Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

anyone been beat buy a 500 ho

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had my p650 for about a year now can't really complain been through a few belts and am aproaching 5k on it its all stock but i have some 1.90 wheels and 27 inch muddrunners and a freind brought home a brand new polaris 500 HO we dragged on a gradded road a few times and he would pull a little better out of the whole and kept about two bike lenghts on me i couldnt pull him down.I realize that with my smaller tires i could probably get him but it would still be close i also had to much wheelspin taking off.Just curious on how any one else faired racing those 500.Is it time for the diamong g snorkel? and i gues i got about 50 more pounds body weight also.NOt trying to start a pissing contest just curios if my bike is still up to par i keep a good maintance schedule and clean stock air filter and reacently had the choke cable replaced.

Old 09-02-2002, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

Here is my experience racing my buddies 500HO scrambler. He and I are both stock except that I have 27" mudbugs which are also two sizes wider. I get beat by a quad length if we drag in two wheel drive. I beat him by three or four quad lengths in four wheel drive. Verdict is that the Prairie suffers from excessive wheelspin but I would not have it any other way!!!!!

Old 09-02-2002, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replys i was talking about the sportsman 500 ho but i do have a freind with a two wheel 500 scrambler that gets me just enough out of the hole and i cant run em down although he isnt pulling on me either those polarisis seem to have a nice launch and when i rode em the belt engagement feels a little better.I am not looking to drag race everyone i have a 01 banshee that takes care of my speed jonses.I would like to know what other 650 owners have experienced against these american made quads.As for the wheelspin i like it to it helps me steer better in the turns.And i imagine once he gets him self some larger tires and i grab a snorkel the story may change.

Old 09-02-2002, 12:24 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, one of my kids has a HO, and he just can't get over the fact that this 650 cleans his clock everytime, everywhere, on any sort of surface. Grass, dirt, pavement, don't make any difference. Unless I mess up driving, or get into a situation where wheel spin gets me, the result is always the same. Now for the real kicker. This same kid bought a Kaw Majovie(spelling) anyway, a 250cc screamer and that thing will top-out at better then 60mph, and I can't close at the top-end, and that is at 3000 ft elevation. Pretty neat little machine, clutch and reverse and all that stuff.

Now just because the Kaw is better at drag racing, when it comes to extended trail riding, I can't take any trophys, because he can leave me IN THE DUST. At my age I have a real dislike to kiss the ground at any speed, much less than 50mph+!!!

GO FORTH AND RIDE!!

98 450-s
stock, Titians
17000+ miles

00 Kodiak
Stock
Titians

02 Kaw 650
3100+ miles
stock

Old 09-03-2002, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

I am not experinced in drags however when I'm on the trail I can typically smoke anyone if I want to... even other 650s.... we can even switch 650s and it still happens. I guess it's experience with your bike knowing what it can and can not do, also you get to feel the power to the ground to minimize extra spinning, and know how the belt works on the auto tranni, and also the mantaince also plays a role... But I'm sorry but when I'm on the trail I don't compeat because I don't want to put my comrad's life at risk. Also Polaris work really good when they are BRAND new.... let age work on your problem.

Old 09-03-2002, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

I have yet to lose to a SP500HO or a SP700. I live in MN where its Polaris country. I think Polaris ATV's are nice machines but the Polaris owners for the most part seem ignorant to any other brand up here. They are in shock when my 650 cleans them up in a drag race.

On the same note, we came across a rider with a new Cat 500i with the Vinson motor in it. He talked a lot of smack but two different 500HO's cleaned his clock in a drag.

Daryn