Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Tires for High Speed Riding on Prairie 650

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for High Speed Riding on Prairie 650

There has been several post in the past concerning tires for the P650 to replace the stock tires. What I'm looking for is tires designed for hardpack fire roads at high speeds. I have Holeshot's on my Raptor and would like the same performance type tire on my P650 6 months out of the year, the other six months I run Bear Claws. The tires I'm looking for will provide nice controlled power slides in the corners without laying down and be in the 25 inch size. I've heard several people post about the new radial Holeshot ATR tire but no one comments about it's high-speed handling characteristics (sliding in corners). I would like to stick with a 6 ply tire in order to limit punctures from rocks. I appreciate your help.

Old 01-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Range Rover

Just got new Prairie with ATR's on it, Haven't been able to ride it except in snow, but from what I have read here and other places
This has to be the tire of choice for high speed handling and ride. About 4 lbs per tire heavier than the stockers and 6 ply too.
Don't think you can go wrong!

Old 01-25-2003, 02:15 PM
Range Rover

Get the ATR's! You won't be disappointed

Old 01-25-2003, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

bartman, how do the bearclaws compare to stock tires in terms of ride and handling? what size did you get?

Old 01-26-2003, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

ATR,s I think they made them for the 650. I will put them back on right after spring breakup.

Old 01-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

WVBartMan

If 3TV doesn`t reply try PMing him. He has the ATR`s on a G660 and does some fast riding in the desert with them and should be able to give you a good opinion. HTH

Old 01-27-2003, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

Lightman: I have the 25 inch Bear Claws. The Bear Claws are a great all around tire. They handle well in the corners, clean there self well in the snow and can handle some minor mud. The 6 ply gives them a stiffer ride than stock but are well worth it. If I had one tire to put on the 650 for the type of riding we do, it would be the Bear Claw. My plan is to use the Bear Claw for winter riding and another tire mounted on ITP C Series Aluminum Wheels for summer riding. I really like the sound of the ATR tires, everyone's comments have been positive. My only concern with the ATR's was the high speed cornering. On most radial tires they tend to lay down (roll-over) in a corner compared to the stiff side wall bias ply tires, thus making it harder to power slide the backend in the corner. It sounds like the ATR's maintain their profile in the corner and will stand up to excessive pressure put on it by the 650 sliding in a curve. Are there any negatives about the ATR's?

Old 01-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

WVBartMan: I have yet to find someone that rides hard that has a set of the ATR tires. I know people that have them but they ride slow and probably wouldn't understand what you were talking about the tire rolling over or laying down. It would be nice to hear how they compare to a regualr holeshot tire in the corner. Maybe someone has Holeshot's phone number and we can talk to the tech rep about it.

Old 01-28-2003, 12:11 PM
Trailblazer

Lobo: Thanks for the help. As you can tell I'm trying to make my 650 perform at high speeds in the corners on hard pack and it sounds like the ATR's will stand up to tire roll. The ATR's also sound like they will improve the ride of the bike by soaking up some of the bumps. The Bear Claws are a little stiff compared to stock tires so the ATR's should bring the smoothness of the ride back to the stock condition. Any other comments about the ATR's would be appreciated.

Old 01-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard nothing but good regarding the ATR's, and plan on buying a set in the spring. I am hoping they'll come out with 26" ones soon. I don't think you'll be sorry using the ATR. Go for it!
I have been using the Maxxis Shur-Trac on the rear of mine. Good traction, ride, and broadsliding abilities. The down side is that they are 2 ply. I ride much the same terrain you do, and have NOT had a problem. One flat due to a thorn, over on Miller's Creek.

Quick Reply: Tires for High Speed Riding on Prairie 650