Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Raced Grizz twice yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced Grizz twice yesterday....

and lost by about a bike length each time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

The only difference between the two was that the grizz was on stock tires and I had 27" mudbugs that were also 2" wider all around.
He got the jump out of the hole each time but once we were rolling neither bike gained or lost any ground. I was wondering if the EPI black spring would fix this.
Obviously if I had my stock dunflops on it would be no contest, which the guy readily admitted to, but it still sucked.
What is the best way to get my holeshot back?

Old 11-03-2002, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

Prairiedust
Yes the big tires can kill the power, i wonder if it is necessary to have 12wide tires on back, im sure the 10 inch would work great in mud and would be faster to boot. ( this is a costly experiment , has anyone tried it). I dont knew if the spring would help , i presume your belt didn't slip, was the weight of the griz rider comparable? did you get some snow last night?
Raymond

Old 11-03-2002, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Roscoe
What width are your mudbugs and have you had a chance to line up with a 660 in your current configuration? If so what was the result?
Funny that you mention the smaller width because I was thinking that when I wore out my rears, which wont be long, that I would put the front on the back and buy 8" for the front. I thought the fatter skins was a good idea in the store but never realized how much power I would loose until I mounted them up.
My belt has never slipped, and I weigh in at about 20 more pounds than him.
As for snow not really just enough to let us know its coming, how about yourself?

Old 11-04-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

The black spring will help you. With the black spring it will cause the bike to shift up at a different rpm giving back power. This should help out some what. Even if the griz had the same tires he probably still would have beat you because the griz has a better clutch design and doesnt lose as much power as the p650. The clutch spring brings back the power for the most part that you had before. Another thing i have found is in accelleration the grizzly has more traction due to the indipendant rear suspension. My bro just bought a griz and is running the same tires as me but his is bone stock otherwise. i have an exhaust mod and bigger snork with holes in the airbox lid and we are dead even. Except when we drag on gravel as he spins less so he gets a better launch and gets a hair ahead then we stay even all the way up to top end. But after going mudding this weekend im glad i didnt get the griz. He got his belt wet twice. I went thru the same spots and mine was high and dry. His also sputtered occasionally in the water. I had a black spring in mine but then took it out because i lost top speed. Then found out it wwasnt the spring that slowed it down and that it was just my belt deflection was off. I am going to put it back in soon and i know i should beat him. The black spring realy increases the acceleration.

Old 11-04-2002, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know if this will help 'cause I've never pitted my quad against a Griz, but just yesterday, I was riding with a big group (30 bikes) and three of them were new RINCONS. I recently installed the new "black spring" and I am happy to report.....no contest! (Both hole shot AND Top End.) Out of the 30 bikes (mostly utilities, but 6 or 7 sports) that big throbbing V-twin had them ALL drooling, especially the guys who had just put their hard earned bucks down on those Hondas. (One of those guys, a good friend of mine and I, traded bikes for an hour or so, and I almost couldn't get him off of my 650. He agreed that he had made a huge mistake!

Looking forward to riding with a Grizzly soon,

DV

Old 11-05-2002, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider

Puppy,
your Prarie is maybe fast, but the Rincon has I R S, which always means very smooth ride.
And much bigger ground clearance.
The the major differences between those 2 quads, from my perspective, is Hondas ineffective limited slip diff., and the IRS vs. solid axle as I mentioned. The speed is not that importand for most ute riders. /the power might be/, since all 500 cc's plus quads go between 55/57/- 65 MPH. But Hondas proven reliability might also be a big issue for some people.
I have Grizz.660 and I'd buy the Rincon anytime, if it had a locking differential. I have to admit, I don't race my G660. Mud and fallen trees are my challenges.
J.

Old 11-05-2002, 07:41 AM
Trailblazer

PrairieDust I have the same tires as you do and I added the Black spring. I raced a stock Grizz 660 last week and the bikes were dead even. We tried it from a stop and from a rolling start with no difference. We raced on a dirt road for about a km and they stayed dead even the whole time.

Old 11-05-2002, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Mudseeker , thats the kind of report I was hoping to hear. I know that EPI sells the spring kits but how did you get yours. Did you just give them your visa and have it shipped or did you get it through a dealer?

Old 11-05-2002, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Prairiedust
Been busy for a few days.
I have 12" wide rear tires, a must here in the foothills. small strips of land between muskegs. I think probably where you run in Nova scotia that you get into a lot of rock and harder surface. Here i need a good back tire and the mudbugs work great but i sure would like to try some narrow tires to see if it would work. The power is there, lock diff works great, but being alert for loon $hit is what i have the problem with. Im usually putting along and all of a sudden its too late for 4 wheel drive and lock up. Where do you ride at ? I used to live outside of windsor at Newport Station. That was a assortment of rock and swamps, rough ground and a torture test on quads. Was in NS last summer and went to Panuke lakes with my brother, areas where i used to hunt on foot were real he!! on a quad. Boy i would like to see the undercarriage of your unit.
Raymond

Old 11-05-2002, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

I think it was because you were probably racing him in low range. In high range you should have beat him by about 12 bike lengths. (=

Quick Reply: Raced Grizz twice yesterday....