Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Up the lakota's compression for cheap

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently was trying to figure out what to do for preperation of a cam coming for my quad. I like the bottom end I have now I just need some braek away speed on my top end. So I know a cam will give me what I want, but I want the bottom end to be just as strong.

So I put a call in to see what it would cost to get a higher comp piston than what I have now. Basicly moving from a 10.5:1 comp to a 12:1 comp, well $200 wasn't what I wanted to hier.

So I decided to take a good look and see what I could come up with. What I found was the cylinder base gasket was pretty darn thick. So I headed out to napa and bought some .005" shim stock (copper). I never measured the base gaskets thickness but I would say rite around the .050" thick area.

I traced the old gasket on to the shim stock and cut it out with some sissors, walla, just what I wanted. My figures came out to 11.9+:1 comp, graet savings.

I just thought this would be some good info for those poeple possibly re-ringing or rebuilding thier lakotas who would like to up thier comp some to get a lil more out of the lakota's.

For you who haven't done it yet, up grade those clutches, thats where all the lost HP is.

Old 08-02-2002, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If theres any kind of a ridge at the top of the bore you will break the top ring and the piston when it hits it.Probly not a problem with your bike but if someone re-rings a well worn bike it will be disaster.

A little off base but not too far.

I drive a Diesel truck and basically The same thing happens often.

The engine may have say 200k on it so its still in good shape but will have a small ridge on top.Some fool will over-rev it going down a hill,Over-revving it will cause the rod to stretch just a little allowing the piston to go farther up in the bore than ever before,hitting the ridge,then it starts smoking,breaks all the top rings and damages the piston ring land.

Old 08-02-2002, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Very good point. I would hope that some one would correct the cylinder such as hone or bore it first, but a very good point.
Chris would you know what the compression pressure is in your mojave? And did you put the 11.5 comp piston in or the stock 11:1 piston back in?

Old 08-02-2002, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a genuine Kawasaki piston back in mine.I havn't checked the compression since I don't have an adapter to fit the hole.Sorry Im no help.

Old 08-04-2002, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

Couldn't you just JB weld a quarter or two on to the top of the piston? lol/jk

JaMeS

Old 08-05-2002, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

Hey gaff I have lakota sport also,i recently got in a accident with it and bended my rear axle and rear wheels.Im looking at getting the durablue eliminator axle and some aluminum rear wheels,is this a good move or should i buy the stock axle?Where did you buy all your aftermarket parts(13t sprocket,IDS2 exhaust,330kit,port and polished head)? So far ive only isntalled the K&N air filter/jet kit and the SUPERTRAPP I.D.S2 exhaust with header pipe and the discs,should i run it with all the discs or none?If I do buy the durablue eliminator axle what do i need to install it? the eliminator axle is going to make it wider on the rear so i was planing on getting some spacers for the front,is this a good move?Thanks for your time, quad pal.

Old 08-05-2002, 01:33 PM
Range Rover

Hey gaff what do you mean by upgrading the clutch? and will i hurt if i put that new ring on? thanxs!

Old 08-05-2002, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

Sportrider,
I buy almost all my stuff from rockymountainatv.com, very good service and cheapest prices. I bought a 330 kit from fourstroketech.com As far as all the machining wesleeve.com Assembly porting and everything else I do my self.

The pipe, if it's the quiet series, you can run 10 or none it doesn't matter, if it's the race series 8 to 10, depends on how you like it. I run no disc with a race series, but I only run it on the track, very loud.

For the front, try flipping the front wheels around. To do so you have to turn the valve stems around and glue the caps on. Drill holes on the other side of the rim and install new valve stems, most excellent handling. Tell me about the axle thow. I didn't do mine, and may not. With the fronts flipped it handles graet, but I'll decide later on the axle.

Bluekawirider, not sure what you mean about put the ring on, explain a little better please. Search for upgrading lakota clutch. I started a thread a week or two ago about it. I would do it here But I think I may miss some stuff, better to see the original post.