Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Busted strut parts-------DOH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted strut parts-------DOH!!!

I had my plow on, and had some rubber spring spacers on the front struts to keep the front end from bottoming out. You have to use a pair of the front spring coil spacers per strut, which I did. However, one of the spacers flew off, leaving only one of the spring spacers on the left front strut. As the spring compressed, the one side of the spring was being held firm by the spring spacer while the other side was compressing like normal. This caused the spring to collapse at an angle. The clip that holds the plastic spring cover in place bent, and with the repeated up and down movement of the suspension, it TOTALLED the small clip and the plastic cover.

No big deal, I'll get some parts. Went to my local Kawie dealer and told him what I needed. He told me I would have to order a complete strut assembly. WRONG!!!!!! No damn way I'm buying a complete strut for $20 worth of parts. Anyways, I now have shiny new ALUMINUM spring covers and custom made spring seat stopper clips via Mastrblastr Machining!!!LOL!! Put everything together today and it looks great.

Thought I'd let you guys know that if you screw up any of your front strut parts, YOU CAN"T GET REPLACEMENTS. You gotta buy a whole strut assembly. What kind of crap is that???

Old 01-26-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted strut parts-------DOH!!!

I found that out when replacing my front struts under warranty. The mechanic and I robbed the spring covers, clips and top joint assemblies off the old struts before sending them back to Kawi. They didn't say anything so I guess we get to keep them.