Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

sorry guys another jetting thing, really need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry guys another jetting thing, really need help

I really don't know what to tell you now I have the 5 uni-vent's, with twin air filter, HMF with quiet core, Dyno-jet with needle's in the 4th notch 134 main front 138 main rear and live at about 1500 ft above sea level and have no hesitation anymore, my air screw's were 3 turn's out but the dealer re set them when I had the carb's sync'ed I think he set them richer, about 3 1/4 front carb and 3 1/2 rear carb to get them sync'ed right, I don't know guy's could still be the choke pluger's still sticking a little, good luck

Old 12-01-2002, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

My choke cable was replaced 1 1/2 yrs ago. The mechanic told me he replaced it but I don't know if I trust him. I stopped going to him a yr ago and started doing my own work. How can I tell if he replaced it? My first step is going to drop my jet size to 128 front and 132 rear then 126 front and 130 rear if I have to. Have you ever heard of jets this low at 1500-2000ft elevation? This will be much easier then starting all over with Keihin jets but I will if I have to.

Old 12-01-2002, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Haynes1111, your mods are very similar to Stakks. The elevations are close in both of your locations; I would think that the jetting should be very close. After all, all the 650's leaving the factory have identical carb settings and run good. Try duct taping the Uni Vent holes and see if it's any better, if not , try removing the lid completely. Another easy way to check for lean or rich is to snap the choke on and then off very quickly before you hit the throttle. If the hesitation becomes worse, you're running rich. When you oiled the air filter, did you get every bit of excess oil out of the foam before you reinstalled? Is your idle set very slow? If so, the engine has a more difficult time handling the air/fuel mixture when you mash the throttle. Do you let the machine warm completely before trying the throttle response? Mine needs to be fully warmed up to accept a quick jab of the throttle from a dead stop. Spark plugs in good shape and gapped correctly? Sorry for the rambling nature of the post; I'm trying to cover as many possibilities as I can.

Old 12-01-2002, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

Oshawa, the 360 belt runs fine, no skweak at all yet, well I only put 200KM on it, did'nt measure it since it dosn't skweak, so for now I am satisfied. It takes off better I think. It's not a long job to change it and i was tired of the original belt wearing so fast so I tried this one out since The after-markets seams to be taking all there time to develop a belt for us. Anybody heard of those after-market belts anyways?

Old 12-02-2002, 12:48 AM
fru
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]My 02 650 is bone stock what do I need to do to make her rock? Hey that kinda rymed. I read about you guys jetting but I'm not sure where to start, stock air box, stock snorkle, stock everthing my elevation is 1500 ft and it has to run fine to about -20c. Also wondering about advancing the timing 6 deg. like everyone is talking about how is that accomplished. Anny help would be ever soo nice.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2002, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Nova, Haynes

If you are having hesitation on take off then you need more fuel the motor is bogging out before it gets fuel adjust the airscrews accordingly. Turn in your airscrew untill the motor will run rough take note at the amount of turns out at this point. Turn the airscrew out untill the motor wants to run fast take note of turns out. Then turn airscrew back in till it is half between the two positions. I.E if the motor runs rough at 1 1/2 turns in and fast at 3 1/2 turns out then turn in till at half position or 2 1/2 turns. This will give you a rough position to play with, you can still go up or down to fine tune but don't go more than half a turn either way good luck.

Old 12-02-2002, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

I am at approximatly 1000ft. I have an HMF silencer, (no Quiet core), dyno jet kit 4th notch on needls 132/136 jets air screws at approximatley 3 1/2 turns with 12 3/8in holes in the air box with the bigger snorkle. Mine runs like a champ. I have no hesitation and can pull 67mph. And it gets there very fast. I used the holes in my airbox lid to dial the jetting in to a tea. She'll rip my arms out. And it will pull 64mph in the quarter mile. Stock was about 54-56. Because of the p650's CDI it is a major pain to get it right but when yah do its worth it.