Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Compression test is it ok ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Compression test is it ok ?

1984 suzuki 50 cc atv, two stroke. ran a compression check and it is 110 lbs. little history now, got the atv and the gkids rode it for couple months, got to where it wouldnt start . pulled and pulled on The ROPE to get it to start. would run ok with the choke half on so i pulled the carb off , tore it down , had a lot of dirt through out the carb. used carb cleaner , small wire from a bread sack , and compressed air. good as new /used. got it back on the atv and we pulled for hrs on THE ROPE. i set the gas mixture screw back where it was at (2 1/2) turns from seated. idle the same as it was also. i didnt mess with the float adj while i had it apart . fuel line and vac line back in original spots also. inline fuel filter was installed. pulled carb back off and didnt find anything. put it back on and pulled some more on the ROPE. GOT IT TO BACKFIRE ! ok im checking fire at plug , nice blue color, loose conn didnt find any. changed boot on plug wire no change. just for fun i pulled the exhaust loose at cylinder, pulled THE ROPE a few times and she started and ran long enough to set the carb then it ran out of gas. had to mix it w/oil as the oil pump has been blocked off when i got it. now im thinking exhaust system plugged up so we pulled it off and sure enough about a 1/4 of a pint was poured out of the pipe. started it several times and it ran good , till i put pipe back on cylinder. pulled on THE ROPE for a long time trying to get it to pop or anything. pulled pipe back off and had about the same gas /oil mix as before. started the atv again w/pipe off the atv and it ran , kinda. ok im changing plug now , find out it was a bit to small.(j17lm), put ngk (bp4hs) back in it. thought i had figured it out. still dont try to start at all now, even w/pipe off. raw gas mix is coming out the exhaust pipe hole in cylinder w every pull of the ROPE. good thing it didnt start it would have burned for sure. let it set over night ,next morning it starts after 20 pulls or so. but dies before i get it warmed up. wasnt running well by no means. hasnt started since. i am out of ideas.even pulled petcock from tank to find no sock and it was FULL of tank rust. i finally found the problem (i thought). wrong still no start has fuel mix pouring from exhaust every time you pull THE ROPE> like its going right past my new ngk plug. w/o burning the fuel at all. thats y the comp check. so why in the well is the fuel getting by the plug? tried adj carb all ways. nothing works. been working on small eng all my life and by golly i have finally met my match here. can anyone tell me wth is wrong w/this pos ?

Old 05-13-2017, 03:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Take the exhaust off and clean it out. Look up the exhaust port on the cylinder and check that you can see the piston passing a clear passageway. I suspect you have put the gasket on the carb back wrongly and it is keeping the float down, flooding the engine.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exhaust is off and has been cleaned out with fire. this was running prior to my cleaning out the carb. had carb off several times thinking the same as you but each time there is nothing wrong. just bc you think there might be gasket holding float domn i will check again . thanks for reply. passageway is open and clear i thought that too. is 110 lbs enough , i thought two strokes ran a lil higher on comp.?

Old 05-14-2017, 02:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

two strokes are low compression, half the compression stroke is lost because the exhaust port is open. 110psi is fine, I have had LT80s that run (just) at under 50psi. The float set up on an LT50 is odd, with that piece of wire keeping the needle in place, and the tang for height adjustment is easily bent. I had one that would run for two minutes fine then bog, wouldn't re-start for five min, then off again. Turned out to be that tang, only allowing a tiny amount of fuel through. So you started it, used a float chamber full, then took 5 min for the chamber to re-fill.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Float problem. The carb is leaking fuel by and filling the motor. Check that tang out that Merryman suggested.