Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P-650 Belt Adjust, ala "nyroc"

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the belt adjustment(deflection) last night, per nyroc's tech tips. RESULT: Perfect! Well done nyroc!
My advice. While you have the driven pulley apart, clean and lube the sheaves and 4 pins as per the service manual. Mine had gotten sticky from the grease caking up. BE CAREFUL not to over grease! Too much will work it's way(sling) onto the belt.
Thanks nyroc. Nice job ,as usual.

Old 08-28-2002, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

I did mine the same way but the belt is a little tight it chirps a little when it is in high and low when I'm not moving. I love the black spring it makes the throttle responce more responsive.

Old 08-28-2002, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

Monte-- I'll get the black spring when I replace the worn belt that I am running now. I have a real "flat" wallet, as a result of riding EVERY w.e. ,since April 15th.!!!!!!
Also noticed that the pulley faces were in EXCELLENT shape. A very pleasant surprise.

Old 08-28-2002, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

Thats good hope to see you in october.

Old 08-29-2002, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

The saga continues. I got the belt deflection perfect(.87&quot, but I STILL have 2 freakin' noises from the clutch. #1-- is a suttle squeal when sitting in a FWD Range(hi or Lo), goes away in neutral.. #2-- Sounds like the engine braking is working overtime on deceleration. I blew out the dust in the drive pulley, do you think THAT could have made the noise (engine braking whine) . I didn't measure the belt(750 mi), it looked fine. Will THEY make weird noises? It all looked good. The sheaves, belt, seals, ????? It really pi$$es me off, to find something wrong, fixit, and STILL have unfamiliar noises!!!!!!! HELP!!!
NYROC--- You out there? Suggestions????
Monte-- Any ideas?
BTW-- I made a nice driven pulley spring compresser. I'll send the pix to nyroc, if he want to put them on his site. Send you email adress and I'll send jpegs.

Old 08-29-2002, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

Mine does the same thing. I figure it is just on the tighter side of the spec and it is chirpin a little because of the tolerences being so close to the belt it probably could use a small shim because the belt is still a little wider or shorter than what it needs to be. So it is a little tight on it and grips just enough to swack. I have not decided on what I want to do yet. I may leave it alone and just let it where it is or it may annoy me enough to go get the smallest shim they have and see what that does for it.

Old 08-29-2002, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Thanx Monte-- Think I'll run'er 'till she blows. I'll do a belt at 1K mi., or so. Was very glad to see the rest of the stuff looked nice in there, I thought I'd find horrors under that friggin' cover!

Old 08-29-2002, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Me too I was just surprised at how much dust I blew out of it. I'm glad I had the garage door open.

Old 08-29-2002, 01:26 PM
Range Rover

Same here trx450...850 miles when I took the cover off to find everything looking like new, except for the flopping belt (loose) and some dust everything looks good, surprisingly after how I ride it and the amount of crap I've drivin her through.

Called 3 dealers yesterday for pricing. Only got one to commit to adjusting the clutch/belt deflection for $50. I'm leaving the clutch housing cover off (it's off now) and when I get it back I'll have to put it back on!! He said he's gonna have to charge me $75 if I want the cover back on. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FRIGGIN RIDICULOUS!!! He wants $25 to replace 8 bolts, bullsh*t. But he said he would replace the secondary clutch spring with the EPI black spring I bought since he had it apart for NO EXTRA CHARGE!! woo hoo...WTF...I wanna b*tch slap these guys, I really do.

Oh yeah, these same guys charged me $3.10 for ONE of the large headed screws that holds the top plastic on (if you were sitting on the 650 the ones in the corner of the top plastic in front of your knee)....$3.10 for one tiny screw!! We bought 2 650's from them in September, had my neighbor buy a 650 from them 2 weeks later after seeing and riding ours, had two of my best friends each buy a 650 (one in february and one in june) and another guy that I ride with bought a Prairie 400 from them. ALL GENERATED BY ME...THATS OVER $40,000 WORTH OF BUSINESS I BROUGHT THEM...AND I STILL GET BENT OVER, WITHOUT EVEN A REACH-AROUND!!

Why can't dealers come to their wits and realize that CUSTOMER SATISFACTION is as important as SALES. The only thing I enjoy is walking into the service dept and telling the kawi techs how to do things to the 650 and tell them about problems that others are having. Seriously, by reading this forum and some others, I am more educated than they are about these machines. I just don't want to pop that clutch yet. $50 is worth no aggrevation to me.

Everyday I wake up and look more and more like Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down'...it's a good thing I put the bat down before I go to work.

Old 08-29-2002, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

DO IT YOURSELF!!! Follow NYROC's directions and you will be much better off you are already half done it REALLY is easy even with very little experience up until this one I never owned a Quad but still feel it was easy. If you have any questions just ask.

Quick Reply: P-650 Belt Adjust, ala "nyroc"