Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 or Sportsman 500?? Help me decide!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 02:53 PM
rty
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 650 or Sportsman 500?? Help me decide!!

I can't decide on a P-650 or a SP-500. I have read the pros and cons of each model, but am still undecided.
I will list my personal dislikes and likes for each model and maybe some of the owners out there will fill in the gaps or expound on my opinions.

SP-500: Cons: #1. Don't like the single lever braking or the rear-only engine braking. (This is my main complaint)
#2. Requires belt spring modification to make the takeoff snappy enough for wheelies.
#3. Concerned about reliability issues. I will admit Polaris has come a long way with the latest models.

Pros: #1. Belt seems to last a long time (lifetime warranty).
#2. Rides like a dream.
#3. Looks better than the P-650.
#4. Parts are cheap compared to the P-650.

P-650: Cons: #1. Belt squeals/squeaks and seems to need attention right off the showroom floor to make it last and even then its life appears to be short (around 1500 miles). This is my biggest complaint and the one that I can't seem to resolve. I really don't want to hear the belt making noise every time I ride. I have read NYROC"S site, but just never got the warm fuzzy feeling yet.
#2. The plastic is thin and looks really flimsy. Doesn't look like it will last very long
#3. The key is out on the right front fender and I wonder how easy it is to knock it off and lose it. (maybe this is a non-issue)

Pros: #1. What a motor!
#2. Has an excellent braking system.
#3. Sportier than the SP-500

So here it is. Take these opinions, rip'em apart and add in your experiences. Right now, I am leaning towards the P-650, If I can just get that darned belt issue squared away. By the way, I posted this on the Polaris and Kawasaki forums. THANKS!!

Old 10-15-2002, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

The key thing is nothing I have never nocked it off or any thing if you knock it off you are also going to be hit. As for the belt That is your desicion. Mine has been fine since I bought it I have never had a problem with mine however I aslo installed the black spring for a snappier throttle. The belt can be changed real easy all you need is a 10 mm wrench and a large socket to turn it ( as you know). The plastic is not all that bad it flexes instead of brakes I don't have any cracked plastic yet (knock on wood) I have even rolled it. I put it back on its wheels and it was fine the only thing that brock was the radiator cap access hole because my chain saw hit it. This is my first quad and I would still by it agian. The biggest thing is how do you plan on riding it do you plan on trouling around or ripping on it like a sport bike? As far as parts go they are all about the same you just have to watch what dealler you buy it from.

Over all I found a lot more plusses than minuses about the prairie. Look at most four wheelers the plastic is also usually broke if they are an agressive rider.

Old 10-15-2002, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

RTY, you don't get a warm fuzzy feeling after visiting my website? I can't believe it.

Nobody has ever mentioned damaging the key that I know of.

The main plastic is fine, but the black trim around the edges is flimsy. I would base any decision on that trim. I have a tech tip on my website that tells you how to inexpensively fix the black trim.

You should start feeling warm and fuzzy about the 650 soon. Go get a snickers. Remember the snickers commercial about the guy that asked for an old lady's phone # because of hunger (impaired judgement)?

Don't be going hungry on us. Get a snickers to eat and everything will become clear.

Old 10-15-2002, 03:22 PM
Range Rover

Ride them both. It will become real clear. If you want a warm fuzzy feeling go to voyeurweb.com

Old 10-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Range Rover

If your not eighteen disregard that website

Old 10-15-2002, 03:34 PM
rty
Trailblazer

Actually, I am a regular viewer at voyeurweb.com and a lot of others. Funny though, all the feelings I get from them I wouldn't quite call warm and fuzzy, maybe warm and stiff.

I am still looking a good description of the belt noise type, volume and duration I can expect. I don't mind installing the spring for added performance and reliability. Am I just being picky about the belt? I have ridden both, but it was on a little ****-a** track next to the dealership. My riding stye is a mixture of cruising around, mudding and sport riding (some jumping, hills, woods etc..)

Old 10-15-2002, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

You are being PICKY its 650 all the way!!!

Old 10-15-2002, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

prarie...no-brainer

Old 10-15-2002, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

RTY

Just get yourself a set of BALL's and buy it. You are going to need them any way to push the 650's limits!!!!

Old 10-15-2002, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

i would go w/ the p650, faster top end, more power, sportier for when u wanna go fast, and i personally like the looks of it better

Quick Reply: Prairie 650 or Sportsman 500?? Help me decide!!