Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 Dunlops

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I think I finally got it. Similar to NYROC. The surtrac rears with titan 489 fronts. What does everyone think of that?

Old 08-20-2002, 07:14 AM
Trailblazer

When I went through this process of upgrading the wheels and Tires, I ended up choosing ITP 589's on ITP C series aluminum rims. It made a world of (positive) difference in the looks and performance of the machine.

Now I have a set of stock wheels and nearly new tires taking up space in the shop. I have not figured out what to do with them yet. Suggestions?

Bob

Old 08-20-2002, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider

gtchief--- The 489/Sur-Trac combo is something I was thinking of trying, myself. See my signature for what I currently run in 26". I probably run much the same terrain as you, and this current combo is AWESOME! NYROC runs the same REAR/ I run Spiders up front. I just noticed that nyroc wasn't too impressed with the Maxxis Sur-Trax in mud. I operate in a lot of mud, and would disagree. They do not perform like Titan 589 M/T's, but are respectable. They work VERY well in my area of operation. I ride the Appalachian Mtns.

Old 08-20-2002, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

Bonza, your stock tires should get $50 per pair on ebay (mine did), and the rims should get you some money too. Some people around here would love to have a 2nd set. If you no want them, sell them and get more cool 650 stuff.

Old 08-20-2002, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer

I just bought the Titan 489xt's. They are 6ply and I think the fronts only weigh 1-2 pounds more than stockers, the rears weigh 4 pounds more I believe.

I also have 1 front dunlop and 2 rears for sale cheap if you are interested. They only have 100 miles on them.

See this post for more information

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...ighlight_key=y

--Ray

Old 08-20-2002, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Bonza, give me a price on just the wheels. I'd like to have an extra set incase something goes wrong when I'm on a far trip.

I'm gonna go with the sur tracs and 489s. I'll order this afternoon. thanks for all your help everyone.

Old 08-20-2002, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Another good source is East Kentucky Motorsports: www.4atvtires.com
Good choice of tires, IMO !!!!!!

Old 08-20-2002, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Tires are ordered from chaparal. I got the Surtracs and 489s for about 260 shipped. Hopefully they will be here end of next week. Thank you everyone for all your opinions.

Old 08-20-2002, 07:24 PM
Range Rover

I feel sorta stupid reading all these posts trashing the Dunlops. So far I havn't read one good thing about them. I only have about 400 miles on my Prairie and I don't have anything bad to say about them. Guess I better not test ride something else and I won't know what I'm missing out on. I'm new to the 4wd seen and I'm used to 2 stroke 2wd's, so far I think this think is awesome in mud, hardpack, basically wherever I have ridden it. So what I guess I'm trying to ask is what would I gain by upgrading tires. I ride basically on hardpacked dirt trails with a little mud whenever I can find it. I just don't want to sacrifice a smooth ride for the few minutes that I can find mud. Thanks for the info. Dennis

Old 08-20-2002, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Dennis, glad you are enjoying the 650.

What happened us? Why do we not like the Dunlops? I started riding around someone who had noticeably better mud tires, and he appeared to be having a riot. So I got 28" mudzillas. I had a riot in the mud, but lost power, handling, and ride.

I started riding with other people who had tires that rode well, handled better than the stockers on dry dirt and also did better in the mud. I then sold my stockers and got the combo listed in my sig.

Basically, the more riding expertise you get, the more you realize that the stock tires don't stack up.

What I'm trying to say is that your oppinion about whether the stockers are just right for you can very easily change when certain facts or events convince you that the dunlops are the worst.

I am thoroughly glad that I sold my dunlops to honda riders, they love them. I have tires now that I feel take every kind of riding better than stockers. The only drawback is my front tires, although soft enough, are not as soft as the stockers.

I feel my 650 is a whole lot more fun now with better tires.

Quick Reply: Prairie 650 Dunlops