Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATR VS Bighorns

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATR VS Bighorns

Any updates on the bighorns or ATRs? Looking for a good trail, I had 25" mudlites before and I did not like them. I have outlaws for the mud.

EDIT: I also ride alot of snow so thats important to me, I'm thinking ATRs.

Old 09-27-2003, 07:26 AM
Range Rover
Default ATR VS Bighorns

I have a set and they are great for handleing and they grab very good . They even make it steer like it has power steering . The baer claws I had before made it steer like truck. The only draw back is I have to run about 5 and a half lbs. of air in them so I wont get flats, I had 4lbs. in the first time and I got a whole in my sidewall. It rode great though,and even with 5 and a half lbs. in they still ride better than the claws at 4 and a half. I must say that I ride in alot of rocks and I do go a little fast also. But that is why I got a 6ply tire, they rate the ATRs a 6ply but to me they only seem like a 4ply at best mabe a 3ply.

Old 09-27-2003, 09:53 AM
Range Rover
Default ATR VS Bighorns

nyroc, do you plan on making these tires your all-season tire? I don't get as much snow as you do being as I live on the ocean back east here but I have been following these discussions about the ATR's and Bighorns and I am also looking at these same set of tires for my 650, my major concern is handling the mud and snow...we do get alot of that here during the wet season.

Old 09-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

nyroc, I have run both the ATR's and the All Traks. I have not had the oppertunity to run the Big Horns yet! I have gone to strickly the All Traks, the ATR's were just sold on ebay the other day! I now have 3 sets of All Traks, the oldest being over 2 years and 2000 miles and they still have decent tread. Lets see a set of ATR's last that long under the same punishment these All Traks got! NO WAY!!!!! We still have a set of ATR's on a Rincon with 800 miles on it and the tires are wore over half!
Another thing with my All Traks, I got out the regroover and cut some new tread in the *****! Just like new again! If the Big Horns are anything like the All Traks, I will have a few sets of them also!

Old 09-27-2003, 10:52 AM
Range Rover
Default ATR VS Bighorns

My ATR's have 850 miles of fairly hard riding, mostly rock and dirt, they have worn fast and
At 1200 miles I will need new rear tires, I like the way they ride and handle, but on my next set of tires I will be
looking for longer life, Radial Bighorns maybe.

Old 09-27-2003, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

Prairie Wrench,
Tell me of the ride & handling on the Maxis AllTracks. They should be smoother than the ATRs' but comparible to the Dunlops. Are they. I am interested in the smoothest ride to handling tires. I think they are only 2 ply or rated bias. What psi do you run in them?

Old 09-27-2003, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

Something of interest to me is rolling resistance. I have found 589's to have less rolling resistance than Outlaws plus are 1 pound less in weight of comparible size although Outlaws rule in the mud. Outlaws work great in the mud but take a great deal of power to turn the monsters and top end is nice to have this is where the 589's come into play. It would be interesting if a set of 27inch Bighorns would have the same easy rolling resistance of the 589's, lighter weight in the class of Mud lights, have good mud cleaning caractoristics, and still have good longevity. This would be a good all round tire.

Old 09-28-2003, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

I am still thinking about what tires to get. I do pretty well on my mudrunners, but I would like wider front tires for more floatation and snow performance. I also could use a little better dry traction.

I like ATR's because they are wider than bighorns.

I like bighorns because they are tougher.

ATR's are supposedly better in the snow.

Another guy told me this weekend that for safety reasons I don't want to have quite as much side traction as the ATR's do in front (Mike penland also told me that).

Now that I think about it, I might prefer the radial bighorns over the bias ones even though they are heavier. The radial design probably gives them better traction in the snow.

Oh yea, Prairiewrench, please elaborate more on the All tracs vs. ATR's. Penland used to use All traks and now uses Bighorns. He said the bighorns handle even better, so anything you say about all traks might be useful.

Old 09-28-2003, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

I have seen the negetive side to over kill on side lugs. Mud slings every where! But even worse, in a tight rut or ditch they will try to climb if you hit the wall just right.
As for ATR's, one of the biggest improvments to me over the Dunflops and BearClaws is the 95% absence of Bump Steer. It has only happened twice and I seen it comming. It Was A Deep Rut and I hit it as wrong as one could. The BearClaws were really worse that the Dunflops. Less bump steering is one of the qualities of Radials.
More on the BearClaws. I don't like angle and design of the long lugs. They just seemed to slide when I needed them to grab. They are good as Mud impellers though. They are rough riding tires. so much so that they will run Flat.

Old 09-28-2003, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

NO tire is perfect for everything but as of right now, I wouldnt trade my ATRs for any tire made.

Quick Reply: ATR VS Bighorns