Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Smoking Lakota

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 10:28 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my wife went on an organized trail ride yesterday which was set-up through our dealer. Anyway, we get to one of the rest stops and the guy riding behind my wife tells me that her Lakota is smoking occasionally when she lets off the throttle. Her machine is still in break-in mode and only has around 6 or 8 hours on it. Does this sound like a ring problem or a simple valve adjustment??

Thanks!!

Old 08-26-2002, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

What color is the smoke? Black, could be rich condition. Bluish-white, would be oil, poss. rings. I would go ahead and finish break in and adjust valves and see what happens.

Old 08-26-2002, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

Are you still under mfg. warranty . If so take it back and at least let them look at it . My '01 smoked some during the first Hard Ride I went on .Not the short rides mind you but the first longer ride . I finally penned it down that it was paint on the exhaust heating up and smoking . After that first long ride it has never done it since. Lakotas are Tough dudes . Several of my freinds have old rough looking ones but they change the oil like they should and never any troubles . If in doubt take it back , ya never know it could have a problem . Like they said blue is oil , black is to much fuel could just need jetted to your altitude . Thats somewhat common . It could also be sucking oil from your foam filter which when I serviced mine the first time I got to much oil in it smoked like a steam locomotive for about 2 hours until I squeezed some excess oil out of it . let us know what you find out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2002, 02:06 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply guys. Yes, the Lakota is still under warranty. I will be bringing it to the dealer for its initial check-up once I get a few more hours on it. The dealer is aware of the problem, as I talked to a couple of the salesmen who were along for the ride. I hope it's nothing serious, because my wife is very happy with the machine.