Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Nyroc: Driven Spring Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 02:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Nyroc-Got my driven spring in today.

Question 1: When I replace this spring, I don't need to make any sheave adjustmets do I?

Question 2: Do you have and email addy? I have some other questions for ya...and would rather not take up space on this bbs.

Here is my email: Chucky

Thanks!!

Chucky

Old 08-17-2002, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

1. No, you do not have to change shims, the spring does not affect the deflection since the pulley is closed all the way.. You should make sure the deflection is right anyway.

2. Might as well ask, some people might want to know what is said here, others might need to straighten me out.

Old 08-17-2002, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, yeah, I was about to say there is no such thing as a dumb question.

However, I have recently read posts from two young forum subscribers that have proved to me that there really are dumb questions.

Maybe I should say, if you are over 21, I seriously doubt any question you have is dumb.

Old 08-17-2002, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Just remember to remove the nut with an impact wrench. Nyroc's site shows my proof of what a breaker bar can do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2002, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

nyroc...do you know of any problems I might have if I ride at 60 or so with the black epi spring? Will it hurt anything, compared to riding 60 with stock spring?

Old 08-17-2002, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Absolutely not. The drive pulley is compressed all the way at that speed. Same gear ratio over 50mph (50 or so). You will notice it being geared lower from 10 to 50, or so (its hard to tell the exact speed). Below that and above that depends on the length and width of the belt.

Old 08-18-2002, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Nyroc, you are correct. There ARE such things as stupid questions, as witnessed on this forum recently. Enough said. If any of you 650 riders (or any quad rider for that matter) are not familiar with how your quad works, buy a service manual and READ IT. Don't just buy a quad, jump on the damn thing and give er hell. Find out how it works and save yourself some grief (and embarrassment).

Nyroc, how are you finding that black spring is working for you? I have had excellent results with mine running the 26" 589s. I do a lot of log hopping and technical trail riding and have found that my belt deflection has remained fairly constant since I put it on, confirming what EPI has stated about it reducing belt wear.

Old 08-18-2002, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

I like the quicker takeoff. It is a little less quick accelerating at higher speeds. I have not tried it yet but since I have 28" mudzillas for the messy season, the black spring should be the best thing for me.

I cannot really say anything about belt life for myself. My belt is 300 miles old, and is kinda tight. So tight that it squeaks at idle. It grabs really nice, and makes no noise at takeoff. It is gradually loosening up enough to no squeak at idle.

I really feel the belt lasts a whole lot longer if it is tight.

Old 08-18-2002, 10:38 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MastrBlastr: I would like to know more about your soft/hot gips? None of the atv catalogs that I have show these, my dealer does not carry theme. Who makes them and do you like them? Thanks .....MJSTX

Old 08-18-2002, 11:24 AM
Range Rover

Question about the steel buttons and the shim. After following nyroc's suggestions about removing the driven clutch, I couldn't get the clutch apart to replace the shim to adjust the deflection. Reckon I was going about this backwards, but I thought this was the procedure to do the shim. After looking it over perhaps the correct method is to remove the driven clutch face?? Looks like this could be done as the shaft is threaded, and the face looks like a special tool could fit into the three holes, and it looked like the shim was against the face. The four ramping buttons prevented the clutch from coming apart.

I know I'm running the risk of "stupid questions" but what the heck!!

Quick Reply: Nyroc: Driven Spring Question(s)