Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Why I would buy a Max

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-1999, 06:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reason in the world I would ever buy a max is if the only type of terrain I rode was amazing mud and lots of water. I respect its ability to be able to do this. Maybe I would buy it if there was barly a trail and the terrain was bad.

------------------
Evan Johnson 99 400EX 88 LT250R I apologize ahead of time for my bad spelling/typing

Old 12-30-1999, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

My uncle is getting a 6x6, not a Max but an Argo. He likes it because it will make it easyier for him and his freind with scoliocas(spelling) to get to the duck blind with out haveing to go from Quad to boat. Besides it's one less thing(the boat) we will have to drag back to camp.

Old 12-30-1999, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I could afford both the Max and my quad,I'd probably still not buy one.I'd buy another quad.The Max just does'nt fit my riding style.Slow,bulky,to wide,not really impressive in water unless it has no current or is completly in still water,and than it's top speed in still water is 4mph.I'd rather be in a boat anyday.====BILL

------------------

Old 12-30-1999, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with you Bill, I wouldn't have a need for one either. Like where Maxrules rides, he lives in a jungle or something, has mud all the time and has access to water. Where I live, we had an extremely dry fall, so no mud, now the ground is froze, and no access to water. We have all wide open trails, one along a highway where we can race cars and trucks going on the highway. What's neat is when it's dusty and I'm racing alongside a convertible, they must get dusted out if someone is sitting in the back! How much fun would I have with a Max? Also, when we round up all the machines and go on our annual big trailride, we often are riding at speeds of 40mph or more. How would I feel riding alone, way behind everyone else? Also, right now the ground is froze, I know for a fact it would ride bumpy as hell through some of the fields, there is no give at all.

Old 12-30-1999, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Engineer and Boner are exactly right about why you would want a 6x6. They are not designed for high speed riding in just open trails. They are made for the terrain where the top speed would be about 10mph and where nothing else could make it through. The Argo will be perfect for duck hunting. Like Boner said, the Argo not only gets you there but it is also your boat. I have tried quads in my area and they just can't take me where I want to go. The creek is the major limitation a quad has here. If I couldn't cross it my riding area would be extremely limited. I use my Max a lot for fishing. I like the two passenger seating and cargo area. It has plenty of speed and is small enough to go anywhere.

MaxRules

Old 12-30-1999, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Max6x6,

I still don't want one. I like to ride with my hair on fire(figurativly of course). I like fish tailling, 3 and 2 wheelin, and I know that any 6x6 is not going to fit in the trails I ride.

Old 12-31-1999, 01:28 AM
Range Rover

I think Max lives in the Amazon or somthing. Maybe its Veitnam, not to sure

------------------
Evan Johnson 99 400EX 88 LT250R

I apologize ahead of time for my bad spelling/typing

Old 12-31-1999, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Better watch out, I hear those Vietnamese head hunters are pretty quick in those crafty little canoes!

Old 12-31-1999, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Who needs a canoe when u got a Max?

Old 02-08-2000, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

My apologies for contributing to this thread so late, and to those who would prefer to see it die, but in browsing through the “new” forum I came across it and as a Max owner feel compelled to post.

My ATV experience began with my first Max in ’93. It was a brand new Max IV with “everything” on it and said to be the biggest, baddest machine you could trail. (while in the “b” section of the dictionary they should have added “broken” to the description list) I had more problems with bearings, chains and axles than can be listed here.

Failures aside, we bought that machine for several reasons. First, where we live we’re boxed in on three sides by water; a big river in our front yard (east), its convergence with another river ½ mile south, and a long lake 1/3 mile west. Except for a 40 acre patch between us and the lake the quads are pretty much useless here. Across the big river we have a couple thousand acres of thick river-bottom woods and marsh areas to hunt and play on but the only access to it is from the river. There is also good fishing available in sloughs that are inaccessible by boat in low water but easily gotten to and fished from a Max. Our duck blind on Duck Creek is a quick 15 minutes across the river and through the woods in our Max whereas it used to be an hour of canoeing, portaging and canoeing again. Nothing could be more appropriate for this situation than an amphibious machine.

With that said I’ll offer a few observations about the Max that will be far more realistic than some of the claims and criticisms made on this forum. On the subject of reliability, our first Max was a lemon. I spent far more time fixing it than driving it. Recreatives Industries abandoned me during the warranty, claiming owner abuse. Our second, a ’97 Max IV “with everything” on it has had its problems but has been a better machine.

They do better in current than you’d think. With the 26” tires ours will cross our 3-5mph flowing river with no problem at all. Short upstream trips are possible but as tedious as watching paint dry. In mud I’ve seen no advantage of a Max over our Polaris quads. In fact I’d give the quads the nod for better performance in this area but ours are well set for mudding with lift kits and mud tires. The Max really shines in terrain that includes water. It’ll stick like a dart in thick mud with no water. My hopes for using it to fish from were seriously overestimated. They float like a bobber with the slightest shift in weight resulting in a very unstable feeling. I set mine up with a trolling motor on the front and a “bike seat” to cast from and found that “boat control” was nonexistent compared to the fishing boats I’m used to. After all the work and expense that went into setting it up to fish from I’d had enough after less than a half-dozen tries. Can you fish from a Max? Sure you can. Can you do it comfortably? Not in my opinion.

What motivated us toward quads was the abuse to ourselves and our Max incurred on just a few trips up north to Iron Co. This is one of the most “mountain-like” areas in this state and there’s just no way the Max can handle the stress of this kind of terrain. And without suspension we couldn’t handle the stress of driving it in that terrain either. On a typical quading weekend we’ll put on 100-250 miles. That’s just not possible in a Max due to the slow speeds, made even slower by enduring the punishment of the slightest bumps. It’s simply not the right tool for the job up there.

Around home though the quads don’t get much use, and since we’re so spoiled by their comfort and abilities our Max doesn’t get much use anymore either. We take it across the river for duck and deer hunting and the very occasional pleasure outing but that’s it. And right now it hasn’t been used since the first of December. That’s when I and a friend took it across the river to get our portable deer stands down and one of the brake bands inside the transmission broke, leaving us with power to only one side. In this condition it does circles real well but that’s about it. We fought with it, dragging the front end over to “point” it till we finally got it out of the woods. I inflated a raft carried on it to get back across the river and we towed it home with the boat and then the quads. RI warranteed the brake band as an “unusual” break, but the dealer charged me $150 to install it and I had to pull the motor and the tranny to bring it to him. It currently sits in pieces in my shop waiting to be reassembled while we enjoy riding the sled trails of northern WI on our quads.