Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Holeshot ATR Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holeshot ATR Tires

I noticed the same problem right after I got my 650 back from the 10-hour check. I run down the pavement for short distance to the entrance to the trails. I remember running the machine down the road when I first got it and could not believe how smooth it ran, just like a well aligned car no pulling or anything. Then the other day after the 10 hour check I notice the machine walks or wobbles side to side at high speed on the road unlike it had before, the only real difference it that it is now much colder. I believe if it were warmer out the problem would go away, with tires being cold they may have a different shape, pressure can vary, suspension does not respond as quickly in the cold ect. I have not replaced the tires so the only thing that really changed was the temperature and the tire pressure.

I would try and increase the tire pressure to compensate for the cold rather then decreasing it to see how much difference it makes, the reason I say this is that the dealer did let out some pressure on mine. But I'm not going to worry about it until I can test in warmer temperatures.

Old 12-02-2002, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Just ordered my ATR's today, I hope they work well. The wobble could indeed be the cold weather. (I HOPE)

Old 12-03-2002, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Keep us posted on how you like them compared to the stockers!

Those Prairies have way to much power for the stock tires and I am sure the Rincon I will be getting will also have to much for stock tires!

I have friends with 650's and they kill the stock tires in 1500 miles,

Thanks

Old 12-07-2002, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

Did you guys check out the updated story on the ATR's at atvconnection.com? I know I like my in the snow. I just got back from a ride where I was pulling all the kids (a chain of 3 sleds), up the mountain. The snow was about 6"-10". WOW! They go like there is no tomorrow. My only mistake was waiting so long to get them. My father in law likes them so much he getting so next week. (bye-bye 589's)

Old 12-07-2002, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

My 589s work good but they are very rough riding. We rode today up Burk Mtn, WV in the snow. The 589s take the zip right out of the P650. I believe the ATR's will be my next set of tires.

Old 12-08-2002, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

I have the ITP 589's, but need them now for climbing and pulling up steep leaf covered hills with soft dirt. I use my 650 now for hunting and retrieving a deer from back in the woods. The ground is wet and the hills are steep and want those deep cleats to pull a deer out if it's in the bottom of one of those ravines. But in the summer, I love to do riding for sport and am thinking about buying some ATR's. I don't like the way the 589's ride and felt that the stockers, even though they are weak tires, rode much better. I consider the 589's to be utility tires, but want some sportier tires when I'm just out having fun. I noticed that the 589's have a bad side to side wobble at about 30 mph and thought my front end may not be aligned.

Old 12-08-2002, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

RebelDS, I couldnt agree with you more. We only rode about 30 miles yesterday and my shoulders and arms are sore. This is very unusual for me and I have no doubt that it came from the viberation and jolting of those 589s. I understand where you are coming from with the traction. They are great when you positively have to have it.

Old 12-08-2002, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer

Don't get me wrong, I like the 589's, there a great tire. But they are only good at one thing. That one thing they are really really good. But I only do that one thing 1% of the time. The ATR's are good at the other 99% of things. The 99% is where I ride.

Old 12-08-2002, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Christmas came early for me this week my wife ordered me some ATR's and the Rims for Xmas but they got here a week before the lady said they would so I put them on today. I had 589's and they were very good tires but I wanted something more trail worthy, since I really dont play on the mud to much. So I put them on today after riding around on the 589's for about a 1/2 hour or so. The first and biggest difference wha the steering effort. Its like a whole new bike. It steers so easy I cant believe it is the same bike. We have about 2 inches of snow here that is melting off today so traction is a bit slippery. They do not in any way go as well as the 589's in the snow but what can you expect no big surprise there. But they seem to have a little more bit when you are doing donuts and such they didn't slide as easy which kind of surprised me.

One big thing I noticed is the ATR's are about 3/4 of an inch TALLER than the 589's which really tripped me out. The 589's had a little wear on them but they were still in good shape. That extra gound clearance is really nice. The bike handled really well and I didnt have any wobble what so ever on mine and I hit about 45 or so. They did seem to wander abit more than the 589's but I had the pressure a 6 front and rear so that might have had something to do with it. They jump a whole lot better to I didnt get any big time air but they just seemed to land a little better and take off a little more straighter.

They had a little trouble hooking up with the snow compared to the 589's. It took a lot more effort to get a wheelie unless you found a spot with the snow melted off but when they did they pulled it right up. I am sure they will do as good or better when there isn't any snow on the ground. I rode through the creek in the back and thats where the biggest difference is. Before I could roll right through in 2 wheel drive but no any more I had to put it in 4 wheel and still almost got stuck. Going up 2-3 foot banks on the creek took a lot more effort too. I think you really need to spin the ATR's to get them clean they will gum up if you dont. I was playing on some little small banks out of the creek they are not really steep but they are a little slick and if your not spinning the ATR's they dont seem to want to pull as well. I only rode for a little while but I am glad I got the ATR's. For trail riding and climbing I think they will be the trick. But if your even thinking about snow and mud then go for the 589's.