Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki Prairie 650 V-Twin or Honda Rincon 650

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 03:03 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

As you may know, I'm very interested in purchasing a 2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650 V-Twin in October. I'm becoming a little sceptical about the CVT belts, either slipping, making noise or breaking. I need to have concrete proof, if Kawasaki fixed this problem. It seems like an excellent machine otherwise. I rode one and fell in love with it.

The new Honda that is coming out seems like a nice machine. The only thing that I dislike about it is the IRS rear suspension, drum brakes and I heard the price tag is going to be around $7500.00

Can someone help me deside which one will be best for me? Or, does anyone have any type of evidence that the CVT belt system for the 2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650 V-Twin has been corrected?

Thank you for your comments,

IronBear

Old 06-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Range Rover

all i can say is what problem? i run 28" outlaws and have NO squeek in low or high gear ranges. all you have to do is spend 20 bucks for the black spring.as for belts breaking, the chances of it breaking are slim to none.

Old 06-18-2002, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

My belt made some noise, but took dealer 20 minutes to fix. I love Hondas, but I don't think they are ready for P650. They might have a answer later, but I don't THINK the Rincon is it!

Old 06-18-2002, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Ironbear, belts don't ever break on the trail. They can be ruined by being very stupid if you ever get it wet.

Even at that, it takes me 10 minutes with 3 tools to replace it.

I'm definitely not afraid of any belt. Even if the 650 power wears them out a little fast, I just don't care. I think they are just about as hard to change as a tire on a car. If you can't do that every one or two years (or are not willing to pay the dealer to do it) you better get the Rincon. I think I could change my belt with my eyes closed, but it would take me longer, I might need some bandaids and I would have a 50% chance of putting it on backwards. It is just plain easy. Easy Easy Easy. Bring it by my house, I will do it for you free.

Old 06-18-2002, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

Long drive but still cheaper and more reliable thatn a dealer!

Old 06-18-2002, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

If you want a sporty atv, buy the Prairie. Remember, you can't powerslide independent rear suspension atvs, and I wouldn't give up that ability. Another thing to consider is the Rincon has been described by Honda as their Acura of ATVs. Its very heavy on the styling and plastic everywhere...slam into a tree with a praire and you've got a bent brush guard, do it with a rincon and you've got broken plastic all over the ground. That automotive style transmission sounds really good, but I'd be leary about sinking a civic transmission in muddy water all the time. I bet there's alot to go wrong in there besides a little belt. Of course, if you just want to cruise around a parking lot and look cool, buy a rincon and leave the prairies for a real rider.

Old 06-18-2002, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thats right!

Old 06-18-2002, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

I say since your waiting until October to buy anyway, wait until the Rincon comes out and people actually get ride time on it. It is hard to say how it will ride until people get seat time. I know I am not a fan of it not having a locker or disk brakes all around. And the styling is rather plasticy and ugly in my opinion.

Can't power slid an IRS? I do it all the time on my fathers SP500. It is not as easy as on my 650, but it is not hard to do either.

Old 06-18-2002, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

I have over 800 miles on my P650 and my belt sqeeks every now and then, big deal..!! I'm going to ride that **** till it stops moving the bike LOL.

Hondu Rincon: Looks awesome, is expensive, I hear the diff lock isn't a true diff lock.

ride em both and then decide... i bet you go with the p650

Old 06-18-2002, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

It does not even have anything that could be called a locker. Honda calls it a "torque-sensing front differential". Basically it is the same limited slip found on the Rancher and Rubicon.

Quick Reply: Kawasaki Prairie 650 V-Twin or Honda Rincon 650