Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mounted Holeshot ATR Tires Today---Problems !

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounted Holeshot ATR Tires Today---Problems !

Jeff fox, I use out of round tires too. No worrys, no wobbles, no shakes.

Bottom line:

Wobble, use a bubble balancer with stick on lead weigths (unless the tire store can help). Front ones probably only need it.
Steering Jerk, set the alignment to 0 to 1/16" Toe in. The spec is too big, and you can get steering jerk from too much toe.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

Lightman: The ATR's are perfect in every way for the type of riding I do. The problem I have is the Prairie is handling so well with the new ATR's and with the new CDI box coming out I will find more reasons to ride the Prairie over the Raptor. Now before any Raptor owners start giving me grief let me explain. Here in WV some of our trails we like to ride never dry up, they stay muddy all year long. When I go riding my buddies ride their P650 and I ride the Raptor. They ride with shorts and no shirts and at the end of the day their not even dirty, me on the other hand, I'm soaked to the bone with pond scum water with about 6 inches of mud covering me head to toe and smell like $hit. As I get a little older (40+), I have to admit I would like to eat inside the air conditioned restaurant where my buddies on the P650 get to at lunch time. Instead I'm forced to eat in the parking lot because of my filth, what's up with that? Why do they discriminate against Raptor owners? Anyway, I love the bike and the ATR's, thanks for the advise Lightman.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info.......... I think I will take a chance and if they do shake I will put the stock tires back on because Itp seems to be fair to deal with when there is a problem.

Thanks again

Mark

Old 03-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

UPDATE:

I mounted 4 new ATR's today. I came home and the first thing I did was run the quad while still on the jackstands. The backs are real bad and one of the fronts is bad. So out of 8 tires one is acceptable. The rest are not. For the backs they are all seriously out of round. The fronts were also, but not as bad. I am considering giving the tires back and remounting the Mudrunners. The Mudrunners are perfect to top speed. I am very disapointed. I think the ATR's are a decent tread design, but I will not accept these tires since they make my quad ride terrible.

Old 03-05-2003, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

thats crazy, mine are fabulous. I rode yesterday, and specifically paid attention to the amount of steering wobble, etc. I rode on sand and hardpack and a bit on concrete. The only wobble i have whatsoever is at exactly 30mph on concrete, the steering starts to shake a bit. Never do I get any tire type vibration, like a car that has a wheel out of balance. Anyway, the quad is at the dealership right now, getting the black spring installed and belt deflection set, and they are going to reset the toe-in 1/16" like nyroc suggested to cure the steering wobble. We'll see how that goes, but despite the wobble, I rarely ride on anything as hard as concrete. The tires handle incredibly and ride so smoothly on everything I've thrown at them (except deep mud), that even with the wobble i'd buy them again. They bite into the trail and grip a lot more than stock, but you can still power slide it around a corner with enough throttle. I'll post an update after my toe-in has been set.

Old 03-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

This may sound funny to you all, but a tire store told me that a manufacturer will send the more oblong, oval tires to a vendor that sells them for less. If it is true, it would explain why some people get such wobblers and some don't.

I have one wobbler and three straight tires.

Old 03-05-2003, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

I've talked to other vendors recently that offer tires and EVERY one told me that ITP has had quality control issue for years. Clearly, if a business that wants to produce and sell as much product as possible then it should not reduce it's potential sales by allowing inferior stock to leave the plant. This is not rocket science. They are only hurting themselves as the word spreads. It's nice that they at least offer to send out new product, but that only helps so much when you have a bunch of major vendors around the country bad mouthing the product based on experiences they have had with large numbers of customers. Their loss. I'll keep you guys posted with further developments.

Old 03-05-2003, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I didn't really think that made sense when I heard it. I thought it was tire store salesman crap.

It is probably just the luck of the draw. There are bad apples out there. some don't get any, and some get a one or more severely out of round or heavy on one side tires.

Of all the tires, I have heard of more quality complaints about ITP's products that any other brand.

Old 03-05-2003, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer

Well I've been told by others that you gotta get rid of those stock tires and get some good rubber, I took my 650 out for a drive this afternoon with the new 26" mudlites and feeling invincible i decided to venture into some wet snow, about 1' deep more in some place, I left a driveway and went downhill got about 50 feet, and dug myself down to the ground. (-: took me an hour to dig myself back out the 50 feet. I had a chance to try these tires out with a nice run on dirt road and pavement, they're nice, quite smooth for an agressive tire, no wobbles, just thread vibration until you gain speed then it goes away. As long as the sidewall doesn't blow out, i am pleased with them.

Old 03-05-2003, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

I too have heard more quality complaints about ITP than other brands, but I've also heard about more people buying and using ITP tires more than other brands as well.... I think its partly a percentage thing. Sorry to hear about your bad luck Jeff.

Quick Reply: Mounted Holeshot ATR Tires Today---Problems !