Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 owners long term report

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, let's hear how the P650 stands up to thrashing! Very close to buying one. It comes down to the big 3 (now 4) and as I see it:

SP700 good supply, and good price dealers willing to deal
P650 good supply "" " "'
Grizz600 Poor supply, and dealers want MSRP
Rincon Poor supply and dealers want MSRP plus frt and setup

I love my SP and plan to keep it. I may trade it later for a 700.

The one thing that I noticed is that NOTHING seems to equal the ride of the SP, and that is a REAL issue with me...

Old 08-13-2002, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like you've come to a Kawasaki forum to brag about Polaris.

Does the 650 ride like a Polaris?

Does the 650 run like a Polaris?

Does the 650 wear like a Polaris?

Does the 650 weigh 750# like a Polaris?

The answer to all above is no,no,no and God no.

If you want another Polaris, buy one. If you want to step into the light, try a Kaw if you think you can handle it.

By the way, I see you also drive a Duramax so maybe you should stick with Polaris, you may not be used to that much quality.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2002, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Well i got over 1100 miles on my P650 and no problems yet. The belt squeeks a little at takeoff, but it still has mad power so i'll get a belt next year. I ride in alot of mud/water and i have never sucked in water through my clutch or air intake and I'm talking handlebar depth floating the front end and never a prob. I ride hard and agressive and have seen no problems yet. I rode a 700 and i didn't care for it much. It was slow, poor acceleration, sloppy steering, heavy and top heavy and the massive tires that look tuff...suck. I'm not talking trash about the 700, but its just not for me. Yeah it has IRS, but i still prefer a more sporty solid axle bike. Go to my site

lackdog.com

and go to the atv section and look at some of the ride pics I have on there....theres maybe 1000 pics. You can see some of the riding I do and the abuse I do to my 650. It's a great bike and it built well. The decision is yours though.

Old 08-13-2002, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

i ride the crap out of my 650, i ride some trails, but alot of the time
we make the trails. plastic is a little beat up. but i used some of that stuff lackdog talked about (turtlewax 2001) and the plastic looks damn near new ,but close enough for what its been through. i`ll take a pic soon and post it..

Old 08-13-2002, 05:16 AM
Range Rover

Got over 1,400 miles on my P650 and the only lasting problem I have is a squeaky belt taking off. Has nothing to do with the performance though. If I were to get another quad it would be another P650.

Old 08-13-2002, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider

My only beef, after 800 miles is: The crappy black plastic that tears and cracks. My bike has been nearly flawless. I love it. I would DEFINATELY buy another one, if my current one disappeared! This bike was made for my area of operation(Appalachian Mtns.). IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2002, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

What is that stuff your using on the plasitc? I would realy like to use somthing like that to keep mine looking nice. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2002, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

metecate-- I don't know if your are adressing me, but I use STP Son Of A Gun, or Armorall. My plastice looks good, 'till something hits it, pokes, it, etc., it just cracks way too easily. My Honda Foreman plastic held up very well....Kaw. could take some lessons from them!

Old 08-13-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Guys!

I hate to coin the phrase "wife's bike" but that is kinda what this will be. We rode the 450 Kodiak vs the SP700, and she really liked the Kodiak. Personally, I didn't. Basically women look at different things when comparing these things. She liked it being low, and the positive, predictible engagement of the auto clutch.

The one dealer that I was at HAD the Kawasaki line and CLAIMED that they dropped it, but I feel it was the other way around. The salesman was saying about all of the problems etc. I've been watching these forums for some time, and it seems that the bugs and flaws that the Prairie suffers from are more of the little inconsistent bugs like the Polaris Sportsman has had in the past.

I'm really intrigued by the Rincon and Grizzly, but the supply/demand thing has them ridiculously priced.

Dangerous,

When you cross 375 RWHP on a STOCK engine with STOCK injectors, and STOCK turbo, and NO DRUGS, then you can talk down to the Dmax. I have hit 376RWHP with relative ease and slipping tires, and am quite sure 400 is easily attainable.... www.kennedydiesel.com

Old 08-13-2002, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

hey dangerous: tell him what you really think! and don`t sugarcoat it!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 650 owners long term report