Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

anyone running black/orange spring combo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone running black/orange spring combo?

Hi, I am new to the forum, a friend told me about it, great info I think I will stay up all night reading this and learning more about my bike.

I have 26 " bear claws and want to get some clutch springs for the tranny. I ride mostly wooded trails and sometimes steep hills with a little mud.

Not sure about which combo I know they make black, red and orange springs.

Also do any of these springs mess up your engine braking ability??

Thanks,

Old 04-13-2003, 03:24 AM
Range Rover

The black spring goes in the secondary pulley, which doesn't affect rpm engagement or engine braking. It's a must have.

The red or orange springs go in the primary pulley, they increase RPM engagement, similiar to a stall convertor in a car/truck. I have the red/black combo in mine and feel that it is ok, but I think I want something harsher than the red spring. I think I may go with the orange spring in the primary.

So people will swear up and down the red spring is very harsh, but I don't think it is at all. You might not want it if you do severely technical riding such as rock climbing where you need to move 2 inches at a time.

I haven't noticed it affecting my engine braking, so in my opinion the red spring hasn't affected mine. Some claim it affected theirs.

I'm a 99% mud rider, so these springs are great for me.

Old 04-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

P650rider,

I have the red/black combo installed in mine. I also do not find the engagement harsh at all. However, my kit came with the orange spring as an option and we tried it in another 650 to compare. The engagement is around 300 rpm higher than the red spring, the lag is quite noticable and it is quite abrupt when it hooks up. This might be good for larger tires when playing in the mud/snow but I think it would be quite tiresome for trail riding. Also, I can't see this being too good for belt life because of the harsher engagement. We took the spring back off and he is now using a stock front with 27" 589s.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

Nemmeh,

I have the orange spring that I'm not using and your looking to move up from the red. Interested in a swap?

Old 04-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

I have been running the EPI black/orange combo for abouta month now. Yes the orange spring causes abrupt clutch engagement if you ride it like you stole it.......but it will come on smoothly if you give it throttle slow and easy. Gotta love the way it hits when you want it to.
Just my seven cents worth (that's two cents U.S. )