Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

High altitude jetting help 650 P

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 02:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool! Small jewlers screw drivers or just regular size?

Old 06-27-2002, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Regular #2 I think most important they have to have good tips they are tight.

Old 06-27-2002, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

This thread is interesting to me, as I have posted before about altitude as I plan on taking my P650 Elk hunting at high elevation this October (if the whole dang state of Colorado doesn't burn) and I am trying to find out what I have to do for 10-12,000 feet. My earlier info is leading me to just try the DiamondG snorkle and a high flow air cleaner element as the bikes are jetted lean to begin with and this should help to lean it out at elevation even further. I was leaning toward doing this as I am satisfied with the power at Minnesota elevations, and I didn't really want to go into the carbs, as I am not really a great carb guy. From what I read here, it doesn't sound like too much work to change the jets. Is it? How much time does it take to change the jets? Can somebody who is somewhat mechanically inclined do it without screwing things up? Thanks for the info.

Todd M.
Minnesota

Old 06-27-2002, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

It is fairly easy and takes about 1-2 hours to do the needle valve and jets after doing the needle valves( You have to take apart the air cleaner part and sides from itto do) you can change the jets in like 15 minutes. The time consuming part is removing the plastic.

Old 06-27-2002, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

bonzi:

I live in the Reno area and still run the stock jetting in mine. I bought my scooter from a dealer in Fresno, CA. and they are jetted quite lean to begin with in Calif.(Cal emmision requirements). I ride up over 8000 ft. quite a bit and have not had any problems with the scoot loading up or running lousy. Plugs are burning OK, just a little on the dark side.

If I were you, I would wait until you get out here and see how it runs. Might save you a rejetting hassle. However, if you enjoy wrenching, go for it.

Also, one other thing. There are fire restrictions in effect out here at this time. You need to carry an ax, shovel, and a gallon of water if you go off road. And, if you cross over into Calif., you'll need a non-resident sticker($20).

Old 06-27-2002, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

You guys gotta carry a shovel?

O guess thats no big deal. I have been carrying a shovel, not for a fire, but just in case I hafta burry something.

Old 06-27-2002, 10:14 PM
Range Rover

Rather than buy the dynojet kit you could just get the main jets that Kawi recommends running for different altitudes. They can be changed by only removing the carb bowls which doesn't require plastic or intake system removal. I'm fixing to do mine with the kawi main jets and I'll post how long it takes and how hard it is to do.

Old 06-28-2002, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

Bonzi

Yes I am running stock clutching, I have purchased the dyno flow kit and found out that stock setting was more than adequite. I have modded my muffler to Nyrocs specs except I used a larger drill bit and more holes. I found that the new jets from dyno actually hindered my performance. Understand this I am at 2200ft and ride continually at 3000-8000ft. From what I was told the bike is somewhat lean from factory and jetting down isn't the way to go. I am at stock setting with my factory jets and needles and my performance is considerable. A whole 10.35% increase in power and overall speed. I wish I had more time I would get into the nitty gritty of this subject. This weekend is a long weekend for us in Canada and I have just put the green machine back together. From all the mods I have done I expect to kick some Polaris Butt. I did a post almost a month ago matching the 650 with a 700 as with my 28in Outlaws and my buddys bike being stock I thought it would be equal. Sure enough there wasn't much advantage at all just inches is all I acheived in victory. Nothing to write home about. Except now of course. When I get back I will post all my mods I have done and let you all now how things turned out

As for the clutch I have been lucky I guess all measurements are within specs. Although I can see with this increased horsepower I might have to do something down the road. DiamondG is in what I think the forefront for mods to the Kawi especially the clutch, snorkel (for which I have ordered), a CDI BOX and later down the road and a cam. The biggest ones right now are the air box and the muffler and the jets. To get more power you must increase air flow, fuel mixture and exhaust thats pretty much it. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) trust me any thing you do to these parts will drastically inhance your performance. 10 percent of a 43horspower engine is 4.3 ponies doesn't sound like much but add that to the torque side and it is substantial.

Keep the sunny side up.

Old 07-16-2002, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Ok. Still getting black plugs after a ride for a few min or even all day. I have went with "NGK" hotter plug, nothing! Went with a 42-1 mix with golden spec., nothing! Cleaned air filter, nothing! Adjusted air screw out 2 full turn from lightly seated, nothing! I took the neddle out in the carb from the top, and moved the clip on it up one, the book said it would lean it out, nothing! I am about 3,000 feet above sea level, I noticed the stock main jet is a #148, I was told by the locals to go with a #145, due to the sea level, TRUE??? Will performance go down or up or??

HELP!

Ron

Old 07-17-2002, 10:35 AM
Range Rover

I just got back from 2 week colorado trip did not rejet and had a great time to 10000 feet and good sight seeing time to 13600. Adjusted idle on eiger ran fine 650 would not idle above 11000. I wish the idle on 650 was as easy as eiger.