can hold the brake on the P650 and start it in any gear.

Vibration - The Griz660 seems to vibrate a bit more than the P650. It's probably due to the single cylinder. The P650 is super smooth and I'd say wins this category.

Steering - While I was riding the Griz660 it felt as if the handlebars where "floating" around. It's a bit easier to steer, but it doesn't give any feedback. What I like about the P650 is when you turn you can feel the handlebars giving resistance. I think they call this "machine feedback" or "machine response" or "steering feedback". Anyway, I prefer the P650's steering characteristics more than the "loose" feel of the Griz660's.

Diff lock - This one is hard to say. I made a post before saying I liked the P650's diff lock cuz you can grab it when you need it and don't have to stop and flip a switch, but I have a few gripes about it now. I got stuck in a mud pit this weekend where I had to get off the ATV to pull it and give it gas and it was real awkward to reach far and hold the diff lock in and give it gas. I had to use both hands on the bars and awkwardly try to pull, give it gas and work the diff lock at the same time. If I had the Griz660's I could have had the diffs locked and had a free hand while working the gas. They both have there place though. If you don't need to get off the bike when you get stuck the P650's diff lock is nice, but if you need to get off the bike and pull the Griz660 is better.

Wheelies - 2 wheel drive high gear and hit the gas and I guarantee the front end of the P650 is coming up high. My friend tried to do wheelies with his griz660 and he couldn't in 2 wheel high. People say you can do it in low, but he didn't try that that.

Well these are a few main points about the two I was wanting to share with everyone. They are both awesome machines and if you decide to buy one or another I highly suggest to decide what type of rider you are and to test drive both machines....Thanks for reading =)

Old 05-21-2002, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

I think you are right on Lackdog, seems to be pretty much what everybody else says. Lets add some things:

Brakes - front and rear, better on the 650.

Belt - life, much better on the Griz 660. Sorry guys, but it's true.

Frame, racks and bumpers - Much more solidly made on the 650, less chance of a bend. Floorsupports on 660s are fatiging and cracking very often.

CVT vents - Much better intake placement on the 660, has a trap too. Much worse exhaust vent placement on the 660, grizzlys seem to get water in belt a lot easier if they stop in the water.

Hitch - 650, you have to buy it (usually). The 660 has one stock, but it is not in a very convenient spot, plus it is easy to break the two bolts holding the ball mount on.

Plastic- 660 has thicker plastic and better colors. The plastic floorboard on the 660 is relatively easy to break a little piece off, but it costs $140 to replace. The 650 has cheesy plastic trim which breaks easier, but at least you get to replace much less expensive pieces.

Oil filter access sux on the 660.

The 660 stores more mud, branches and debris in the skids, and front suspension than the 650.

Ground Clearance? Of course, 660.

Old 05-21-2002, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

I rode BOTH machines before deciding on the P-650. It just fit my riding style better. The Grizz, IMO, is a better mudding machine. I go around water and mud holes when I can. The P-650 IS definately smoother. The Grizz engine vibrates considerably, compared to the Kaw. I like the flat cornering, and being able to slide the rear end around. The wheelies are cool, too! I like being able to get the frt. end light when bustin' down a trail full of mud holes.
They are BOTH great bikes, in their own right. I like the Grizz, but I LOVE my P-650!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2002, 01:27 PM
Range Rover

Hmmm....Here's a question...What would put a bigger smile on a man's face:

A) going threw a mud hole on a grizzly, crawling over stumps, logs, rocks and gobs of mud, you make your way through as you feel like you're the man and on an unstoppable vehicle and king of the forest...

or

B) PORKING THE 650 COMING OUT OF ANY TYPE OF TERRAIN HAVING TO HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE AS YOUR CHEEKS AND THE SKIN ON YOUR FACE GETS STRETCHED BACK FROM THE ACCELERATION AND TORQUE. YOU POWERSLIDE THE REAR END OF THE MACHINE OUT ON EVERY SINGLE CORNER LIKE YOU ARE RUNNING A BAJA RACE FOR A $2 MILLION PURSE AND YANK THE FRONT END UP WITH EASE AND RIDE POWER WHEELIES LIKE YOU BELONG ON THE MOTOCROSS TOUR. YOU LOOK BACK ONLY TO SEE THAT NO ONE IS BEHIND YOU ANYMORE AND YOU REALIZE THAT YOU NEED TO STOP AND GET THE BUGS OUT OF YOUR TEETH BECAUSE YOU COULDN'T STOP SMILING FROM THE ADRENALINE RUSH.

hmmm....I think I'd take B.

The 650 is still comfortable and can mud just like the grizz can, you may have to work a little harder at mudding, but there is no comprimise for more torque and acceleration...NONE. I am not afraid of mud especially when you feel the power and diff lock kick in going through the slop...and you KNOW people are watching!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2002, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

HAHAHHAHA Parker

Your a classic...its great when you find someone with your type of humor...its oustanding when you find someone who can dissiminate facts in such a funny manner :-)

I to have a Kawi 650 and love it...i cant get mine to wheelie...would love to figure how they do that...but does the thing fly and has easily done anything i have asked of it or challenged it to do...I am looking for some mud though to see how it likes to play in that...but sand, hills, and rugged trails have not presented a problem yet.

Old 05-21-2002, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

Dokyo, I used to live in Provo, and one thing I noticed moving to a lower elevation, is that everything here runs like it has about a 2psi supercharger on it. My 650 breathes air pressured to around 2psi here more than yours does there. I think my jets are richer too. they should be, but I haven't really heard what you thin air breathers are using.

Probably the reason we are all wheelieing more.

Old 05-21-2002, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the input Nyroc

been following the forum for awhile and you must be one of the prairie gurus...tried to follow your air intake mod but got lost...going to order an after market one once racing G or something like that makes it...guy guranteed me it would just clip on like the stock...cant wait...trying to figure out air filter which should help...once those two are done will look at jetting ...new to atv's and mechanic stuff...but very interested and motivated...its a blast...again thanks for the input...outstanding quad you have in those pictures by the way

Old 05-21-2002, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Heres about 70 pics of last weekends ride where I rode the Griz660. I'm taking the pics so none are of me and my P650...actually there is one pic of me doing a wheelie. As you can see in the pics there are 2 VERY large mudholes. The first day and first mud hole me with my P650, my friend with his Griz660 and my other friend with a Polaris 700 were the only ones out of our group of 19 even try to go through the hole. We all got stuck at one point but made it to the other side. Look close in some of those pics and you can see my friend with his Griz660 waist deep in the water...he had to jump off. The next day and the next mud pit only me and my friend with the griz660 tried that hole and we went through no prob and on the way back he got stuck and I had to pull him loose.

http://lackdog.com/atv/atv.html

Old 05-21-2002, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent pix. Quality is teriffic. What camera do you use?

Old 05-21-2002, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

You think those pics look good...? I though they were just so-so. I took them all at 640x480 so i could take more pics, but the camera does 1280x960 and thats on normal quality. The camera I used is a Fujifilm MX 1200. It's an older camera and for the price I paid for that one (300) you can get there newer model. Glad ya liked the pics...next time il take them at a higher res so they will look even better. I have a 64 meg card and at 640x480 i can take over 300 pics and at 1280x960 i can take 100.....=)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/MX12/M12A.HTM

Quick Reply: I rode a griz 660 this weekend and these are my views>>>