Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Rode a 650 yesterday..BIG MISTAKE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rode a 650 yesterday..BIG MISTAKE!

Well with the 0% offer I got the nerve up to finally go to the dealer and ask to ride a 650.This guy is a Honda/Kaw dealer.All he had was a leftover camo 02.I asked if I could ride it and they said just keep it out of the mud.Well I all have read is true........the straight line power was unreal.One thing I noticed diff from my Kodiak was the lower amount of vibration and it seemed quieter.As far as the steering I honestly could not tell much.I guess it looks like I will be taking my beloved Kodiak down to see how bad it will hurt to trade.This guy was trying to switch me to the rincon basically because he hates belt drives.I explained in the 3 years of owning the Yamaha I nor anybody I ride with has had one prob with a belt.I have to be honest though........there is never a post about belt problems it seems in the Yamaha forum.......just (how fast will a Raptor go?? ) LOL
I m hoping since it is a leftover 02 he may want to move it.Is the 02 the one that had the choke cable problem??
2000 Kodiak[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Range Rover

Kodiac1

I have both the Prairie and the Kodiak...like them both...but the prairie is a best when unleashed. I believe the cable problem was among the early released versions and the one your looking at shouldnt be one of those. I would recommend to you as part of the deal you have the dealer install the black secondary clutch spring when he sets it up...you may not have a belt problem as sum have not...but my belt come loose from the factory and I encountered it immediately...the black spring helps to eliminate problem. It is a $20 part and well worth it.

You cant go wrong with the P650 as it is a very versatile and well built machine...oh yea, that V-Twin just screams too.

Old 03-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

yes i have a 02 650 and i have had the choke replaced
the good thing is it was done under warranty
love my 650 but i seem to be having some problems again and think it may be the choke again
you will definetly be very pleased with it even with this problem

Old 03-26-2003, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

littlecanuck,

Did they change the springs when they did your choke repair or just replace the cables. I had mine done a year ago and have never had a problem since.

Old 03-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

What price did the dealer quote on the Camo one?. You can find '02s(non-Camo) for $5999.00 in the midwest.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guys! Not trying to knock a 650 because they haul a$$, but two guys in my hunting club have had to replace their belts twice on their 650s. After two belts one of the guy's belt still squeals when he gets ready to take off. Another thing that they disliked was the stock tires. One of those guys is also a farmer. When he rode his a around one of his cut cotton fields the stubbels punchered two of his tires, so he bought some beefier tires. Just my $0.02. It doesn't matter to me what you ride as long as you ride.

dbass

Old 03-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

dbass,

It's no secret that the factory tires aren't much. You'll find that it's the first thing that most guys replace. On the belt issue, tell the guys in your club to make sure to have their belt deflection checked. If they are going through belts that fast and it's still squealing then it's probably over spec. If the dealer can't solve this minor issue then maybe they need to look for a new dealer. Also, while they are at it get them to install the black secondary spring, minor cost with the benefit of extended belt life.

Old 03-26-2003, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

Scotia650,
thanks for the tip. I'll tell the guys this weekend.

dbass

Old 03-26-2003, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Well the dealer will trade for $2300.00 diff.That is for an 02 camo version.I had just put 489's on the Kodiak and he said I could keep them.They are not the greatest but they are a hell of alot better than the dunflops...........I feel the deal is pretty fair......anybody ...anybody? LOL

Old 03-26-2003, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure about the price since I'm in Canada. So it's hard to know if it's a good deal. But I know you picked the right color LOL!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Rode a 650 yesterday..BIG MISTAKE!