Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki answers popular questions regarding the alliance with Suzuki.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 12:30 AM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been alot of questions in both this forum and the Suzuki forum regarding the alliance between the two manufacturers.

I don't know how many of you read Dirt Bike magazine, but the new September issue has info taken from a press conference with kawasaki that answered the most popular questions regarding the alliance.

I thought that I would post the article for those who don't read the dirtbike mags. If this also appeared in an ATV mag, i'm sorry, but I found this article the most informative yet.

How many models will be shared?
For 2003, Kawasaki is buying and rebadgiong the Suzuki DRZ125/125L, the JR50, the DRZ400E and the DRZ400ES. Additionaly, there will be several ATVs. Suzuki, on the other hand, is going to get yellow versions of the Kawasaki KX60, KX65, KX100, and the KLX110. Don't go to a Suzuki dealer to buy a KX500 though--it ain't going to happen.

Will the bikes carry identical prices?
The companies will set their own pricing--to do anything otherwise would be regarded as price fixing and illegal. It just so happens that the bikes will carry identical price tags.

will the bikes be absolutely identical?
For now, yes, aside from color and graphics. but it doesn't have to be that way. In the future, the bikes might come with different jetting and suspension specs. But remember, reduced cost is the only reason for doing this in the first place; making changes only drives cost up.

What about financing and service?
Each company is on its own to supply things like financing, warranties, and dealer support. this will be the only reason [aside from color preference] to go with a Suzuki dealer or a Kawasaki dealer. Kawasaki reports that about 30% of its dealers are multi-line dealers and already carry Suzuki. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens at hose particular dealerships.

What about future models?
The Kawasaki execs wouldn't say what models will be joinly produced by the two companies in the future. That, of course, is a very different thing from what we have seen so far. Re-badging a bike is easy, but actually cooperating in the early stages of development will probally prove awkward and bureaucratic. Kawasaki said flat out there would be no joint ventures in the sport bike line. A logical area for the two companies to gang up on Honda and Yamaha is the four stroke MX market. Neither company offers anything there. Will one company make the engine and the other make the frame? We don't know, but it will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

Will this go on forever?
Kawasaki and Suzuki can pull the plug on this anytime. The two companies are independent and serve completely different stock holders. If say, Suzuki sees that its dealers are suffering dramatically in areas that are served by Kawasaki dealerships, the situation might get ugly. But given the tendecy for big business to get bigger, we expect this arrangment to last a long time and perhaps even be a model for other alliances.

Who wins?
On the motorcycle scorecard, the Suzuki guys comeout ahead. they get the KLX110 which is one of the best selling Kawasakis of our time. But Kawasaki gets even in the ATV market where Suzuki's new DRZ400 powered quad will turn green. It's a much larger ticket item and should be a huge seller. Kawasaki's Prairie 650 will sell well as a Suzuki as well.

End of article.....

One interesting thing we should be keeping an eye on are the dealer conventions next month.

Both Suzuki and Kawasaki are having their conventions just one week apart in the middle of September. This is where other 2003 info and possible 2004 info will be released to it's dealers and the public.

Old 08-07-2002, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

So I guess we can expect a yellow Prairie 650 sometime soon.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

Sad but maybe not True, no yellow plastic will fool me, A kawasaki Is a kawasaki, the best $x4 out there will always be green or red in my hart.