Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 low gear problem/questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 low gear problem/questions

First off, I would like to say to everyone on the forum, that you guys are great. I have been reading posts for quite some time now, probably since I first bought my prarie in early 2002. I recently registered because I felt that perhaps I could finally start to contribute to the discussion board. I'll be the first to say that when I first purchased my prairie I didnt have the first clue about it. However, I did want want to do all of my own work on the bike because then you know what needs to be done is being done. I may have a slight distrust in dealers but I'm sure others feel the same. Besides, you get a personal satisfaction out of knowing you did it yourself. Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is that without this forum, and without all of you, I would have been headed to the dealer and not have been able to do anything myself. So Thanks to everyone. I can go on and on....Anyway

question: Is there a limit on how fast you can go in low gear? Before reading Nyroc's "belt life" tips, I rarely used low gear, and when I did I probably did not go over 15 mph. I have noticed that when I go over 20 in low it seems to make a noise clunk clank, and it appears to be coming from the belt housing (secondary clutch area) or rear drive shaft area. I dont think that there is a problem in the shaft because it does not do it in high gear. I have adjusted the deflection and have replaced the OEM spring with the "black" spring but it still makes the noise, before deflection adjustment and after. Could the belt still be slipping, it is tight and does squeel when you come to a stop in gear. Could the engine be producing too much tourqe for the belt thus causing it to slip, this has puzzeled me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum,

There is a lot of great infro here, but sometimes if hard to find a problem by just listening to an explanation.

In your case, I think that your shifting linkage is out of adjustment. That clanking sound might be gears slipping by each other in low. Those gears are located just inside your trans case down by the secondary clutch. This happen to me, so it might be your problem.

Go to Nyroc site, I think he has adjustment information.

You should be able to go up to 40 MPH in low.

Just a guess. let me know how you make out.

Old 04-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

I think shotgun's thought is right on. We recently had the same problem on one of our 650s. Adjusted the linkage as per nyroc's info, problem gone. Let us know how you make out.

Old 04-13-2003, 03:23 AM
Trailblazer

After thinking about what you guys said and then taking a look at nyroc's site, I think you hit the nail on the head, I will make the adjustment after I wake up in the morning and let you guys know, but after thinking about it, I think you guys are dead on....

thanks, ill keep u posted