Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota's mx race!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002 | 04:32 AM
|
Pro Rider

Thier where 2 raptors, one heavilly modified chassis, piped and jetted the other just front end widen out. Also 3 blasters all piped and jetted one had works suspention. Also one bad looking 250R, oh and me on the lakota. No 400EX's you believe it, don't think I've ever raced without one there.

I didn't get a clean holeshot out on the first moto but still hit the first corner in third behind the two raptors. I hung rite with the raptors untill the beginning of the fourth lap and then I backed off a bit to concerve some energy for the second moto. I figured I couldn't get by them and the rest were way behind me so I just cut her back for the last two laps.

Second moto I came out the hole real strong, maybe a bit to strong, but I got to the first corner in second this time behind a raptor. I got as far as the third turn and the other raptor cut under me for the pass, well this just pissed me off. I ran the first lap just tailing the raptor hard trying to read him. It is next to impossible to pass one due to thier explossive power off the turns. On the second lap I was realy feeling like I was following him so I started pushing him in the woops and the jumps. I came down a tough studder bumb section where he was slower than me at the end I bumped him a bit[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Sending him wide in the corner and YES I finally got him. With all his power and speed I just had to much momentum coming out the studders for him to catch me. three months I've been trying to pass one of these guys and it finally came, this was victory for me. Well it was short lived, the next lap I over ran a turn went high and you know who was waiting to go low on me, well I was up there for a while any way.

Well after racing the raptor a few laps I was just wore out. I slacked off the last lap and finished third in both moto's giving me a third over all.

I was kinda bumbed out being so tired I couldn't figure it out. My wife told me that maybe next time I shouldn't do three hours of lawn work in 95 degree weather at 100% humidity before I go racing, I think she's rite.

One good point to make to this entire forum is what about this 250R. Surely everything I read in here is you buy one of these you win races. Some thing must be wrong here because I'm telling you from the nacs graphics down to the carbon fiber wheels this thing was some pretty. Just goes to show you all the horse power and suspention in the world, you still have to ride the darn thing, Nope don't know what place he took. Other than messing with the raptors closest quads to me were about 15 lengths behind so couldn't tell ya!

Old 07-01-2002 | 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Good job, Gaff!!! Sounds like your given 'em he!!, again! Outstanding! I bet those boys don't under estimate the 'ol Lakota anymore, huh?! So is she up for sale now? btw - I'd like to have your skids. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Sounds like you guys are have a great time down there. Wish I were closer.

Can't wait to hear how ya do with the new Kawi. Man, I sure would like to have that Z400 in white. I like it! I like it alot!

Old 07-01-2002 | 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

stebob do you have the dynojet needle too if not how many shims are you running

Old 07-01-2002 | 12:03 PM
|
Pro Rider

I have the Lakota half hartitly up for sale. I have it on my local dealers web site under used bikes/quads. I thought about the skids coming off already and I figured you would be the one that want'ed them.

We'll see about the new kaei probably next month. I have my name on the first one over here, but the dealer says probably august.

I have my sons bike I'm probably selling as well, got him a 01 CR80 last week.

Those guys on the 2 raptors are that tracks local riders. I go up there every once in a while, they know I'll be hunting them. As far as the rest of the field they realy don't know what to think. I try not to do more than warm up before the race so they never realy get to see me run it. After the first moto thow I can feel the X on my back.

Riding the new kawi, well they are all in trouble. If I could just shed some wieght off this one they would be in trouble. The wieght realy wares me down, nothing as quick as the other night but still does.

Old 07-01-2002 | 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you had a great race. If you have any spare parts for the Lakota laying around, you know where to send them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I'll probably keep mine until you get all of the bugs worked out of the new KXF/LTZ/CAT/???

Old 07-01-2002 | 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

mojaveman1,
Yes, I have the Dyno-Jet needle installed. I actually have 1 shim under the needle, so I'm around 2 1/2 positions, instead of 3. However, you'll have to experiment with this with your particular machine. I see your in MN. I would assume you are at a higher elevation than I. I'm around 950' here in IN.

Gaff,
hmmm...the skids sound pretty good. Let me know what you think of that.

Got the boy a new bike, huh? CR80 is a nice bike. Is it still stock? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I can't to hear when you finally pick up that new Kawi. I've heard nothing but good things about that z400. It may not beat a Rappy in a straight line, but I hear it's all over it's a$$. With the better handling than the Rappy, I'll bet you love it and not have much of a prob. with them boys on the MX track. Sounds like you give 'em a run as it is.

Old 07-01-2002 | 08:01 PM
|
Pro Rider

I hope to get $3200 for the lakota. Not sure how much of the inventory will have to go to get that price, but I know you guys will be wanting what ever I have left.

I have a set of clutch friction plates and a heavier set of springs if any ones needing any now. I don't need them just holding on to them untill the fall. Seemed like last year every one was looking for a clutch, so if you need one let me know.

I went on the lim and bought the boys bike used. It's a 01 model but I had the motor built with a pro-x top end, head milled, boysen power reeds and a barnett clutch. I jetted it and put a uni filter on it and cut off the air box top. I put a FMF silencer on it with the stock pipe. I believe the hits to strong and at the top end, so I got a FMF gold series pipe to see if that brings the bottom back alive. It's fast as heck, I flipped it in 4th gear on the road, ouch!

The feller gave me a new ceet gripper seat cover and pro taper renthal bars with it. The bars have the mount kit with it to, just forget what you call it.

He still raced his XR the other night but practiced a few hours on the Cr and he realy likes it alot.

Old 07-01-2002 | 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

Way to go Gaff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!