Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

'03 P650 "Belt Check" Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was pulling a little PM on my Prairie this afternoon and decided to take the right side panel off to inspect the belt. (Not that it was due or anything...23 hours/225 miles...just being curious.) Well, I think I screwed up: I was messing with the belt wear indicator actuator inside the housing and flipped in back and forth a couple of times to be sure it was working properly. Then I carefully started the engine to watch how the clutch engaged and to get familiar with the workings in preperation for installing a "black spring" when it arrives in a few days. The light did NOT start flashing on the control panel, so I shut the engine off, flipped the actuactor to the "off" setting, restarted the engine, and sure enough the red "belt check" light started flashing. I then shut the engine off, flipped the actuator back to the original position, restarted the engine, and the flashing light remains on.

I checked my owners manual and it explains that the indicator light comes on when either a) the belt is excessively worn or damaged or b) when the bike has been used for 100 hours or more. Either way, the manual doesn't say how to make the flashing light go away, only to take it into the dealer for "reset and adjustment"

Can anyone tell me just what it is that the dealer does to make the light quit flashing?

HELP!

Old 10-05-2002, 09:23 PM
Range Rover

Go to nyrocs site under tech tips. Near the bottom it said belt light reset or something like that. I have never tried it, but it sounds easy enough.

Old 10-06-2002, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

The switch should be set to "on" (it should be set opposite belt direction).

The KEBC motor may have spooled out (lever exteneded) when you ran the engine without the cover on. That's a no-no. My website says not to run the motor without the cover. I think my website also says how to spool it back in the vent that yours has spooled out. You basically apply power to the red and black wired until the motor spools back in.

Sometimes the KEBC system does need an electronic reset. The procedure is on my website (tech tips area), like pcpacker said. I did not write it, and don't know anything about it other than that. I don't know it all, I just collect Prairie650 knowledge and store it in the tech tips area.

So,
1. Make sure the switch is set to "on" (repair manual says)
2. If the KEBC spooled out, get it back.
3. If the light still flashes, follow that procedure on my website.

good luck

Old 10-06-2002, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

Nyroc is right, the manual says set the switch to on = open circuit (flipped towards rear of machine when cover in place). But, wouldn't disconnecting the battery for a minute or two reset the Belt switch relay? I think the relays are hidden behind the duct boot.

Old 10-06-2002, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer

Another related question: Someone PLEASE tell me that the flashing "Belt Check" light also means that SOMETHING is also effected in the engine! (I also was tweaking my carb jetting before I pulled off the side case; Now the engine starts and idles fine but misses and backfires at anything above 50% throttle!) I'm hoping that the smart guys at Kawasaki somehow make the enngine timeing retard or something when belt wear/damage triggers the switch?

Still haven't figured how to reset the damned thing, but I'm working on it.

PLEASE HELP!

Old 10-06-2002, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

The KEBC system is made so that when activated it will cut the fire much like your reverse over ride switch. Get that fixed and you'll be fine.

Old 10-07-2002, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

WHEW, what a relief! You were right, HIGHGEAR, the firing problem went away when I got the CHECK BELT warning light to reset.

Here is the latest official info. on how to reset the Belt Warning Light, straight from the &quot;03 Kawasaki Service Manual&quot;: (BTW, NYROC, you might want to edit the info on your web page &quot;technical info.&quot; relating to this; it is pretty vague and not exactly right. I got the following FAXED to my from my local dealer and it worked like a charm. The BOLD print is copied exactly from the Service Manual, the <u>NOTES</u> are my own.):

Re-Setting Belt Warning Light (KVF360, KVF 650) <u>Note:</u> The manual doesn't say to do this, and it is not imperative, but it really helps to remove the front plastic to perform this procedure.)

Always inspect the drive belt before re-setting the belt warning light.

1.) Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2.) Disconnect the belt failure switch at the 2-pin connector above the CVT cover.
(Note: Just follow the wires coming from the rectangular black box on the CVT Cover to locate this connector.)

3.) Disconnect both sets of 5 pin connectors located above the CVT cover.
<u>Note:</u> These connectors are located just beneath the shift handle on the right side of the 650; one is black and one is grey. The hardest time that I had was trying to figure how to get these plugs apart!)

4.) Connect these 5 pin connectors to their opposite pairs-grey to black and black to grey.

5.) Turn on the ignition switch.

6.) Observe the belt-warning lamp. It should be flashing at a 0.4 second interval. Let the lamp flash for at least seven seconds.

7.) After seven seconds or more, turn the ignition switch off. The belt warning lamp should flash 3 times, indicating that the lamp has been successfully re-set. (If it does not flash 3 times, repeat steps 1 through 7.)
<u>Note:</u> I tried twice and couldn't get the lamp to flash the three times after turning off the ignition, but the procedure worked irregardless.)

8.) Reconnect 5 pin connectors to their proper location.

9.) Connect the belt failure switch 2-pin connector.

10.) Turn the ignition switch on to confirm that the belt warning light has been re-set.

That's all there is to it. Hopefully this posting will help some other hapless soul from going through the same anguish that I did.

DV

Old 10-07-2002, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

PrairiePuppy (PeePee for short) we all know that you rode the &quot;Short Bus&quot; to Mrs. Green's class everyday. You are fully aware that you are not qualified to check the air pressure in the tires let alone go as deep as you have. Now you get your fingers out of that thing and keep them out.

Old 10-07-2002, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

Mrs. Green Says, &quot;If you can't say anything nice, then shutthefreakup&quot;, or something like that.

Hey Partsman, I'll have &quot;The GoodBook&quot;, I am of course referring to the official Service Manual, by the end of next week. If you ever need it, .................If you ever need it, that's too bad. (Just kidding, just let me know.)

DV

Old 10-08-2002, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the tech tip PrairiePuppy.

partsman2, you scared me for a minute. I had replaced the belt light reset info I had with the stuff that Puppy put here, then I read your post (which is inside humor) that appeared to severly discredit him. It caused me to be concerned about the accuracy of the belt light reset info. Of course, I also wondered if you had too much wobbly pop.

Now I know you guys are joking, I'm straight now.

Quick Reply: '03 P650 "Belt Check" Indicator Light