Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 Dunlops

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 10:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Nyroc-when your over in the Midwest, Indiana to be exact,why dont you stop by and let me take yours for a ride. I really would like to try out one with different tires on it. Ive ridden now for about 13yrs on 2wd, and I can tell a big difference between them. Even though they look similar, like holeshots and shredders, when you ride you can tell a big, big difference. Does your setup work good on hard pack too? I'll probably pick up a set at tax time next year. Thanks for the info. Dennis

Old 08-20-2002, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Surtraks are awesome on hardpack. The mudrunners work well for steering on dry (frnt), but I feel mudrunners lack traction to be used on hardpack for the rear. Surtraks are better in mud than stock, but not as good in the mud as mudrunners. I also have mudzillas, which are a heck of a lot better in the mud. I have really seen some sticky nasty stuff here, and the stockers did not cut the mustard. Plus, the stock tires handled bad on corners, the soft sidewall allowed the tire to fold over and caused too much sliding.

If you are gonna spend more time on hardpack, get the spidertrak/surtrak combo. These tires are really light, so they don't detract from power. There are lots of great hardpack riding tires in 25", but not very many good choices in 26" (in lighter weights). Thats why I have this combo.

Old 08-21-2002, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with nyroc, as evidenced in my signature. The Spiders are very versatile. I have had to endure a LOT of hardpack, we need rain in the S.E. Ohio area. It has been a chore to find quality mud to play!
As for the Dunlops: Dennis C., wish we could trade bikes for 5 minutes, I'll make a believer out 'o you! LOL Those tires never should have been put on a big bike like the P-650. Have you ridden yours hard enough the experience that rolling dive in a hard/high speed turn? Real tires all but TOTALLY eliminate that nasty little habit! I believe the Progressive spring and adj. preload kit WOULD eliminate it! Anyway, I am happy that you like your P-650, no finer bike out there!!!!!!! ENJOY!

Old 08-21-2002, 09:26 AM
Trailblazer

Dennis C, we ought to get together and ride. There is a close place to ride just east of Terre Haute called Mill Creek State park. That is not too far from me.

Nyrock, thnks for the info. I think I'll list them as tires for sale. Then keep the rims and mount a spare set of decent tires.

My ITP rims and wheels came from East Ky Motosports. The transaction went smooth and parts showed up within a couple of days.

The P650 makes a great tractor! I was clearing brush last weekend and hauling the stuff out to the burn pile. I could hook on to a complete small tree that I had sawed off at the base and drag it at about 20 MPH down the road. It was quite a sight, a 6 ft long 4 wheeler dragging a 30 ft tree!

Bob

Old 08-21-2002, 12:14 PM
Range Rover

Yes I noticed the terrible push going into a corner, I just figured I wasn't used to a 600lb quad. But now you say that its makes sense. I'll definetely purchase another set later on.
We'll haft to hook up some time Bob. I've ridden there once before, I've rode over at Casey too. My favorite place to ride around here is near Clinton. It's right along the Wabash river. It's good hardpack trails with a little mud here and there. It's free, we haven't been ran out yet. And when your done riding for the day you can do a little river splashing and clean your quad off.
Dennis

Old 08-21-2002, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Just some info. I know that the decision has already been made. But had to share. The kenda bearclaws weight for the 26" are:

Front
26x9x12 = 19lb 12 oz

Rear
26x12x12 = 27lb 15 oz

Hope this helps someone out.

Oh, and this is unmounted.

Old 08-25-2002, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

raynist,

So how do you like the 489XT's?

Are they nearly as aggressive as the DD or Sur-Trak's?

I fell myself a pretty good judge of tires, but not being able to see them in person...

Does anyone know where a guy can see specs on the DD or St's? The HL database has no tread depth info...

Old 08-25-2002, 04:58 PM
Range Rover

nyroc I need to send you something. The e-mail on your site did not work.

Old 08-25-2002, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Just got back from first real ride with my new Kenda Bear Claws and all I can say is wow! They are great on hardpack and not too bad in the thick stuff (as long as you don't try to follow a truck wearing 44" super swampers like I did.) Off camber is very good due to the wider size. {9" up front and 12" rear) No problem on rocks or fallen trees, just glided right over them. They do tend to bite some in some hard corners, but by keeping a good grip on the handlebars, no problems. They run pretty big, even for 26" and the rears have great side lugs.

All in all, I feel that they are very good tires, but when you throw in the price of them, they are great!! ($230 for all 4 including shipping from chaparrels)

I have already sold one set today when a friend of mine who rides a big bear saw how well they did.

That's all I got to say about that!

Old 08-25-2002, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Love the rawhide grips....

My stock dunlops have made some lovely flower pots....

Quick Reply: Prairie 650 Dunlops