Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Stock p650 tire comparison with 489 x/t's and all the 589 series tires >>>

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm going to be getting new tires and rims soon for my P650 and I want to keep the new ones as close to the stock weights as possible. I found out all the weights of the tires im interested in versus the stock weights and I would like to know your guys opinion on what ones i should go with and if one set weighs more will it make that much of a differance. I am going to be keeping the stock tire dimensions of 25x8x12 for the (F)front and 25x10x12 for the (R)rear. The 3 tires i am considering are the Titan 489 x/t's, the Titan 589 m/t's and the ITP 589 M/S's. Heres the weights of all of them

Titan 489 X/T's
[F]16lbs
----------all 4 total = 76lbs [+14.3lbs over stock P650 tires]
[R]22lbs

Titan 589 M/T's
[F]22.1lbs
----------all 4 total = 102.2lbs [+40.5lbs over stock P650 tires]
[R]29.0lbs

ITP 589 M/S's
[F]20.3lbs
----------all 4 total = 93.0lbs [+31.3lbs over stock P650 tires]
[R]26.2lbs

stock P650 tire weight
[F]13.22lbs
----------all 4 total = 61.7lbs
[R]17.63lbs

####################################

Ok, now that all the weights and differances have been stated its decision time. I really like both 589 tires over the 489's. I like the Titans because they have the anti suction things, but they are also 9.2lbs heavier than the ITP's. Will that 9.2lbs make much of a differance...? I really want top end and acceleration to stay the same. Do the Anti-suction things on the Titan 589's really work and make much of a differance...? Anyway if any of you can give me more insight or opinions I'd appreciate it....thanks

Old 06-06-2002, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

9lbs is not enough to feel. 40 lbs over the stockers is noticeable. But I would rather take the extra 40lbs than be driving on dunlop tires that feel like some wet towels tied around my rims.

Have you looked into the Maxxis Sur trak? I like the tread pattern a bit better than 489s. They are a lot lighter than some of the tires you listed, and have excellent bite and handling. I have em and love em. They weigh 18.5lb front, and 21.8lb rear.

I don't know about the 2 ridges between the lugs on the Titan, but the step downs in each tread really do give you better harpack traction. This wears faster than solid, but works nice.

If you ride around nails, and thorns and stuff, you may not want the lightest tires.

Old 06-06-2002, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

lackdog--- You didn't mention what you were doing with the tires. I know from personal experience that the 589 M/T's, while heavey, are an excellent all-round mud/trail tire. They work well on the hard pack, too. I have them on my Honda Foreman. The extra little grooves in the carcass, between the lugs are to relieve suction from that gooey clay mud(that's what I read, anyhow). They also kicka$$ in the snow! These tires are fine for slow to medium riding speeds, I do not believe they are the ticket if you are riding your P-650 like a sportbike. They would not be MY choice any how.
The Maxxis Sur Trax(REARS) are pretty respectable in even the deep mud. They are on the soft side(compound wise) and I don't think they would hold up well in real rocky areas. I use ITP Spiders on the frt. I am well satisfied with this combo for MY style of riding, which is fast trail riding, and mudding(when I have to) in the Appalachian Mtns. of S.E. Ohio and S. WVa.
Hope I didn't confuse you EVEN more!
nyroc has some pix of my tires and bike on his site.

Old 06-06-2002, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm. The type of riding I do...man thats a hard one. Well when we go to the UP it's all types of riding. Some times you have to travel down long rock roads to get to certain areas and I drive fast on those (Avg. about 50mph). Then we get into some real tight trails where you have to go very slow through technical stuff. Then theres some trails that are pretty steep uphills that are very rocky. Then theres sand trails and alot of hard pack. Not to mention alot of water crossings and lake/stream riding and some massive mud holes/bogs we play in.

Now when you say the Titan 589 M/T's wear faster, how fast is fast. If I'm going to spen 500+ dollars on tires and rims I want something that will last. It sounds as if the ITP 589 M/S's will last longer cuze they are solid lugs. They are also 9.2lbs lighter for all 4 over the Titan 589 M/T's. The only thing hindering my decision between the Titan 589's and the ITP's is the 9.2lb weight differance and the anti suction bars. Do the anti suction bars really make that big of a differance...? The mud I have encountered up there really isn't clay mud so would I be compromising 9.2lbs for anti suction bars I don't need...? The price for either tire is the same. I just want to make sure I'm getting what will be best for me and my riding style. Also, if i were to hit 60+ mph at times with the 589's would it be a horrible ride...? Sorry I ask so many questions but 500 bucks is alot of money and I want to make the best choice. You guys understand =)

Anyway if you can answer any of these questions i'd appreciate it..thanks

Old 06-07-2002, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ditto to what the above comments say. Plus the most important feature of the 589 m/t (in my opinion) is the bead protector they have. The bead is inset about a 1/4 inch from the outer edge of the tire. This feature has saved my rims from many a ding. Also the report I read said the 589 m/t has an 1 and 1/8 inch tall lug where as the 589 m/s is 1 inch. The lugs on the m/t are not actually "hollow", That extra 1/8 inch is what forms the raised edge on the lug. so actually I think the m/t's should last longer. (Unless they are made of a softer compound.) The m/t's are 6 ply, not sure what the m/s are. Both versions of 589 will out handle the stockers hands down. My m/t's were quite stiff until they broke in and I lowered the air pressure down to about 3.5 to 4 pounds. I bought the 27 inch version and love them. Very rugged tire. I can still hit 60 mph so not to bad for 27's. hope this helps. I think a 25" m/s or m/t would be an excellent choice but I would opt for the m/t for the bead protector hands down. Not sure if the stripes in between the lugs are effective or not. Sounds good on paper though.

Old 06-07-2002, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

I noticed that my 650 can power slide on asphault. It is really fun to do, but wears the tread of my surtraks surprisingly fast.

Interesting data that trbolvr has on 589s. I like the M/T, not because of the anti suck bars, but the raised lip on each **** makes for better hardpack traction. Rim protectors are nice. I need valve stem protectors. I went for a short ride in the mud, and a stick poked my valve stem. I heard hissing and had to race back to the truck. I replaced both front ones with steel valve stems.

Old 06-07-2002, 03:06 AM
Pro Rider

For all purpose use; trails, rocks, gravel, mud, snow -- Durability -- Light Weight. This sounds like a job for GOODYEAR MUDRUNNERS. I am going to get some 25" Mudrunners for dry season sport riding/all purpose use.

Daryn

Old 06-07-2002, 05:26 AM
Range Rover

I have the Titan 589 M/T 25 inchers on the c series and they are heavy compared to stock for sure. I didn't know how much but with 25's i think i get a fairly sporty handling . They sure tear up the yard though. I agree with the other guys on the protection issue.

Old 06-07-2002, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

lackdog-- I thought that I posted that the MAXXIS SUR TRAX are a soft compound(IMO), not the 589's. I forgot about the "bead-saver" shoulder built into the 589's. No, I don't think the "sucker grooves" are worth the extra weight, either!
Another Sur-Trax advantage is that they are REVERSIBLE, and can be used as SAND TIRES! nyroc, did you notice the 2 arrows on the sidewalls??? Check my pix on nyroc's site. I sent him some when he was tire shopping. There are some good, clear pix of the Sur-Trax.
MORE CONFUSED?????????? My tire/bike pix are #'s 33 thru #36 on nyroc's site
PS---I have heard good things about the G.Yr. Mud-Runners from the Polaris folks. It seems Polaris sees fit to put REAL tires on thier bikes at the factory.(what an innovative idea!)

Old 06-07-2002, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

I have mudrunners on the front. My friend has them all the way around.

Mudrunners ride better (softer on bumps) than 589s, and they weigh the same in the small sizes, maybe a little lighter in bigger sizes. They don't wear very fast.

589s are better in the mud. My friend's friends have 589's, and he feels they ride well and handle well, but it is hard for him to get a handle on the difference yet.

Sur traks handle better, ride better and have much better hardpack and rock traction than 589s or Mudrunners. Lighter than 589s and mudrunners. Poorer mud traction (but still pretty good). I think they wear faster, but I already explained why you don't want to let me ride your 650 with new treads on it. I think this is a much better tire for someone who spends most of his time on hardpack, playing around. I like to wheelie and jump a lot. The sur trak dry traction makes these kinds of activities a whole lot better.

Quick Reply: Stock p650 tire comparison with 489 x/t's and all the 589 series tires >>>