Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Found out what brings a 650 to its knees

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to the Hatfield McCoy trails in West Virginia this weekend. (Best trails I have ever ridden). Anyway, my GPS told us that we were about 8 miles from the truck and were heading back for the day. Had just put it in 4wd to go up a slight hill with loose rock. I was cruising along and suddenly everything went dead. My assumption that it was electrical was correct. The 30 amp fuse that runs everything blew. I did not have a spare, becasue I assumed it would have been on a breaker.

I took the fuse out of the electronic brake control and it got me back. Did not have 4wd, but at least it ran and got me home.

I also noticed that with the EBC fuse out, the belt does not bark when you take off.

Moral of the story, I now carry extra fuses. We stopped and talked to a dealer who said that it had a spare in it. I still haven't found it.

I just thought it was amazing that this big toy could be brought down by a $.50 fuse.

I still do not know what the short was except that it was 97 degrees F. Maybe something got too hot, including me!
James

Old 07-07-2002, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

<< I also noticed that with the EBC fuse out, the belt does not bark when you take off. >>

Hmmm, that is interesting. So could the belt problem many have be related to the KEBC?

Also, thanks for the heads up on the fuse. I hope this fuse prob will not be a re-occuring problem for you.

Old 07-07-2002, 11:58 PM
Range Rover

There is a spare fuse.If you look closely at the fuse block you'll notice that one of the fuses on the block has no wires going to it and is a spare.Yours is the first issue I've heard about a fuse problem though.Please post if you find out what caused it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2002, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

Yep there is a spare........or should be. I put 2 more spares in my tools kit. A light one 10-A, and the 35-A main replacement. I had my accesory plug fuse blow the first time that I tried to use it. I have since put a 10-A fuse in it's place.
H/M is AWESOME, isn't it?!!?

Old 07-08-2002, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer

To Partsman2 - If this is who I think it is you will respond as usual, if not, no offense intended.
I have a new message for you Partsman2 - I would rather be a PREDATOR than the prey. (PREDATOR=RAPTOR, prey=prairie dog) Just kidding, I'm looking forward to your mods and what that beast will do. Those poor suckers will never realize what passed them. See Ya.

Old 07-08-2002, 04:55 PM
Range Rover

You may want to carry some extra 5/10 amp fuses. I blew the 5 amp fuse (the one that runs the front power port) running my compressor to air up a tire one time. I replaced it with a 10 amp fuse, and have not had a problem since.

Let's see, in my saddle bag we have.....First aid kit, Compass, Insurance Card, State ATV Safety Certificate, Tire puncture repair kit, dry gloves, and now fuses. Sounds like this saddle bag is going to be upgraded to saddle BAGS soon.

Chucky

Old 07-08-2002, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

I do not have any idea what made the fuse go. It happended toward the end of the first day. I was cruising along up a mild hill at about 15 mph and everything just went dead. The only remarkable thing was that the air temp was very hot and humid. Hopefully it was just a one time thing.

I keep my winch solenoid swithced off until I need it because the get very hot and I dont see the need to have it on unless I need it (Warn 2000).

I replaced the fuses Thursday night, then rode all day Friday and Saturday (about 12 engine hours). I have not had any other problems.

I may start another topic about the observation regarding the belt being tighter due to the EBC fuse being out to get some ideas

Old 07-08-2002, 06:12 PM
Range Rover

Yes WVBartMan it is who you think it is.I'm just trying to get set up so I can keep your tail lights in view when we ride.