Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P-650 riders at the Hatfiled/McCoyTrails in October

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the colonial is in Man, as I understand it to be, then I guess you can ride as TRX has mentioned.

TRX, we rode Windrock over the Memorial Day weekend. I liked it pretty well, but after experiencing the HM it makes Windrock seem like a 3rd world country. If you are in Columbus, I would probably stick to HM or maybe go to Penn.

Windrock is good, but when compared with HM, the trails are not nearly as well kept. They are not as well marked. The people were mostly very nice and helpful when I got the big boy stuck. (except for kids that flew by on some sport quads).

The biggest concern that I have (and I am not alone) if you look at their website forum under suggestions to the club at http://www.windrockatv.com/ you will see that they have a huge problem with people not following any rules of etiquette.

Don't get me wrong, there were some very nice people there. There does not appear to be any enforcement at all. For example, you will be a minority if you wear a helment, shirt, and ride single. But the most disturbing are the amount of beer cases you see strapped to the quads. I even talked with some nice people that were proud of how they got so "fu%$#@ing drunk" the last time they went riding.

The other thing that will likely hurt them in the futrue is that the parking lot to the trailhead is shared by a church. We were there on a sunday morning and there are signs asking to please keep engines quiet while in the church parking lot. Lets just say that I was embarrased to be associated with the same demographics that morning. A little respect is all that it takes.

Sorry again for the rambling, gotta get off of this Mountain Dew.

Old 07-11-2002, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I don't know about y'all, but this looks like it will stack up to a whole HEAP of fun!!!

Old 07-11-2002, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

jpier01-- I have heard good things about Windrock, so I've just got to try it. I may not like it; but gotta try it.
As for the drinking, I like beer, too BUT, The beer isn't opened until the quad has been put to "bed" for the day!!!!!!!!!!
Only fools ride without a good helmet.......just my opinion.
You should check out Wayne Nat'l. Forest in S.E. Ohio(Athens District) I am there most every w.e. 90 miles of diverse trails. Lots of mud and hillclimbs. Some fast ridge-back trails, too. Some tight and technical.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Trx, don't let me discourage you from going. Also, if you like to stay in a hotel. Your best bet is the Garden Plaza or the Hampton Inn in Oak Rigde. Only about 5 miles from the trailhead. We tried a night in the comfort inn and it was not clean. The super 8 is a bit run down as well. There are some really good places to eat as well.
We will likely go back there around Christmas becasue I am usually couped up in a Cabin with the in laws in the Smokey Mtns for a week.

If you go that far, you may want to try Royal blue WMA in TN and Livingston KY on your way to or from as they are both right off of I75. It would be a good way to break up the trip.

I don't recall the trail numbers off hand, but the newer, less rutted trails are on the west side of the property. Just watch out for the others because you are sharing with Jeeps, Rail Buggies etc.

Old 07-15-2002, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Any one else interested???? Guess I'll post this again in the first part of September.

Old 07-15-2002, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

For sure. I know that the closer that we get, the more people will be interested. Just keep everyone updated!

Old 07-17-2002, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Mike

A couple of your jerk friends on sport bikes are considering coming down also. I won't mention the other riders name, but he is pretty good at animal calls around the campfire. This should work out well. We will get the steaks ordered while you guys on utes are still poking along on the trail. How do you like yours done? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2002, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Just keeping it on our minds so we don't forget!!!

Old 08-06-2002, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

I am not forgetting. We'll chat more come early Sept. !!!!

Old 08-06-2002, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

So far it looks like I am going to be making the trip by myself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] no one else wants to go. Any buddy in my area want to car pool down I can hall 2 other 4 wheelers and confortable seating.

Quick Reply: P-650 riders at the Hatfiled/McCoyTrails in October