Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dial A/JET second best thing in the world

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dial A/JET second best thing in the world

Wouldn't it be nice to set your jets without having to take the carbs apart time and time again. I have had my bike apart 30+ times doing almost I am sure any and all combos to the carbs. I have tried D/J Jets and found the better way to go at least for me is the Kawi jets.

I had the day off today so like kid in a toy shop with dad's plastic I decided to go to a sled hopup store, bad thing to do, very bad ,at least that is what wifey told me later on. Yammy is comming out with a sled with 4 cylinders and 4 stroke to boot. Now the interesting part is there is already updates to get more HP out of this hot rod sled. With some modifying to these new jets it can work on the Kawi, after fiddling with the jets for 2 hours on the lathe and 2 hours to install it works excellent. There are 5 positions the jets can be set at so you can have any number of different combinations. When you want to change jet size for modding the muffler lift the plastic turn the *** done in 10 minuites tops. If you wish to change for elivation again lift the plastic turn the ***, done in 10 minuites.

I hooked up the jets inline with the carbs between the carb and the motor in the rubber housing. Extra fuel is drained from the bleeder screw at the bottom of the float bowl fed to the new jet. Air inlet for the new jet is supplied from old air filter before changing to Uni air filter.

I still need to make a air snorkle not unlike Diamond G's as I already have this installed. More like a vent that can be closed off or opened at will. This will I exspect, allow, for fine tuneing the jets more like a 132.5 or 132.6 or 132.7 and so on. I had to reduce my jet size to 2 sizes smaller than I am using after modding the air box and muffler. I am going to build a vent install it before I go out this weekend to put it through its paces and let you all now how it worked. I plan to hit elivations of up to 9000ft this weekend will post findings later.

Old 10-09-2002, 02:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Alltoys,
I have one of those RX-1 rockets. What carb mods are you aware of for the extra ponies? I would be very interested in learning more
Thanks!!!

Old 10-09-2002, 05:35 AM
Pro Rider

alltoys, when are you installing the GMC 671 blower? you gonna try and qualify for the winternationals!!!LOL!!

you have the baddest 650 in the land my bro... got pics?

lets see it...

wayde

Old 10-09-2002, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

Supernova

The RX-1 from what I can tell is definately a rocket so I can see how you like the Kawi. I have been searching for dial a jet system for quite some time, I have seen in magazines where they were designed for 2 strokes and now that there is a 4 stroke sled more possibilities arise with the manufactures. I still have a hard time understanding why there is more hopup information to do with sleds as opposed to quads. Sleds can do 100mph on snow and yet there is restrictions on quads go figure!!!!! Have you ever hit a stump lurking under the surface of the snow HHHMMMMMM!!!!!!

I had to adapt these jets as it was designed at least the one I had for the RX-1. The person to talk to is Lonn at Thunder Products 320 597-2700. I baught this system before I talked to Lonn as there was no instructions with it and the dealer wasn't very helpful. So I hit the web and even though they are not on the web I dug around different sled shops only to find they are not in Canada just affiliated in the States. They have been doing this for years building Dial A/Jets for almost anything that is carburated hope this helps let me now what you do with your sled, my friend is as radical as I am when it comes to forward motion.

Old 10-09-2002, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

Scootdog

You may laugh but I was considering turbocharging the Green Machine, I have turboed an older Kawi 750 triple cylinder back in 78 it was a 2 stroke. It went like a rapped ape before and after it had that ball grabing, head snapping kind of horsepower, you now what I mean! The nos unit I am using is what is called a dry system adapted from a Dodge Neon the only problem with it is I have to watch the tach and the road at the same time and is not idiot proof, I can do serious damage to the bike and myself. I am working on a nos wet system which is more user friendly and will deliver a regulated boost as opposed to holy.............sh!#$%&^t what did I do.

As for pictures the Green Machine looks pretty much like everyone elses, I like it that way so when I go riding and some unsuspecting YOUNGE FELLOW wants to drag the OLD MAN. I say OK DO YOU WANT A HEAD START, that usually brings on a smile then if I have a rearview mirror that's usually the last time I see them. In a head to head drag with a souped Banshee at 300ft I can upset the Yammy by 1 1/2 lengths with nos, without nos he does me in by 2 lengths. After 300ft the CDI system kicks in and its sianora Kawi make sure you wright.

Before Xmas I intend to install a set of cams from Mike Penland and the new CDI with the wet nos set up this combination should be unstopable. Maybe Santy Clause will drop off a digital camera, take some pics and maybe I can put them on Master Nyroc's web site. I will talk to you again Scooty after this weekend when I put these new jets through the passes. Take care ubove all have fun.

Old 10-09-2002, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Alltoys.....
Great info...thanks!!! I love the Kawi!
As you can see, I sit on both sides of the outdoor recreational camps and like yourself....I love creating vapour trails (old name) wherever it is safe to do so. Kids have calmed me down somewhat.
The emergence and soon acceptance of 4 stroke technology with sleds is going to bring a wealth of mods to our 4 wheeling sport. I think it's just because the sledders appear more organized in some areas and the manufacturers have responded as such.
Santa (Bearman) is going to have a little special treat for all you boys and girls that have been good 650 owners out there by way of his much anticipated CDI.
Yes...I've hit numerous hidden objects zipping along the trail. Drifts on a lake bed make the adrenalin pump when hit at speed.
I'll contact Lonn after I break this new beast in.
Thanks again for the info....very much appreciated.

Old 10-10-2002, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

Supernova

I can't wait to here about your sled even if its on this forum if not PM me I would still like to hear about your 4 stroke rocket.

Old 10-10-2002, 09:30 PM
Range Rover

Hey alltoys, did you order hte snorkel kit with it? I'm gonna order one soon and want to get everything at once. Any tips on installation? I have a Dynojet kit and I know I will have to jet down, but how much? The kit came with jets as small as a 118. I'm running the 132 and 136 now.

Old 10-11-2002, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Alltoys. If Nyroc is just master Nyroc, does that make you Grand Master Alltoys? I think you better start your own site buddy!!!!!!!! Your followers are increasing daily Dali Lama Alltoys!!!! HE HE HE!!!!

Old 10-11-2002, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Thumpin650

Yes if you can get the snorkle kit for the jets get them. I had to adapt the ones I got as they are for a 4 cylinder race sled and for what reason they think there is no dirt in the air in the winter. I wanted the system right away because I wanted to use the bike this weekend in the mountains so I did not order the unit. Although I talked with the rep and he was very helpful, the dealer at the sled shop I talked to was rather tight lipped on most stuff only because he wanted to install it on my bike. Charge big bucks well you know the rest. A little adapting here and there and it works excellent.

I see from your signature you have modded your bike pretty much like mine. Since I have made a shop built dyno I determined the Mikuni jets are some what better power producers than the DJ's. I found the largest DJ jet set was slightly lower in the power band than the stock jets that came in the bike. When I go to the mountains I ride at 2200ft up to 9000ft. The jets I had in were 145fr & 148r then moved up to 148fr & 150r when I moved up to higher elevations. This was very interesting especially when I hooked up the nos.

Lets get back to dial a jets. I have now gone down to 138fr & 142r stock configuration, why you ask? The carburator jets are now just used to idle the motor, when you give it gas the vacume brings the added jets into play and adds to the carb jets. This vacume is pure from the motor and the dial a jets don't have to run an obstacle course to get there. No incumberances fuel and air almost as efficient as " DI" (direct intake). Effecieny means horsepower on the dyno I recorded 2 more hp. Understand this with the other jets alone I acheived an added 1.3 hp advantage. Not much right, but it is noticeable. I find my response is quicker off the line and there is more midrange giddy up and go. I ran a 300ft drag before and after with an average 1.4 second better time with the dial a jets.

Power is one thing the ease of operation is 10 fold I do a modd pull the plastic turn a *** adjust the carb done. That takes a grand total of 10 minuites, try that the old way I dare you. When I'm up in the mountains with me quading mates and they start to sputte and bang, I change my jets on the fly and get the same response I had at a lower elevation leaving them sucking hind %^*(you now what I mean). Mind you I haven't told them I installed it so it will be a surprise LOL!!!!!! Hope this helps a little I seem to be long winded tonight, if you need any help let me know have fun.

Quick Reply: Dial A/JET second best thing in the world