Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

What to choose...'03 Vinson or '02 Praire

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find myself in a predicament, I need to trade off my Arctic Cat 500i off on a solid axle machine and have narrowed the choice down to two quads. The Suzuki '03 Vinson 500 5-speed or the '02 Kawasaki 650 Auto. Now I want power and a locking front differential, this is what the Kawi provides but for warranty work I'm a little far from a dealership. On the other hand I don't want an auto because of it slipping or breaking down on me. I prefer a manual tranny because it will last forever. Now the Vinson is a manual, I have a dealership in my home town, so warranty is close by and it matches my Z. It doesn't have a locking front diff but it has more power than I currently have which I think will satisfy my needs.

What does everyone thing I should do? Risk the Kawi and hope it doesn't need any warranty work because the dealer is far away or go with the Suzuki and getting warranty work done fast because its close. I kinda think the Suzuki has a slight edge because of convenience. If Kawi had a dealer in my area I would be all over it.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Old 09-30-2002, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

i was in the same predicament. iwent with prairie because of the difference in quality between the two quads. i rode my buddies vinson 5 spd and it was quicker than the automatic vinson but it does not compare to the power of the prairie. also the p-650 is pure luxury compared to the vinson. i wasn't crazy about owning an automatic either, but everything else about the prairie ( power, workmanship, looks, suspension etc...) made me forget about the manual.i wouldn't worry too much about warranty work as long as you are buying an 03 model. all the problems that kawi had on the p-650 seem to affect the 02 models only. all problems have been corrected for 03 as far as i have heard.
of course, this is all my opinion, but u need to decide for yourself. good luck with whatever u choose but i would GO PRAIRIE!

Old 09-30-2002, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to buy a used '02 Praire since they cost so much more than the Vinson. They are about $1000-$1500 more than the Vinson in my area. Canadian currency of course.

Old 09-30-2002, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

The Kawi is an exteremly well made machine. There is no choice there.

To address your concern, the belt does not ever leave any of us stranded. It gets looser and looser until it begins to slip. It gives you a very long time to take care of it.

Another thing, is that some of us, who care for the belt ourselves and install the black spring, are getting 3 to 5 times the belt life.

The belt takes me about 10 minutes to install, the black spring takes us around 30 to 45 minutes. May take some of us a little less, people who are mechanically challenged could take much longer.

The belt is trail changeable (10 minutes) with a phillips, 10mm socket, and 27mm socket. But, like I said, it takes many miles for it to start to suck, but it really never breaks unless we do something incredibly dum and wrong.

Also, if the belt gets wet, don't try to go. Get the machine out of the water and rev it in neutral. It will dry out and be fine. Don't jump it with full throttle (dumb).

bbertram, to me the belt is a complete non issue. I used to be afraid, and I was going to buy a honda, but people with kodiaks and polaris convinced me that belts were easy to work on. Plus, a guy around here has a website that is full of tech tips to help the less mechanically educated get a good handle on fixing stuff.

Problem Solved. Stop thinking negative (vinson) and go out and take the bull (650 ) by the horns (ok, enough imagery, you get it I'm sure).

Old 09-30-2002, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have an 02 P650 and it has not been problematic. I would definately go with the Kawi. As far as dealerships/service I have several Kawi dealers that are a short distance from my house... however i don't trust any of them..... So I travel 80 miles for any service.

Go prairie

Old 09-30-2002, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

bbertram,
i dont know where manitoba is but if you are near upstate new york or if u want to do a road trip u can get an 03 prairie from troy city garage in binghamton, ny for probably less than what u will pay for the vinson. there website is Text. good luck!!

Old 09-30-2002, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

OK, the Praire has power big time, I know, I want it. The belt kinda appeals to me too because of the always in the right gear approach it takes plus its got a diff lock. All of these features are wicked and I want them but the dealer is 4 hours away, from my parents house. The Suzuki dealership is like 15 minutes away and I trust them. I want the Kawi but its more money, like I said above about $1000-$1500 more than the Vinson if you buy brand new. I almost bought a good use 650 but the day I called they sold it, just my luck. I think I need to find a used one at a dealership or a demo for me to look at the Kawi, otherwise its just much money, unless I get top dollar for my 500i, which I doubt.

Old 09-30-2002, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

<< bbertram,
i dont know where manitoba is but if you are near upstate new york or if u want to do a road trip u can get an 03 prairie from troy city garage in binghamton, ny for probably less than what u will pay for the vinson. there website is Text. good luck!!
>>

I'm about 30 hours away from you.

Old 09-30-2002, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Why dont you like the AC 500i?? I think the 03 modesl would make one of the best mudders around with all that GC. Actually that would be the only reason I would own one. But anyway why dont you like it?

Old 09-30-2002, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

30 hours isn't so bad. just think, one day of driving to get a p-650 for the same price as a vinson. you will get a lifetime of fun out of it. seems worth it to me.

Quick Reply: What to choose...'03 Vinson or '02 Praire