Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Max6X6 vs Polaris Sportsman 6X6

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-1999, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Max. I'm glad you're happy with your machine. I have a question for you. How do you think one of the Polaris Sportsman 6X6 ATV's would compare to the max6x6 in various categories such as ride comfort, speed, mud, etc. etc. You know; all the categories they normally use to compare utility or sport utility machines. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has ridden each and can offer a useful insight into what each machine can do better than the other.

I have not ridden a max6x6, but I have ridden the Polaris. I will say about the Polaris. I was surprized at how much it resembled a normal 4 wheel ATV in steering an turning radius. It seemed to be geared lower than most Polaris ATVs, so I doubt it would run 50-60 MPH like the bigger Polaris'. I would estimate top speed in the 45-50 MPH range since the bigger Polaris Ranger can do 40MPH with the same engine. I traversed fallen logs straight on or at an angle quite easily without feeling tippy, (this surprized me also, as the machine looks like it would get tippy if it crossed a log at an angle). Mud capabilities were certainly better than any stock 4X4 I know of. It is rather expensive, as a new one is around $7500.

Let's see if anyone has any comments.

------------------

Old 10-11-1999, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

Although they are quite different, there are some comparable features.

Some Max/Argo etc. 6x6s and Ranger/Sportsman 6x6s offer tracks for extra traction in various surfaces.

The Polaris 6x6s can't compare to the others in the respect that it won't float. The Max is much like a boat in many respects.

The Polaris 6x6s are much faster however, with top speeds nearly double of a stock Max.

One major difference however, would be suspension. The Polaris Sportsman 500 6x6 is the only fully suspended 6x6 on the market. There is no real suspension system on an Amphibious 6x6. That makes for a much better ride, especially at high speeds (not that a stock Max goes very fast anyway, but the guy down the street has an Argo that will now do well over 30 mph due to a little tranny work and a Yamaha 2 stroke engine). It's one hell of a ride in that thing at that kind ofspeed. Suspension would change it quite a bit.

Please excuse me for stating the obvious but I guess this gives everyone else some things to compare.

Old 10-12-1999, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Don't forget the Ranger, it is fully also suspended.

I think the the Sportsman 6x6 could float,it has 6 25" tires, but not with extra weight on it.

Arctic Cat 500, A cat that likes to get wet

Old 10-12-1999, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer

The Ranger is no longer on the market. I said that the Sportsman 6x6 is the only fully suspended 6x6 on the market.

------------------
Want a Magnum or Sportsman 500!!!

Old 10-12-1999, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sure the Ranger is still on the market. We have about 10 of them at the shop ready for some assembly and then on to the show room floor or the demo line. You might be thinking about the Big Boss 6X6 which has been replaced by the Sportsman 6X6. The big boss came in three different engine combinations over the years that I know of. It had the 500 & 425 four stroke engnes and was also offered with the 400 two stroke. AND I think it once came with the 250 two stroke, but I've never seen one, and I'm not for sure it came in this configuration.

Old 10-19-1999, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer

Okay, I retract that messege....I don't know where I read that, but if i find it, I'll "un-retract" that messege.

------------------
Want a Magnum or Sportsman 500!!!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

[QUOTE=Ed_Kowalsky;38781]Hey Max. I'm glad you're happy with your machine. I have a question for you. How do you think one of the Polaris Sportsman 6X6 ATV's would compare to the max6x6 in various categories such as ride comfort, speed, mud, etc. etc. You know; all the categories they normally use to compare utility or sport utility machines. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has ridden each and can offer a useful insight into what each machine can do better than the other.

I have not ridden a max6x6, but I have ridden the Polaris. I will say about the Polaris. I was surprized at how much it resembled a normal 4 wheel ATV in steering an turning radius. It seemed to be geared lower than most Polaris ATVs, so I doubt it would run 50-60 MPH like the bigger Polaris'. I would estimate top speed in the 45-50 MPH range since the bigger Polaris Ranger can do 40MPH with the same engine. I traversed fallen logs straight on or at an angle quite easily without feeling tippy, (this surprized me also, as the machine looks like it would get tippy if it crossed a log at an angle). Mud capabilities were certainly better than any stock 4X4 I know of. It is rather expensive, as a new one is around $7500.

Let's see if anyone has any coments

Old 01-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just got a2000 500 6x6 and before I got it I hated polaris I was a honda guy every polaris I had owned gave me nothing but problems but the sportsman 500 6x6 is the best money I've ever spent on an atv I love it. I live on a farm in charleston sc and it's right on the inter coastal water way. So I have had it in salt water putting in my 23ft boat pluff mud regular mud water hills sand plowed fields and it goes through everything without a problem. I have never been more pleased with an atv that can pull hard work hard and play hard. I will never go back to another machine

Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

14 year old thread... LOL

Old 03-28-2014, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you for this thread, guys! I really hope someone chimes in with a comparison, because I'm thinking about picking up either an Argo or a Max myself. I really do want something that will float, though, as it very well may be necessary.

*sits back to wait patiently and listen to the crickets chirp*

Quick Reply: Max6X6 vs Polaris Sportsman 6X6