Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

problem: 650 won't go into 4wd mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 02 650 will not shift into 4wd mode, it will only display 2wd regardless of what position the switch is in......Has anyone expierenced this problem or any ideas on what the problem may be?
Thanks

Old 10-05-2002, 04:55 PM
Range Rover

I don't know that much about it, but could it be in 4wd but not display it? You should be able to tell by the more difficult steering in 4wd. It probably is not engaging at all, however. My quad is new, but so far so good.

Old 10-05-2002, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

You have to be moving over 1kmh for it to shift.

If it doesn't shift, you could have a bad fuse, or a bad connection. Bad vehicle speed sensor. Bad KEBC controller (controls 4x4 also). Bad actuator.

IF the KEBC works, then the fuse and ign switch is ok. If the speedometer works, the speed sensor is ok.

You might want to get a manual so you can see the wiring diagram, if you are stuck fixing this yourself.

Old 10-06-2002, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

99vette,,,I just had this problem on my own 650.The first question is; Do you ride in a lot of deep mud and water?

I do.I couldn't get it to go into 4X4 a week after I did some hard mud riding and got mud and water in the belt area ,once it set in the shop and dried it basically glued the ebc actuator arm in place(if you don't hear the usual noises from the ebc when you turn the key on and off its a good sign that its the same thing)
I took the cover off, cleaned 'er all up, put it back together and everything is AOK now.

PS, the machine didn't so much as give a hiccup the whole day it actually got the mud and water in it, it had to set to cause the problem.

Old 10-07-2002, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

Mine did the same thing. The actuator had gone bad. It became difficult to get into 4wd before it went completely out. Once I figured out it was the actuator, I would tap it and it would sometimes engage then. This only worked a few times before I had the actuator replace.

Nyroc gave some good troubleshooting tips. Try what he said, and hope it is only a fuse.

Old 10-08-2002, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replys.....I ordered a service manual in order to troubleshoot the problem.....It's not the fuse or the speed sensor and the EBC is working properly so it must be a connection somewhere or the actuator is bad. I may remove the actuator and apply current to it directly to see if it will turn.

Old 10-08-2002, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Good luck.

The red is +, black is - (I think reversing these makes it move backwards)

Blue is gnd (always)
Orange is Vcc (a constant DC voltage for the position sensing postentiometer) I gues I don't know what the voltage is, but it very well could be 2.8v.
Yellow is V(out). This one is suppopsed to have 0 to 2.855v output depending on position (0 for 2wd).

A try energizing the red and black to see if it moves.

Old 10-09-2002, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default problem: 650 won't go into 4wd mode

Just to update: I found out the problem is the acuator. I took the motor apart and discovered water hade leaked in though the seal and basically rusted and corroded everything inside.....So if any of you ride though high water.....Beware! A new acuator is around $200