Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Alltoys and everyone else: what does a leak down failure mean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alltoys and everyone else: what does a leak down failure mean?

If mine rings are worn should I notice a lack of power. What I don't get on that too is I can run it and wait until the fan kicks in and shut it off and try to start it and it will not start even 10 seconds after shutting the machine off. Has anyone heard of the term "Dog-gears on a 650?" thoses are the gears that drives the low range and they are a imposible thing to get at and I'm wondering if I should be going there if we are going to tear down the 650. I have the symptom from day one of running in low range and it doesn't slip unless it's at very high RPM.

Old 05-11-2003, 04:04 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe your not getting fuel it almost sounds like that too. Did you try adding fuel to the carbs, ether something else besides what the fuel tank delivers you didn't respond on that idea if it start right away then a bulb should go off.

Do a compression test to determine what pressure you have in your cylinders then do a leak down test as described by Sascach. After you have done this then come back to us so we can delve a little deeper.

TEST FIRST TALK LATER!!!!!

Old 05-14-2003, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

Ok after multi tests of leak down and compression tests of none that was even close to positive and adding gas in carbs etc.. nothings working. We did leak down's the way Sascach discribed and got no different readings. As for leakage.... it's everywheres except in the carbs. Final decision tear the thing apart.... so here she goes and I'll keep you posted on progress as we start digging in the twin. Fuel is not a problem as well with spark or air or gas. And we did as much testing on a intake starter breather tests as we could... nothing there. So from what I understand it is 30 on compression and 98% leak out on leakdown. The leakdown results right from second one (so it wouldn't hold anything).

Old 05-14-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Good luck Jason. We'll all be crossing our fingers for ya. Hope it's nothing major but I guess at this stage it's already serious enough. Keep us posted.