Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Bad vibes and too much gas.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-1999, 06:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently rode my '85 Odyssey FL350R for the first time since I purchased it. When I purchased it had a blown motor, so I had the bottom and top ends totally rebuilt at a local shop. After getting it home I took it for a test ride. Right off the bat I noticed several problems.

#1) This thing vvibbbrrates! My hands go numb after riding for 15-20 min. I feel the vibrations through the steering and through the seat. Is this normal? Does yours vibrate? I visually inspected all the motor mounts, no flaws. I also checked all the exhaust mounts they also are in great shape. It vibrates worse while revving it in neutral than it does when clutch is engaged and vehicle is in motion. Could a bad primary drive clutch be causing this?

#2) Do they all run really rich on the factory settings? Mine had the stock #142 main jet and is all stock with the exception of a K&N filter and header wrap on the exhaust. I am running the fuel oil mix @ 20:1 per manufacture's recommendation. The needle and slide are at stock settings and when they rebuilt the motor they thoroughly cleaned the carb. Both days that I ran it where VERY humid and around 75-80 degrees.

Low and mid range pull really hard, but when it starts to get near the end of the mid range and into the upper rpm it would fall on its face, big time. It would lose most of its power and bog down bad, back off to about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and it would pick back up where it left off. It would also flood if I shut it off and tried to restart it while hot. I checked the plug: it was black. So I re-jetted it with a #140, no change, out came the #140 in went a #138, no change. That's the smallest jet I have so I have ordered some smaller ones.

On a whim, I removed the airbox cover. Runs like a top, with no top end bogging, no problem starting hot. Anyone ever experience anything like this? I plan on adding another larger snorkel to the air box to improve airflow. Any other suggestions?