Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Quads for the Kids

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quads for the Kids

I'm in the market for some ATV's for the kids, and had a few questions.

My son is 10 and we were looking at getting him either Polaris Predator 90,Bombardier DS90.
Both the Pred and the DS90 looked a bit small for his size. we've been also looking even the Yamaha Breeze
but its a 125cc. He has driven a Yamaha Badger and an off brand 80 several times before.

My daughter is 7, we looking at getting her the Bombardier DS50 or the Polaris Scrambler 50
possibly even a 90 both kids are tall and big for their age.

I am more incline to purchase whichever brand has the full floorboards and is fully automatic.
but I don’t know if I should just go for the 90cc for my daughter and the 125cc for my son.

I know what the manufactures "recommendations" are, and even that some states have adopted those recommendations as laws, and some riding areas have those rules. But when your knees touch the fenders
and it looks your sitting on something that looks like an infant should be sitting one it.. Come on...

anyways on with my questions

1) How durable are the ones that I have mentioned, has anyone had problems with them.

2) What about the shocks on them, are they any account, or plain useless

2) Is there a major difference between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke engine, as far as durability and ease of
maintenance? we were told by some friends that 2 stroke engines have to be rebuild every few years.

3) What would you purchase. Why

Thanks for your comments

Old 08-04-2003, 03:58 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that the 90 would be a good size for your daughter and something larger for the boy. When he outgrows it you can pass it down to your daughter[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] As for the ones you listed the only one that I know anything about is the DS90. It runs well but the suspension is really stiff!!! My neighbor bought one over a year ago for his daughter and she gets bounced all over the place on it. We have both ridden it alot in hopes of softening it up a little but it did nothing, and I'm 160, he's 200+!! The shocks cant be rebuilt and we haven't been able to find any aftermarket ones either. So, I hope this info helps ya a little in your choice...........

Old 08-04-2003, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

Mike, I would go with a DRR 50 or 90 for your girl. A DRR 90 for your son will work for a year or two but he will grow old of it quick. I would be more inclined to say go with a Blaster for him. There is an awesome DRR dealer in Georgia.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Buy a 90 then train them both on it. Like Tommy said, you're son will probably quickly outgrow it, but getting the single quad first will give you a chance to gauge their progress before committing a lot of money. When your son outgrows the 90 (my eldest, at 11, outgrew it in a few months) then look at something larger, either a Blaster if you think he can handle the fully manual quad, or a 250ex/quadsport 250 for a auto clutch model.

Just be sure they FIT the machines you buy. Even a skilled child will crash on a machine they're too small to control.

Old 08-04-2003, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would go with the breeze then he can grow into it. It has a screw to limit the speed on them. My son is 12 and for his first wheeler that is what we got him and he loves it he trys to go every where i go on my kodiak and most of the time he can.We also looked at all them and he liked the breeze.He said that the other ones all looked fake.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Guys, thanks for all the great comments,

I've never heard of the DDR, but I checked their web page and they are
about the same in cost as the big name mfg.

well I think were gonna get the Breeze for my son
and I'm leaning towards the polaris Sportsman 90 for my daughter.

Breeze is 2,699 2003 2,799 2004
Sportman is 1,899 2003

of course thats with a few hours of driving to get them

Thanks again,
I'm sure they are going to enjoy them

Old 08-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Range Rover

The Pred 90 is good to start with, although for your son, if you have had him out with you before,might benefit from a larger quad. Our 11 year old whips around on our Pred 90 , but over the weekend we were up at a family's farm and he spent most of his time on their big bear...he is also pining to get on my Trailboss. Our daughter is 6 and our youngest son is 5 and they love the Pred 90...I am thinking another year before they want something bigger and badder [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

They all seem to handle the quad with out a problem, although finger length can be an issue...being able to reach the brakes seems a challenge.

Old 08-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Mike, That is MSRP you are seeing on the web site.

Old 08-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

so TRex what do the 90's actually run in the neighborhood.

and where in Ga is Dealer, I will already be driving to
Chattanooga TN for the Sportsman 90,

Old 08-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

$1895, If you can catch them going to a race then they can deliver to a lot of areas. Otherwise they are 1 hr east of Atlanta.

Quick Reply: Quads for the Kids