Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

p650 stock wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p650 stock wheels?

I've been reading this site for a while now and looking forward to puting some of these modifications on to my p650 that you all are talking about.

I'm thinking of going with 27" dirt devil a/t or x/t on my stock wheels with out a lift or spacers. Is that a mistake? It seems like most of you guys have gone with new wheels. would someone tell me if the 27" dirt devils would work just fine with stock wheels. Will they rub without a lift?
Am I going to get bad performance with new tires on stock wheels?

Thanks guys! I really enjoy your posts about the p650.

I think I am changing the springs also. Black primary, red secondary. Is that right?

Old 10-18-2002, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

No problem at all they fit on stock rims no rubbing. I luv'em I plan on getting them agian. By the way you can only get the X/T ( I think the ones with 1 1/4" lugs for 26",27", and 28")

Old 10-18-2002, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome Trailburner; Stock wheels work just fine in the application you mention. Some aftermarket wheels have a different offset than the stockers which is why they require the use of spacers for proper clearance. Not all but some. In your case no lift is required.

The black driven clutch spring is the one you want. Check Nyroc's site for more info.

Old 10-18-2002, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

thanks alot for the replies. I'm excited to feel the difference the tires will make.

Old 10-18-2002, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

Trailburner, good choice on machines! As to mounting your 27" DDs on stockers it will work perfectly. You won't be at a loss for using the stockers either (except for aesthetics), as the stock rims are some of the lightest aluminum rims available.

However let me give you a note of caution, since you are using the stock rims you need to keep in mind that your front rim is .5 inches narrower than the rear and will add a little to your tire diameter. Measure the DDs before you buy them, if the 27s measure the same diameter off of the rim the fronts will more than likely be taller whan the rears when mounted. Thus the reason my rears are 26x12.00-12 and my fronts are 25x10.00-12, my rolling distance is nearly identical with the rears being slightly taller (prefered), you will see this as a stock set-up on Bomb Quest XTs and Bombardier will tell you its not for different gearing its to keep the rolling distances close. You may want to consider a 28" rear and 27" front as the Devils are quite shorter than their stated diameter anyway.

Old 10-18-2002, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Black spring is for the secondary, red is for the primary. Also the primary is called the drive pulley and the secondary is the driven pulley.

Old 10-18-2002, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

On the subject of stock 650 wheels, does anyone have any good pointers on how to straighten rock dings in the
edge of the rims. Did the Rock Canyon ride at the Rocky Mountain ATV Jamboree last month and picked up several dents in the front rims. Thanks GeeBee

Old 10-19-2002, 12:51 AM
Range Rover

I have some good dings in my stock rims also. I haven't tried hammering them out or anything. I think I will worry about them when I upgrade tires.

Old 10-19-2002, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Guys, if the dings you're talking about are cosmetic only don't bother hammering them out as all you'll do is weaken the wheel by over working the metal. If they hold air and are still somewhat round, just keep riding. When you get new tires, be sure to fet some that protect the wheels. Only dings I have on 3 sets of wheels came before the oem tires were taken off.

On the subject of tire height the jury is still out on mismatching tires [26" front & 27" rear]. The combination Muddhound mentions may well be a good one as it is one of the few myself or the guys I ride with havn't yet tried. Believe me, we've tried some spooky combos.

Muddhound; do you notice any difference in being able to shift in and out of 4x4. Taking longer to lock in or disconnect have been our first signs of a bad combo.

Old 10-19-2002, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

Actually mine works great, I still have a little lag going into 4x4 most of the time but it comes out smooth as glass now. I can now shift from 4x4 to 2x4 while moving and the switch be totally silent with no felt "clunk". If I could buy new tires tomarrow the only thing I'd do differrent would be to buy 28" rears and 27" fronts.

Quick Reply: p650 stock wheels?