Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Giovanni 110cc no spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giovanni 110cc no spark

Hey guys here's the problem.

Got the ATV running great after putting on the upgraded Mikuni carb, but now no spark. Here's what I tested and the results.

MINI ATV ELECTRICAL RESULTS
STATOR
Pink wire has continuity to ground with key on and key off.
Pink and Yellow wires have .6 ohms of resistance to each other.
Pink and Blue/White have 130.4 ohms of resistance to each other.
Pink and Black/Red have no resistance to each other.
Pink wire has 4.6 volts ac while cranking.

Yellow wire has continuity to ground with key on and key off.
Yellow and Blue/White has 130.4 ohms resistance to each other.
Yellow and Black/Red have no resistance to each other.
Yellow wire has 3.4 volts ac while cranking.

Blue/White wire has 130 OHM’s of resistance to ground with key on and key off.
Blue/White wire has .2 volts ac while cranking.

Black/Red wire has no resistance to ground with key on and has 525 OHM’s resistance to ground with key off.
Black/Red wire has .4 volts as while cranking.

Black/Red and Blue/White have no resistance to each other.

REGULATOR/RECTIFIER
Red wire has 12.4 volts with key on and key off.
Yellow wire has 3.4 volts ac while cranking.
Pink wire has 4.2 volts ac while cranking

IGNITION COIL
Black/Yellow wire has .2 volts ac going to it while cranking.

CDI
Green wire has continuity to ground with key and kill switch on and key and kill switch off.
Black has continuity to ground with key off only.
Red wire has 522 ohms of resistance to ground with key off and kill switch on.
Red wire has no continuity to ground with switch on and kill switch on.
Red wire has 522 ohms of resistance with switch on and kill switch off.
Yellow wire has continuity to ground at all times.
Blue wire has 131 ohms of resistance to ground in all switch configurations.

I think the stator is pooched. The CDI is the upgraded one from GIOBikes.com. I also tried the stock one, same results.
Any thoughts?

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/CUPE44%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You had a link to a picture in your post that didn't come through.

You did a lot of measurements. Good for that! Lets narrow it down:

The regulator and battery charge wires out of the stator have nothing to do with spark. Therefore we can safely ignore them. Out of the stator the only wires that have to do with spark are the AC Ignition Power and the Ignition Trigger (plus ground of course).

I think you have this CDI:

But the wiring diagram shows a two connector CDI, which implies a CDI that looks like this:

Name:  CDI_Pinout.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  27.7 KB

Which CDI do you have?

In your post you have the AC ignition Power wire listed as Black/Red at the stator. This wire connects to the CDI AC Ignition Power pin, yet this is listed at the CDI as a red wire. Could you double check that please? When you specify wire colors, use the wire colors in the main wiring harness, and not the wire colors on the stator pig tail wires.

The stator Ignition Power wire (Blk/red) has "no resistance to ground with key on and has 525 OHM’s resistance to ground with key off". This is not right. Was the CDI disconnected when you did this measurement? It should be. An what do you mean by "no resistance"? That can be taken as zero ohms (a short), or an open circuit (infinite ohms). The resistance at this point to ground (with the CDI disconnected) should be a constant value, with 525 ohms sounding in the ballpark. Please double check that, and if you really are finding that it changes with ignition switch position then we need to look further. And you should be getting 35 volts to 80 volts AC on this pin to ground (CDI disconnected) when cranking the engne.

The trigger pin from the stator Blu/Wht sounds right at 130 ohms. 0.2 volts sounds in the ball park. But this is supposed to be wired to the CDI, yet it is labeled as a "blue" wire there. Wires don't usually change color in the middle of the harness. Check and see if the wire at the CDI is blue/white.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your quick reply LynnEdwards.

The CDI I have looks like the one in the first picture.

Yes the Ignition power wire is Black/Red in the wiring harness, the Resistance to ground is infinite with the CDI unhooked in this wire (when I touch the wire with the red lead from the tester it remains reading 1 no beep) with key on and key off. Cranking volts as is .1 volts on this wire as well with the CDI disconnected.

The Trigger wire is indeed Blue/White and the values are the same as I earlier stated.

I also read the blog that you made reference to. And I also disconnected the Black/White kill switch wire and still no spark.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Electrical Expert

Since the AC Ignition Power pin reads open then you aren't getting power from the ignition power winding in the stator. Find the same wire (bk/red) at the stator and see if it is still open looking into the stator.

Before buying a new stator I would take apart the existing one first. You may find the problem is something simple like an internal wire broken off a terminal which you can solder back on.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

I kinda figured it was the stator. The bike is still under warranty so I will get them to ship a new one and repair the old one for now. Thanks again.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I opened the stator cover up and found that the power coil is not grounded, should it be? The other coil used for charging is.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by medic1dl
I opened the stator cover up and found that the power coil is not grounded, should it be? The other coil used for charging is.
According to the wiring diagram it should be. And according to your lack of voltage coming out, an open wire in the stator would certainly explain it.

Can you see where it is disconnected? If so I would solder it back up and try it.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update:

I received the new Stator today and installed it and away it went. The Ignition coil side of the stator obviously had a broken wire. The mini ATV is still under warranty and GIOBIKES.com has been great about sending new parts (minus the shipping costs of course).

Thanks to LynnEdwards for your input, I was pretty sure the Stator was the culprit and you confirmed it for me...thanks again.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Electrical Expert

Glad you were able to fix it.