Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Max6X6 vs Polaris Sportsman 6X6

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_Warhorse
Thank you for this thread, guys! I really hope someone chimes in with a comparison, because I'm thinking about picking up either an Argo or a Max myself. I really do want something that will float, though, as it very well may be necessary.

*sits back to wait patiently and listen to the crickets chirp*
The guy dredged up a 15 year old thread just in time for you Warhorse!!!

Seriously though, the newest Polaris 6x6 has a few things that have been improved over the older ones. The new one has all independent suspension and each axle has a gearbox. This gives it ground clearance on par with a regular quad. Also, has the 800, a proven bulletproof engine. The older machines (Pre-2012??) had swing arm axles in the rear with the final axle being chain driven off the middle axle. Maybe six inches of ground clearance. Still, I don't see it going over anything more than about 18".

Old 03-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Older ones were way harder to service compared to the newer ones,plus hard riding machines back then and all those chains and sprockets. Didn't mind one bit to see the chains and sprockets go..

Attached Thumbnails Max6X6 vs Polaris Sportsman 6X6
-15429131.jpg  
Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
The guy dredged up a 15 year old thread just in time for you Warhorse!!!

Seriously though, the newest Polaris 6x6 has a few things that have been improved over the older ones. The new one has all independent suspension and each axle has a gearbox. This gives it ground clearance on par with a regular quad. Also, has the 800, a proven bulletproof engine. The older machines (Pre-2012??) had swing arm axles in the rear with the final axle being chain driven off the middle axle. Maybe six inches of ground clearance. Still, I don't see it going over anything more than about 18".

Yeah, they sure did, MooseHenden, and I'm not complaining.

The Polaris 6x6 has one big detraction to it: it doesn't float and the wheels are too darned far apart. The reason I'm looking at the Argo and Max over the Polaris (or anything similar) is because I may need that ability to float and I will most definitely need the ability to use a single track on each side, rather than two front and two back.

Plus, I love the idea of being able to use the AATV as a fishing boat and photography platform in local lakes (including the lake and canals here in Ocean Shores). I'd actually use it a heckuva lot more than I'd use a regular ATV, that's for sure.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Older ones were way harder to service compared to the newer ones,plus hard riding machines back then and all those chains and sprockets. Didn't mind one bit to see the chains and sprockets go..

The older AATV machines sound like a maintenance nightmare. If I'm really lucky, I may be able to do some of the maintenance myself on the new machine, but if not, at least I can take it to the local ATV dealer and have them work on it.

As for the ride, I'm not really worried. I'll be using it in its amphibious capacity, for the most part, until/unless I need to use it to get out of Dodge after a big quake before the tsunami hits.