Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I rode a griz 660 this weekend and these are my views>>>

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 08:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lackdog,

I agree they're both good machines, I had a tough time deciding. Ultimatly it coems down to IRS vs Solid Axle. I do like the diff lock on the Prairie better. Saturday I was on some trails where there was still some very deep wet drifts in the shady spots, I like being able to grab the diff lock and hit the gas. I also tried getting stuck and pushing while simultaneously operating the gas, reverse overide, and diff lock. That didn't work too well, I supose you could bungee the diff lock if things got real ugly, I still like it better.

Old 05-21-2002, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

i thought your revew of the grizzly was pritty damn close to the truth!!!
to respond to what you said...
the mud issue, and it getting trapped in the skid plates is right on. i cant stand it. i solved this problem by cutting off the stupid rear lip that actually holds it all on, and now it rolls off alot better.
my grizzly does wheelies in high or low. the trick is to sit back, and not to try from a dead stop. if you engage the belt slightly, then romp it, it will get up.
as for mudding in it, it makes you feel invinsible!!! i have had it to the racs more than i care to mention, and it just plows its way through.
the belt getting wet. it wont get wet till you get mud or water to the racks, then it just flows in. i solved that by snorkling, heehee.
the grizzlys speed and power is not to be underestimated. i always seem to get behind a prarie in a race by a quad, or 1 1/2, and then keep right with him till top end, where i can finally pass. i rarly ride top end, so it really doesn't matter if one is faster, as long as they both fly!!!
powersliding. i have gotten mine sideways alot. it is easy to powerslide too, but you have to get used to it is all. i went from a solid axle to it, and it took time. now i can keep with the best of them.
all i can say is prarie or grizzly, there both ausome quads!!!

my pictures

Old 05-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

I agree also. As far as the speed issue goes what i've found out was which ever rider weighs the less will win. The reason why i say that is because i can race my 660 against my brother-in-law's 650 and i win, then we switch bikes and i still win by about the same distance. I weigh about 25 to 30 lbs less. So its what ever a person likes. The only complaint that i've got about the 650 is the constant whinning. And the only complaint about the 660 is the stinking rev limiters and the access to the engine compartment.

Old 05-21-2002, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Going back to the orginal critique of the grizzly.
If you pull or push down on the rear brake leavers you can start the grizz in gear. I also am able to get wheelies in high gear,which was made easier by stiffining up the rear shocks. I also am able to put the rear of the bike just about anywhere I want it to be by the amount of throttal I give it. I have not had a chance to ride with a praire but from what I have read the speed diff,(if any)isn't enough to brag about.I did look at a praire before buying my grizz and they do look like a good machine. However the IRS is a better fit for me and the way I ride(since I am old and fat)SMOOTHER IS BETTER!

Old 05-21-2002, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

I still can't believe that one stinky magazine picked the 700 as ATV of the year. That magazine is stupid.

It is not big deal, the 650 has won about 5 or 6 ATV of the year awards compared to the 700's one award. I can't remeber them all, I can only name 2 and describe one other.

Anyway, that one stinky magazine was so far off, they picked the 700 over the 660 (musta been paid?). My 660 friend rides with 700s and his 660 cleans the 700 on every aspect. I think all the other ATV reviewer magazines and TV shows picked the 660 ahead of the 700.

The 660 is a great quad beats the 700 hands down. With stock tires, the 650 doesn't stand a chance in the mud. I made all the 660's and 700's with stock tires (90% of them) look stupid in the mud with my 28" mudzillas. My 660 friend has lesser mud tires than I do (27" mudrunners), but his 660 can go through the equivalent mud that mine can, and still drive a lot nicer on hardpack. Now that I have my summer tires, I am just going to go around the mudholes that he goes through.

Old 05-25-2002, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

Lackdog, only one little itty bitty thing, the grizz does start in gear, have to have brakes on though.

edit added: Oh I see ghostgrizz got the start in gear thing, anyhow I thing the grizz has a lot of life potential by addapting raptor engine mods. Achieving 60hp shouldn't bee too much of a strecth.

Old 05-26-2002, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

This thread was the best I have read to date going back six months since I started reading ATV Forums. There was humor and non-biased opinions without any slamming. Great job guys!

Daryn

Old 05-26-2002, 08:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Have to agree on that.