Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prarie 400 4x4 or Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2000, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a tough time making a decision here.. I am debating between a Kodiak and a Prarie 400 4x4, both of which will cost me $5,500 (exactly). I realize the Kodiak comes with 2 nice options (EBS, 2wd/4wd) but the Prarie felt like it was a slightly more pleasing ride, although its hard to tell when you ride it around in a little circle. I will be doing Lots of mud and water on Long excursions, so gas mileage is an interest to me. What kind of mileage on a Prarie? Just would like your input on what one u would go with.. Will be riding with approximately 5 Sportsman 500's.

Old 04-28-2000, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2000 Kodiak and I can tell you that the ebs and 2wd/4wd are well worth any kind of advantage that the Kaw has over the Kodiak in ride. I tested these 2 quads also and I liked the smaller package that the Kodiak comes in. As for fuel mileage, you can ride all day on one tank full of fuel. I liked both of these rides, but you can tell which one I decided on. Good luck and remember, you ride the quad dont let it ride you.

Old 04-30-2000, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

KKKKOOOODDDIIIAAAKKKK
^^(Kodiak)^^

Old 04-30-2000, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

i'd take the kodiak between these two because of the EBS. i don't care what anyone says, going down a steep hill on an auto without an EBS is downright scarry!!!!!!!

if ya haven't already check out the rancher. it's not as quick as these two quads but a much better value. (my opinion)

or if ya want something quicker and much better in the mud check out the polaris mag500. a little mor $$$ and higher maintance but Polaris is getting better.

just tryin to broadin the horizons
cart

Old 04-30-2000, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

After researching and riding both machines, I rode away on the Prairie and never looked back.

Old 05-04-2000, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

I own a 97 Prairie that I bought new. If you ride a lot full time 4wd wears out front tires, fast. If you look in the owners manual Kawasaki says that the belt needs adjusting monthly by the dealer. I just spent $800 repairing my KAPS transmission (tranny pulleys made of soft unhardened aluminum bonded to a steel shaft. Poor design!) and $100 to repair the worn out rear drum brakes ( 2nd time in 30 months). Kodiak has a better designed non slip belt tranny and disc rear brakes. I USED TO LIKE KAWASAKI, now I have a $6000 great riding, pile of junk. Unless you have deep pockets stay away from the Prairie!!

Old 05-08-2000, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a 2000 prairie 400 4x4 and I think its a great machine. I did a lot of research on them before I bought, and I'm glad. I have not had a single problem with it. I'm not exactly sure on the mpg but I was extremely surprised when I got it on how good the gas milage was. I have rode other machines and one thing I love about the prairie is the great ride, it is extremely compfortable. I can asure you that you will not be dissapointed with a prairie. I can not say anything bad about the kodiak because I have never ridden or even seen one.I am very glad that I bought my prairie. good luck, and I hope your pleased with whatever you get.

c-ya cliffhangin

Old 05-12-2000, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 97 Prairie. I don't have high mileage on mine, but I certainly haven't had anything to complain about so far. Oldman55's trouble with his torque converter is the first one that I've heard of. I haven't heard that it is a common problem. The 2000 model has an updated and simpler converter, which is supposed to be more reliable with less moving parts, so it should be good. My dealer told me that converters and belts have not been a problem with the Prairie. Mine works great. I don't know of anyone else with a Prairie that has had a lot of problems. It is a great machine for comfortable long rides, and especially nice if you are carrying a passenger (very long seat). The only negative thing I heard about the new Kodiak is a leaking water pump. There were several people on the forum complaining of that, but that was a couple of months ago. Maybe Yamaha has addressed the problem.
Good luck with your choice. If you possibly can, see if you can try each one out for an hour or two in the same place. If the dealer wants to sell his machine it shouldn't be a problem. Tell each dealer what you are doing. Then you'll know which one suits you best. Reading specifications and listening to everyone else etc. aren't the same as riding and judging for yourself. They are both good but very different machines.

Old 05-12-2000, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider

Whats so scary about it? Without ebs you still have 3ways to get down the hill.

1st use the brakes.

2nd put it in low range to crawl down.

3nd hang on tight!

Old 05-12-2000, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

usually ends up being choice number 3