Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 Dunlops

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dunlops finally went flop. Hit a rock somewhere and put an inch long rip in the sidewall of the front. So I figure now I'll get some good tires on there. I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive tire, so around 60 piece, that is pretty smooth riding and decent in mud. I usually do more trail then mud. I'm thinking about getting Dirt Devils but noticed they are 6-ply, how much is that weight gonna kill my power? I'm not too concerned about top end speed. How would sur traks be on all 4 corners compared to the DDs? Any other reccomendations would be great. Thanks alot for any input.

Old 08-17-2002, 05:05 PM
Range Rover

I just got mine: ITP 589MS. 26" tires all the way around. I got mine from rockymountainatv.com. I paid $260 for the set of four. This is one item you don't need to think "Cheap". Tires are what makes your machine perform. Otherwise, it is like putting bicycle tires on a dragster....

You can go, from what I have gathered, up to 28" tires without a lift kit. When you go to a more radical tread pattern, you lose height. So, a 26" 589 is about the same height as a 25" stock Dunlop. If you go with 25" tires, you will lose just about 1/2" in clearance. So, go larger.

Lastly, alot of these agressive tires are heavy. 6 ply tires with big lugs weigh alot. Consider that when buying.

http://atv.dnsalias.com/atv/ <--That is Nyroc's site. Look under his tech tips, there is a link there for a tire review.

Enjoy!!

Old 08-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

I dont want some aggressive as the 589. I also dont want to go larger than 26". I'm not going cheap really, i figure 60 a piece is about average actually.

Old 08-17-2002, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

You might want to seriously consider the Kenda Bearclaws. you can gain som clearance from the stock size since they run about 1/4 to 1/2 inch larger than stock, but believe it or not, the 26" are actually cheaper. I ordered mine through Chaparral's for $194 + Shipping which is $9 per tire. their website is www.800-841-2960.com Check them out. I think that you will be pleased!

Old 08-17-2002, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

Sorry If I insulted you. I didn't mean you were cheap. And, you are right, 60 apiece is what I paid for mine. I was just suggesting that when it comes to saving a buck, tires is not the best place to save it.

Again, my apologies!

Ride hard, but never put it up wet!

Chucky

Old 08-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

not insulted at all. I do want something that performs good. but dont worry about it, no apology was necessary.

Conman,
I considered bear claws. have the robbed much power from your machine? How is their trail performance and ride? I sometimes find some pretty rocky stuff so I need something to grip on that. I also do enjoy hitting the mud every now and then. but mostly trail is what I ride. thanks for the input.

Old 08-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't got to do any serious riding with them, but I will let you know. you might want to do a search for them on the various boards. That is what I did when I was lookin' for some new shoes. I asked a ton of people about the dirt devils and bear claws and found that most people like the claws for a variety of trail riding. Most I talked to about the DD didn't think that the tread breakup was good for alot of different trails.

Hope you can get through the plethora of choices out there and get the ones suited for you.

Old 08-17-2002, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

gtcheif, you may want to think about titan 489xt, they are pretty light, not too aggressive and I think they have an optional 6 ply. If you stay out of the mud, the maxxis bighorn is a very durable, long lasting tire. I have sur traks, which are excellent on dry dirt, rock, and streams, not very good in mud. I also have mudrunners which ride pretty well and are great in the mud, not too heavy, not that light either. The goodyear rawhide grip is pretty good tire, a little better in the mud than on dirt and rocks.

I like bighorns for my summer riding, I wish they came in a 26".

Old 08-17-2002, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

gtcheif...My first aftermarket tire for my 650 was 27inch Dirtdevils, I loved the traction they gave me on trails/mud combo I ride. These are one of the lightest 6ply, 27inch tires out there but they really robbed power compared to the light dunlops. I have recently changed to ITP SpiderTrac's (25x12.5x12 rear and 25x9.5x12 front). They are smoother riding, offer better traction on gravel roads and grass. These tires gave me a lot of the pep back that I lost with large tires.

Old 08-18-2002, 04:07 AM
Pro Rider

i agree with chuckybrown. i have the ITP`s all the way around and they are greaton hardpack and mud. they are also lighter than alot of the other tires. it does add weight but not much, considering the traction.

good luck in your tire hunt.

Quick Reply: Prairie 650 Dunlops