Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Old man winter got my battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old man winter got my battery

Well
I went outside to go for a ride and the 650 which I keep outside said no ride tonight so I brought my battery in for the night and I might be able to go for a ride in the moring. This is the first day I could not get it going. I just had my battery replaced too.

the radio just said it is -22 with a wind chill of -35. I think I'll take my 650 to Florida in the morning if it will not start.

Old 02-16-2003, 12:03 AM
Range Rover

Did you forget that you had a pull start!

Old 02-16-2003, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

kawi 650
You probably have a drain on your battery that keeps it from getting fully charged or its draining when not in use. when a battery drains down, the acid goes into the plates leaving the water behind this is a discharged battery. check to see if there is a drain at post connections, Thaw the battery out, charge on high untill the battery is about 80 deg f. then charge on low untill fully charged , probably about 6 hrs. A dead battery is a pain in the @$$. With the weather you guys are getting i wouldnt want to try the old pull starter trick.

Old 02-16-2003, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Jason that's just plain mean, making your quad stay out in the cold!! -22, man that's a b*tch. I guess I'm lucky enough to have a spot in the garage for mine.

You might think about getting a Battery Tender and just leave it on all the time. They are pretty inexpensive and work great. I leave mine on my street bike all winter. Battery is fully charged, so it can't freeze. Take it off, start it up, ride away!

Old 02-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Kawi650, I think Roscoe is right. There has to be a drain on your battery somewhere. Tell your wife it's the CDI that's draining your battery and you have to get the one from 3cub-boy to fix it!!!!!! You never know------it might work!!!

Old 02-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer

Is that all, geesh, i tried to leave for halifax this morning from Bear River to go to work, and when i started my car the battery light stayed on, i figured ok as long as the car is running should be no problem, anyways I got about 20km from home and the car died, it's 5:45am no traffic on the 101 and here i am sitting in a car freezing. Two f*cking cars passed by with me. I tried waving them down, the f*ckers passed right on by, I swear if i had had a shotgun in the car I would have fired at them. eventually a truck stopped and he stayed with me for a bit and let me use his phone to call home. I though it was my battery, but after getting the car home (it would drive about 2 - 3 km then die) i swapped batteries with my wife's car and did the same, so I guess my alternator is fried. I honestly can't remember the weather being this cold since I have lived in this area (Nova Scotia) Even had trouble turning my 650 over yesterday, better warm up soon, that's all I can say. Anyways I am taking my shotgun and a box of shells and heading out to the 101 and wait for those two car to return, i got their license plate. later [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2003, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

Last winter my 400 was going through batteries too. Took a while to find a loose connector from the alternator, wasnt charging unless it was at a stop, wouldnt even run right when pull started. Might be something to check since mine came from the factory that way.

Old 02-17-2003, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

mastrblastr...Great idea. Have you heard any updates on the CDI from "3cub-boy"? Better answer quick, before this gets locked down.

Old 02-17-2003, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

Haven't heard a thing, but Alltoys might know something.

Old 02-17-2003, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

blair
Yeah there is nothing like standing beside a car on the 101 with a -20 temterature and a gail force wind
to make you feel good about your fellow commuters. You would think that they would give a helping hand, someday it will be them in the same sort of problem, must be hondas owners.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Old man winter got my battery