Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

02 to 03 Prairie Filter conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 to 03 Prairie Filter conversion

I bought an 03 airbox for my 02 Prairie (I also got the twinair). The box, seals, and stuff to do it cost me just under $100. I haven't had time to ride it yet and tell you all what the diff is. My quad transportation is out of commission, and I don't have any money to fix it so I can't test it this weekend either .[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] I did drive it around the parking lot, and it seemed to scoot along extremely well, but I really couldn't tell in the short time I rode (fear of neighbors calling police). I don't really get a good feel for my 650's power until I get it on the trail.

However, I am not totally satisfied with the construction of the 03 airbox and filter.
-Those rubber o-rings that seal the filter braket to the bottom of the airbox aren't the most positive seal in the world.
-The the bottom of the filter cage doesn't exactly fit snug against the thick o-ring that seal that it sits on.
-The filter just sortof sits on the cage. There isn't anything other than a teeny bit of circumferential tension holding that filter on it's cage. It looks like severe leak posibilities. A good fitting twin air on an 02 airbox would be the safest, IMO.

FYI, there is no way to convert the 02 lid or main box to use the 03 filter. the lid has different clip positions, the box has a lip in the bottom that the filter bracket seals against.

FYI #2 the stacks are smaller on the 03 than the 02. You probably could use the 02 stacks, they would just have to squeeze over a little when the filter is installed.

FYI #3 the 03 airbox is a heck of a lot harder to get the hoses on and off (diaphram hose and crank breather) than the 02 was. I realize that if you get the hose on before you screw the airbox down it may be a bit easier. The diaphram hose is too close to the carb for me to push it on easily. The crankcase hose is sunken back too close to the carb for me to put it on easily too.

Someone please convince me that the 03 airbox design will keep dirt out of my engine. My K&N (with grease around the edges) kept the inside of the airbox spotless. I checked many times with a white tissue. No dirt. Nada.

Besides my griping about the 03 airbox, I just wanted to say something since the forum topics just aren't that interesting to me today.

Old 04-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Ford is in the shop, eh?? hahahaha
Seriously now.... now that you have converted, do you think it will be worth it? Or do you think maybe well enough should be left alone? I'm sure you'll know more once you get a test ride, but so far what's your thoughts of the whole deal. I'm gald some people can explore on their machines and find new ideas for all of us.

Old 04-10-2003, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 03 650, what is supposed to be the advantage of the new air box design vs the old?
More airflow?

Old 04-11-2003, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

I just tore into an 03 to rejet it and pipe it, I liked the filter design at first but the more I thought about it the less I like it. With the 02 filter I can cut holes in the lid above the carbs to get more direct air flow to the stacks. I also agree that the seal doesn't seem to great.

Old 04-11-2003, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Nyroc long time no type, Ive gone to the other side! The full time 2 wheel drive side. I sold my 650 and bought the first VForce in Alaska! just thought I would say Hello and keep up the good work helping all those 650 owners! later. coolintheice AKA coolinthewoods

Old 04-11-2003, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider

Damn roofer, i thought you had your **it together! i thought wrong. must be a chevy owner.

LIKE A ROCK..... to the bottom of the mudhole!!

Old 04-11-2003, 07:15 AM
Pro Rider

The ford actually got sold due to financial constraints and I am truckless. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] That ford was an excellent truck, and it is the vehicle that was hardest to see go. If I ever get a better job, I am going straight to the ford dealer to get another awesome truck like that (well, a newer one with leather seats and an extra cab). Too bad there isn't an american atv manufacturer that. I know ford has made some crappy cars. But, their trucks are tops. They are much higher rated than chevy in reliability and customer satisfaction.

I had plans to get a van, then a truck, then a beater car with a v6. Somehow, there is no money left for that now. I haven't made this small of a salary in 8 years.

I may just get a hitch and make a teeny trailer and tow the 650 around with this dinky one wheel drive econobox I have. It says it can tow 1000 lbs. Not sure I fully believe that. I will do that after I sell my lawn tactors.

Old 04-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: scootdog
Damn roofer, i thought you had your **it together! i thought wrong. must be a chevy owner.

LIKE A ROCK..... to the bottom of the mudhole!!

LOL scootdog,you must have been reading my mind. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ford..GOOD
Chevy ...BAD

Andy

Old 04-11-2003, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

ahhhh...How come the Silverado/Sierra series outsold the entire F-series last year?????

Don't get me started. hehe [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

That is actually not true in the US. The stats aren't out yet here for that. The stat you probably saw was canadian.

The F series is outselling it's GM equivalent this year by a handy margin, like it has done for the past 22 or so years. The sierra has made gains against Ford since it's redesign, but after ford's nest redesign the sierra sales will plumet.

According to the news, the newest ford engine has

More horespower than Chevy's (and dodge) equivalent engine
More torque than chevy (and dodge) across the ENTIRE powerband.
Smoother running
Better Fuel economy

Add to that the better reliability that Ford trucks enjoy over chevy and I think the decision is a no brainer.

Quick Reply: 02 to 03 Prairie Filter conversion