Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Progressive Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive Springs

Well I finally got the Progressives installed. Not sure if I got it right though & would appreciate some suggestions.

The first thing that I noticed was that when the springs are adjusted at the same height, the left side of the quad is about half an inch higher than the right side. I'm basing this on the distance from the bottom of the strut cover to the bottom of the spring. It also has a slight pull. I was hoping that it would settle in after a day of riding but it didn't & is still about half an inch off. Is this normal? Should I just use the pretensioner to even them out?

I have about 3/4 of an inch of thread showing on the bottom of the spring tensioner & my quad is riding bulldog (front is slightly higher). Has this happend to anyone else? Personally I don't care for it & am hoping that I can adjust the front down some.

Lastly- the springs work great! They really push off of jumps & keep the front end up. Before installing the Progressives I wasn't able to launch nearly as well. I do have one concern in this area as well. It seems that the springs are rebounding so hard that while I'm in the air I can feel the springs slamming the strut against the stop (fully extended). Is this ok?

Am I hosed or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2003, 10:36 AM
Range Rover

Mine springs are perfect and I'm not experiencing any of the problems you mentioned. Is there a chance that something didn't seat properly when you put them together? You did notice that there is a top and a bottom to the springs? It sounds like one of the springs may be upside down or for some other reason not seated properly on the strut body.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

The springs did raise my front end just slightly but it wasn't a problem. I have mine adjusted about half way on the adjuster and they really do a nice job for me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2003, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Mine were level and work great. I haven't jumped it yet to see if the rebound is harsh, though.

Old 01-12-2003, 11:31 AM
Range Rover

Has anybody tried the springs with a highlifter lift kit on yet????? If so does it work? My dealer did not recommend doing it but maybe someone on the forum has had success with it. My front end really sags with my snow plow on, needs springs or something!

Old 01-12-2003, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

Partsman2- Everything seemed to go back together well. No gaps, misfits or extra parts. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
With the adjuster set at about half way, how much thread is showing below the lock nuts? At rest, how far from the bottom of the shock cover to the top of the lower spring brace (the brace that holds the springs up, not the lower part of the spring that you lock down with allen screws)? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get a comparison. It sounds like I may have one upside down. Hopefully it's the taller of the two. I'll take a diameter measurement later today to find out.

Old 01-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Goggle

Did you put the spring all the down in the bottom of the shock bracket sometimes it doesn't go all the way down and will stick up slightly. By putting in a different bolt in the bottom shock mount you can lift the shocks by 3/4 in's.

Old 01-13-2003, 06:39 AM
Pro Rider

Mine are fine when I installed them and the rebound isn't harsh when you land either when you jump it.

Old 01-13-2003, 07:40 AM
Range Rover

goggleyed

I didn't actually go out and measure this but I think it is around 3/4" of thread below the nut that the spring sits on. I know at the time I set them I ran that nut about half way down on both sides as a starting point and liked the setting out of the gate and haven't messed with it. I did not get the other measurement you asked for either. I will get these tonight and let you know. alltoys brought up a good point about whether or not you got the strut seated in the lower strut mount or not. However, you would not be able to insert the stock bottom bolt unless the strut is all the way in and lined up with the groove. I guess that some how the strut could be sitting on top of the bolt not letting it drop all the way down. You also want to make sure the springs are actually resting on the top lock nut. If you installed one upside down it would not fit over the strut properly and would be sitting on the strut body instead of the adjuster nut. If everything is installed right and the adjusters are the same setting on both sides the atv should sit level. I also don't get the slamming while jumping that you referred to which makes me think something is not installed right.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2003, 10:03 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll tear into it this week. I really didn't want to have to pull everything apart again. ;(

Old 01-14-2003, 08:01 AM
Range Rover

goggleyed

From the bottom of the plastic spring guard to the top of the lower strut mount is 61/8". This is this same on both sides. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Progressive Springs