Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

How good are Lakotas???? R they reliable??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have someone wanting to trade me a Lakota for my CR250, I have read several post of people having to work on the engine internals. Is this a problem with them or are they reliable? My Warrior has never been torn apart and I dont want a quad(4stroke) that has to be torn apart as often as a 2 stroke. His is a 02 Lakota, what are the good and bad points to this year?

Old 06-17-2002, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

Im pretty sure that the Lakota is a good reliable machine.
The motor is based on the Mojave, and that motor is deff. reliable.
The Lakota is auto clutched, though. Not manual.

The Lakota.... The CR250. Two COMPLETELY different machines.
If you bought the CR, why would you be interested in the Lakota?
Wait, your CR is an 88? Thats a bit older. (but great bike, I know
from exp.) If he wants to traid straight up.... do it.

1500 dollar CR, 4500 dollar Lakota? Trade.

Old 06-17-2002, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

I have hierd no problems whats so ever with the lakota's, any year. The are extreamly quick and nimble threw the woods.

With 300 in bolt ons it realy wakes it up. The auto clutch takes a bit getting use to.

The only one I can think of having problems would be bigbad400. If you read back in his postings you will see why

Old 06-17-2002, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

The Lakota motos is actually based off the 300 Bayou(one of the most reliable machines out there), not the Mojave. The frame and suspension is based off the Mojave. Yes, the Lakota is very reliable. Myself and several others on here run them pretty hard with minimum probs. Gaff has done some modding inside his motor that takes a little more attention, other than that not many have ever had to open it up from what I've ever heard. Bigbad has had some probs., but this could be related to maintenance. Not picking on ya Bigbad, but we have discovered this is somewhat true [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] As long as you keep up on the "upkeep", it should last you a long time. It's not going to win you many drag races(pipe, jet, and high flow filter will make a world of diff., however), but it's damn hard to beat in the woods!

Old 06-17-2002, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds great glad to hear the luck with them. I am doing lots more woods riding now on my Warrior.
MR350X I dont really ride the bike as much as I should, I am really riding my quads alot these days. And I will trade with him when sends me a picture so I can see what shape its in.

if
i get this i will add some 25"s on it for the wood/mud. What tires would work good for me thought about blackwaters or spidertracs????

Old 06-17-2002, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer

My Lakota so far has been bullet-proof. With the right rider it can keep up with my warrior pretty good. It's alot heavier, slower, and less powerful than the warrior though. Overall it's a really good bike for trails and mild sport riding. I would go with the spider traks over the blackwaters.

P.S. Does anyone know where I can get a 13 tooth front sprocket for one?

Old 06-17-2002, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

www.rockymountainatv.com......They have the 13T for $6.99.

I think the 13T is the single best mod for the lakota, although I did put one on with everything stock and it handled it but you could tell it needed a couple HP to realy handle it well.

I found when I MX race the lakota that 12T and 13T are needed due to having no clutch to feather out on the corners. depends on the track set up.

It realy is a graet machine, I would suggest it to any one.

Old 06-17-2002, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

I got a 99 Lakota (not the sport) but it looked better than the stock SPORT when it came out. It's tricked out pretty good on the outside ~ no internal goodies. It's mainly my wife's ride and what my buds and me call our "SCRUB DAY". This is our secondary bike day - creek and woods only riding!

I can tell ya now the thang is TUFF AS WOODPECKER LIPS!! And that's no lie! Had it 3 1/2 years now with NO breakdowns! It's a hell of a hardpack hillclimber. In drag races I was beating some 300ex's. Mine has a Cobra Racing Core, K&N and jet kit. Quiet core for the days the wife is driving it.

I recommend them to anyone as well. Nice quad.

Has anyone here cut their plastix yet? I'm wanting to do mine right now! As a matter of a fact, I think I'm going to start a post... help me out...see ya!

Old 06-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the responses , this helps alot in making my desicion. I will trade if he hasnt already beat the hell out of it. Sounds like i could make it into a nice woods quad.

Gaff how much of a power increase did that 330 kit make? Sounds like it runs pretty good. And how much is invloved in converting it to a manual clutch? I am sure there is a thread on here about the manual conversion already.

Old 06-17-2002, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

I have what we would call a mild built 330 kit, it's only 10.5:1 compressoin compare to the stock 8.6:1 comp. that it comes with. I can tell you it hooks good and runs bretty damn hard and fast compare to stock or a stock 400EX, but I believe the cam would work awsome with the kit to run hard up top. I like the cam but not opt to get one becaause I love the abillity to run races and still be able to run in the woods with a hand full of power.

The 330 kit among the other mods have left me feeling real strong against any thing. I run any thing at any time and do very very well. There is better to ride I'm sure but this thing runs and runs and runs so I can only say is you can go as far as you want, but you will be it's only limitations.

As far as a manual clutch, I've found the way to do it, but haven't provened it yet. 98lakota has one and I'm sure it screams with a manual clutch.