Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 had a problem today, please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 10:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P650 had a problem today, please advise.

I went on my first long ride today on my P650 which I have had a couple of months. We covered 72 miles and had a good time However, I had a problem with my bike which is worrying me a little bit.

Two times on the ride we went wide open. Both times I topped out at 62, and the bike started making a sucking sort of sound and hesitating, brieftly for a couple of seconds and blue smoke came out the tail pipe at the same time. However, after the hesitation and slowing down a little it ran fine. The first time this happened my friend saw the smoke and we thought I had blew the bike up. But I rode about 40 more miles and it ran perfect with no smoke or other problems, except for the second time that I held it wide open when it did the exact same thing more blue smoke.

Also I was riding with a friend who has a bone stock P650 and he blew me away. He was toping at 66 and passed me like I was sitting still when I was at full throttle. my bike probably outweighs his by 60 lbs, but I have mods and he does not. My bike still feels good like it has plenty of power, I still outran a 600 polaris that was with us no problem, but he was significantly faster than me, both in top end and acceleration.

Realted question: what does the oil drain in the upper right hand corner of the airbox do exactly? and why do they have oil draning into the box? Why can't I disconnect it and the oil drain down on the ground? and then plug the airbox hole. I had some oil in the box today out of that hole and I think that's part of my problem.

Also I have homemade napa snorkle and univents in the plastic piece under the handle bars. Could I be getting too much air? I have 142/145 jets and a drilled pipe.

Also do you think this oil burning through the exhaust or whatever my problem today was could have done permanent engine damage?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Sorry for so many questions. I am just a little concered about my baby.

Old 05-04-2003, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

Check the air filter first,it could be dirty and making it draw air through the engine breather tube and check to see if the snorkle tube is blocked.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Range Rover

the filter, a K+N, I cleaned the night before the ride. However it was very dusty today, and the filter got totally filthy by midway through the ride.

What excatly does that engine breathing tube do. Isn't it just like an overflow or something.

I really wanna take that tube out of the airbox. cut it off a bit and let it drain out the bottom of the bike. I will put silcone or something in the airbox hole to cover it up. Would that be a problem. It seems like about every couple of weeks there is a little oil in the airbox, from the airbox sucking it up that tube.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

Double check the oil level in the engine, if it is a little over full it will push the oil out the breather tube into the airbox and will then be sucked into the carbs giving you the burning oil! It is the crankcase breather which vents the pressure that builds up in the engine while it's running.

Old 05-05-2003, 06:29 AM
Range Rover

Is your jetting stock? The bike comes a little lean from the manufacturer, any added air will make it run leaner causing problems similar to what you described. Mine backfires through the carb and definitely loses power throughout the powerband and about 7mph if I add extra air. Rejetting soon. I'm not sure what oil drain you're talking about, the bikes in the garage and it's 4am so I'm not going out to look. It's likely meant to burn fumes from the crankcase instead of venting into the air, cleaner emissions. Your car will have something similar running from one of the valve covers. If you've overfilled it can be pushed up the tube. If it's just slightly overfilled you'll notice more smoke coming out of it. Having it drain onto the ground is a bad idea, if for no other reason than no-one wants oily trails when they're riding.

Old 05-05-2003, 09:19 PM
Range Rover

I would not cut off the breather tube going to the air box I think that mabe that your napa tube is either blocked somewhere at the end buy that rubber flap located at the end of the tube, take off the cover for the radiator cap up front and check to see if the breather tube is clear, or if it is not getting pinched shut, because if the motor can't breath it will pull oil up from the engine.

Old 05-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem this weekend. Going wide open engine shuts off, smoke belching out of exhaust.
After having it happen several times I realizied it was overheating (Hard to see flashing temp indicator
on LCD) and the computer was shutting the engine down.

Found the problem to be a pin hole in the top rear of the radiator.

Old 05-06-2003, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

My napa snorkle is not getting pinched or anything. Also I have uni vents cut in the plastic cover in front of the snorkle, I think its getting plenty of air. I have also adjusted my air mixture screws by letting the bike idle and turning them to the correct setting.

My jetting is 142/145.

The oil level indicator shows engine oil level is within the proper range and not over filled.

The engine breathing tube also does not appear to be pinched or anything like that. I just can't figure out what is causing the problem. My engine does not turn off completely, it just sorta briefily cuts out then I slow down and its fine. The blue smoke only comes out the moment it cuts out. I have only had this problem at speeds over 60.

Old 05-06-2003, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Been there ... done that .... I think you are sucking oil up the breather tube into the air box. Mine did that
because it was over filled with oil. I took the tube off the bottom of the air box .... pointed it out the side....
at the magic speed ... the oil came blowing out of that hose like it was a fire hose !!!

Old 05-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Prairiewrench and Vforcer... I would bet money that you have too much oil. Had the same problem w/ my P650. Full on the stick is too full! Full for me is actually halfway between add and full. Fill by the manual oil req't/capacity. Don't worry if it shows full on the stick. You will have more power and will not push oil into the airbox. Good luck!

Quick Reply: P650 had a problem today, please advise.